{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Laws of the game - changes coming into effect next season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Laws of the game - changes coming into effect next seaso

Postby Bros » Tue May 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Sneag wrote:
Gruff wrote:
Sneag wrote:I'd like to see the reintroduction of the two footed lunge from behind, protection for goalkeepers removed, muddy pitches, baggy shorts, manly handshakes for goal celebrations and players that still enjoy a bowl of rough orange at half time.

Jumpers for goalposts?

Yes & the owner of the ball decides if a shot went over or not, acceptable range 3ft to 20ft.

A foul shall not be deemed as a foul as long as the fouler makes an audible claim of 'I went for the ball' before breaking both legs of the foulee.

Throw ins optional. Players can take a throwor leap into the crowd and try to hack the ball back into play from the stand.

20 a side, our street against your street and the game only ends when at least 3 players from both teams have been called in for tea by their mothers
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 28, 2019 2:13 pm

Better still, if the ball belongs to you and you're losing you go home with said ball and the game becomes null and void and has to be replayed at a later date... usually when you've got some bigger boys in your side :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue May 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Spiritater wrote:Better still, if the ball belongs to you and you're losing you go home with said ball and the game becomes null and void and has to be replayed at a later date... usually when you've got some bigger boys in your side :D

That's the FAW isn't it?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Next goal winner even if you are losing by loads.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue May 28, 2019 7:46 pm

How about ‘one man Wembley’ between the two sides. Though the poor sods that score first in the first round will be bloody cold by the time the next round is played during night games on a cold Tuesday in Stoke in December.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Wed May 29, 2019 8:07 am

or resort to rushbacks if your goalie has scored the most goals and your drawing 34 all after the 650th minute.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bros » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:21 pm

An interesting point was raised yesterday during the grumpy old men's monthly walk. One of the new rules is that a goal kick does not have to go out of the box but the other team cannot enter the box until another player has touched the ball. So you are leading 1 0 with a minute to go and you have a goal kick. The goalie touches the ball but. no defender does so it is stalemate until the final whistle goes. Does the ref have the authority to make the defending team play the ball
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Bros wrote:An interesting point was raised yesterday during the grumpy old men's monthly walk. One of the new rules is that a goal kick does not have to go out of the box but the other team cannot enter the box until another player has touched the ball. So you are leading 1 0 with a minute to go and you have a goal kick. The goalie touches the ball but. no defender does so it is stalemate until the final whistle goes. Does the ref have the authority to make the defending team play the ball

Once the ball becomes dead im sure it becomes an indirect freekick to the opposition so its either touch the ball or risk an indirect freekick in your own penalty area.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:14 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Bros wrote:An interesting point was raised yesterday during the grumpy old men's monthly walk. One of the new rules is that a goal kick does not have to go out of the box but the other team cannot enter the box until another player has touched the ball. So you are leading 1 0 with a minute to go and you have a goal kick. The goalie touches the ball but. no defender does so it is stalemate until the final whistle goes. Does the ref have the authority to make the defending team play the ball

Once the ball becomes dead im sure it becomes an indirect freekick to the opposition so its either touch the ball or risk an indirect freekick in your own penalty area.

The ball would not be dead- it would still be in play. However the referee could ( and probably would) deem the action to be unsportsmanlike conduct. His/her action would be to stop play and caution the keeper( or the defender if the keeper had definitely played it towards them). Play would be restarted with an indirect free kick to the opposition. Since this would be in the penalty area, it would not be something you would want to do.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:29 pm

I think you could get away with it, technically. It's more a gentleman's agreement type thing not to do it. An unwritten rule as it were. A bit like when a keeper releases the ball on the edge of his box and his hand is technically just outside the area when the ball is released. It is handball by definition but is generally ignored because of how tight it is.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:32 pm

Wrong

Once the keeper plays the ball the ball is live and in play. The attacker only has to be outside the penalty area until the keeper kicks the ball. Once the ball is kicked by the keeper the attacker can play the ball and score if he wants to.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:18 pm

part time pete wrote:

Wrong

Once the keeper plays the ball the ball is live and in play. The attacker only has to be outside the penalty area until the keeper kicks the ball. Once the ball is kicked by the keeper the attacker can play the ball and score if he wants to.

Yes, you are correct. I was thrown off scent by the wording of the original statement.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Upper West » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:49 pm

Another rule change which someone pointed out on Saturday is relating to trainers coming on the pitch.

A Newport player was injured just in front of us but by the time the trainers arrived he was up on his feet so they did nothing. I thought he still had to go off but that has changed apparently.

There was an instance last season, I think, where an opposition player went down by the centre circle and ref waved the trainer on. Player got up and waved them away but he still had to go off the pitch although he did not receive any treatment.

The other one that could be interesting is that Bristol City are not going to put the ball out of play if a player is on the ground. There was one instance in the match on Sunday where a Leeds player was down and they carried on playing. They have warned clubs that they will be doing it.

Wonder if anyone else will start doing that?
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 am

They can change what they like if it improves the game and stops cheating.

I would like to see the rule re trainers modified to, if a player is injured due to being fouled the player does not have to leave the field of play after receiving the trainers attention.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:45 am

oldweststander wrote:They can change what they like if it improves the game and stops cheating.

I would like to see the rule re trainers modified to, if a player is injured due to being fouled the player does not have to leave the field of play after receiving the trainers attention.

I may be mistaken but isn't that already a rule ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 am

Gruff wrote:
Sneag wrote:I'd like to see the reintroduction of the two footed lunge from behind, protection for goalkeepers removed, muddy pitches, baggy shorts, manly handshakes for goal celebrations and players that still enjoy a bowl of rough orange at half time.

Jumpers for goalposts?

The reintroduction of the old style, leather "casey" footballs which, when wet, felt like heading a medicine ball.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
oldweststander wrote:They can change what they like if it improves the game and stops cheating.

If the player committing the foul is yellow carded, the injured player does not have to leave the field. Play can start as and when the injured player is fit to continue.

If no yellow card is issued, the injured player would have to leave the pitch and await permission to come back on from the ref.

Not many refs know or at least don’t carry out this ruling
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 pm

frt1987 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

If the player committing the foul is yellow carded, the injured player does not have to leave the field. Play can start as and when the injured player is fit to continue.

If no yellow card is issued, the injured player would have to leave the pitch and await permission to come back on from the ref.

Not many refs know or at least don’t carry out this ruling

I've posted before that this is so wrong and unfair. Your goalscorer is chopped down outside the area and the defender not booked. So you have to take the free kick one man down and your chief threat at that whereas the defence are mob handed at full strength.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum