{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Do we need another striker?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:16 pm

however it’s the middle of midfield we need to sort, worried about Bish n mini Bish to partner Mellis, get that sorted an we are away, ofcourse i’m counting Bobby back too
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9326
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:47 pm

I think that midfield and defence are the greater urgency.
Full marks for bringing in Maynard & Cook - but once again, we lack that 'midfield general' and we have barely any cover for the defence should we get any injuries or suspensions (and we have had 3 of those already, only two games in!)
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby tiptop » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Vice President wrote:I think that midfield and defence are the greater urgency.
Full marks for bringing in Maynard & Cook - but once again, we lack that 'midfield general' and we have barely any cover for the defence should we get any injuries or suspensions (and we have had 3 of those already, only two games in!)


I would like too see donohue be given a chance, played in lg1 last year, would like to see 3 5 2 line up....

................... Bobby.............

Preston... Chief... Sweeney........
.......Bish...... Donohue..... Holding midfielders
White....... Mellis playmaker...... Khan.....
............... Rose...... Maynard.....

Subs, cj great impact player, benning, cook, Gordon, tomlison, couple young lads plus sign timi elsnik..
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm

tiptop wrote:
Vice President wrote:I think that midfield and defence are the greater urgency.
Full marks for bringing in Maynard & Cook - but once again, we lack that 'midfield general' and we have barely any cover for the defence should we get any injuries or suspensions (and we have had 3 of those already, only two games in!)


I would like too see donohue be given a chance, played in lg1 last year, would like to see 3 5 2 line up....

................... Bobby.............

Preston... Chief... Sweeney........
.......Bish...... Donohue..... Holding midfielders
White....... Mellis playmaker...... Khan.....
............... Rose...... Maynard.....

Subs, cj great impact player, benning, cook, Gordon, tomlison, couple young lads plus sign timi elsnik..


Khan LWB :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6179
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am

I am not sure why Donohue not been playing really as I thought he was one of our better signings of the season?
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby nick_stags » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:01 am

tillydog123 wrote:I am not sure why Donohue not been playing really as I thought he was one of our better signings of the season?


He's been injured and had no pre-season.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:34 am

Ta nick, was not sure if he was fully fit yet but thought he could had had a guest appearance in one of the second halfs to give him some minutes at least.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby WVStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 am

The midfield needs a quality addition.

Bishop is 54, Tomlinson is average at the very best, McDonald is a worthy squad player because you know what you'll get, Mellis is oustanding and Donohue we take a gamble on because as Nick said, he came in miles off being fit. That's not enough quality or depth for a team that wants to go up.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby Conker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:49 am

Bishop 54, Tomlinson average, Mellis outstanding :lol: :lol:
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby WVStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am

Conker wrote:Bishop 54, Tomlinson average, Mellis outstanding :lol: :lol:


Is there an inaccuracy in there chief? There isn't, but I'll ask to be polite.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm

WVStag wrote:
Conker wrote:Bishop 54, Tomlinson average, Mellis outstanding :lol: :lol:


Is there an inaccuracy in there chief? There isn't, but I'll ask to be polite.

One glaring one
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13566
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby ParisStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm

WVStag wrote:The midfield needs a quality addition.

Bishop is 54, Tomlinson is average at the very best, McDonald is a worthy squad player because you know what you'll get, Mellis is oustanding and Donohue we take a gamble on because as Nick said, he came in miles off being fit. That's not enough quality or depth for a team that wants to go up.


Don't think any of us have seen enough of Tomlinson or know how he'll develop in his first full season to say he's average. Bishop is old, but is still very good for this league and an important leader in the team. The rest I agree with.
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4992
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Agree I think Tomlinson has not been given anything like the chance yet to shine and would not be classed as average in my view and could become a really good player for us and has a good passing range as proved at Exeter last season.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Tomlinson has done nothing wrong when hes played. Think hes always looked bright and positive.... Good on the ball, can tackle, good at threading the ball through and can pick a pass.. probably needs to work on wanting to be on the ball more and taking a grip of a game but I think he could be a very good player given the time.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Tomlinson has done nothing wrong when hes played. Think hes always looked bright and positive.... Good on the ball, can tackle, good at threading the ball through and can pick a pass.. probably needs to work on wanting to be on the ball more and taking a grip of a game but I think he could be a very good player given the time.


Mmm you weren't at the Northampton or MK Dons games then? Agree he can develop into a good player but to say he's done nothing wrong is not true.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5247
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree I think Tomlinson has not been given anything like the chance yet to shine and would not be classed as average in my view and could become a really good player for us and has a good passing range as proved at Exeter last season.


Not been given the chance? He started most of the games towards the back end of last season and was for the most part a liability, which showed when he got dragged off after 30 minutes at MK Dons, and him getting subbed off at home to Newport in the 2nd leg when he was again very ineffective. When the pressure was on he didn't seem to want to take any responsibility on the ball and instead repeatedly just smashed the ball down the channels whenever the chance came.
Cleveland_Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby WVStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:49 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Conker wrote:Bishop 54, Tomlinson average, Mellis outstanding :lol: :lol:


Is there an inaccuracy in there chief? There isn't, but I'll ask to be polite.

One glaring one


No, there isn't.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Mellis is not outstanding. He’s good for league two, but nothing to write home about. He’s not ever done much outstanding since he’s been here imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2994
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Mellis is not outstanding. He’s good for league two, but nothing to write home about. He’s not ever done much outstanding since he’s been here imo.



he was crap under Evans, but he hardly saw the ball as it bypassed midfield most of the time. under flitcroft I think he was much better and we need to see more of that but ultimately he is inconsistent - a trait of many league two footballers
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5400
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby tibby » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 pm

If Mellis is the focal point of our midfield, we will
Not go up.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Re: Do we need another striker?

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm

tibby wrote:If Mellis is the focal point of our midfield, we will
Not go up.


he’s be best we got unless i’m missing something ?
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9326
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: awalkinthepark, Martin Shaw, Oak Tree Stag, smulls, w12stag, x-type and 31 guests