{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thread not really about new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Jimstag, that's against the rules and the spirit of internet forums.

What have you heard... No need to reveal your 'sauce'.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby tillydog123 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes think CJ time done
Turner would be a very good signing and only trouble for him might be injuries at his age and stage of his career.


Also don't buy this tired out rubbish

You would never hear about Kevin bird or Sandy being burned out!!
Agree Bish is the only one overplayed.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3168
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue May 28, 2019 4:56 pm

west country stag wrote:CJ needs shipping out , overrated imo as he blows hot & cold ... & we can do better than him !


You need to stay away from the tipex fella :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3260
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby pemill » Tue May 28, 2019 5:41 pm

west country stag wrote:CJ needs shipping out , overrated imo as he blows hot & cold ... & we can do better than him !

Who you got in mind ? What's their availability?
pemill
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:32 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 28, 2019 5:50 pm

west country stag wrote:CJ needs shipping out , overrated imo as he blows hot & cold ... & we can do better than him !



the lad scored 14 goals and was played in about 4 different positions every game. That's not overrated to me, behind walker he was our biggest goal threat.

as for the blows hot and cold, have you never watched league 2 football before? that's like every player who's in this league, and the ones who just blow hot don't stay here for long. you say we can do better, let's hear some names then
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 5:59 pm

The CJ out brigade are baffling. He scored double figure goals, haven’t got the stats on assists at the moment. Ok his technique could improve but there’s plenty of time for that and he can only get better. See Rajeev Sterling, still not technically brilliant but scores goals for fun. It’s about end product at the end of the day.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4888
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby tmwilson » Tue May 28, 2019 6:13 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
west country stag wrote:CJ needs shipping out , overrated imo as he blows hot & cold ... & we can do better than him !



the lad scored 14 goals and was played in about 4 different positions every game. That's not overrated to me, behind walker he was our biggest goal threat.

as for the blows hot and cold, have you never watched league 2 football before? that's like every player who's in this league, and the ones who just blow hot don't stay here for long. you say we can do better, let's hear some names then


Ageee 100% with everything you put there Bobby.
CJ has improved every season he's been with us..
As stated, he was played in different positions which not only affected his play but the teams. He's far from the finished article but if fans can't see his progress then they need to give their head a shake.
Although Benning likes to get forward, when White got injured then we had to rely on Hamilton and when he's played either on the left, right, up front or wing back then no wonder the lad was occasionally inconsistent. My biggest criticism of Flitcroft was playing certain players in wrong positions. Grant included.
CJ would be a big loss to us.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Kenwood » Tue May 28, 2019 6:21 pm

I have a feeling CJ might go to Forest with one of their youngsters and some cash coming the other way. No knowledge just a feeling.

I don’t think CJ is Championship quality yet but he would be someone I would take a chance on for the kind of fee talked about. He has the potential to be a very good left wing back at that level and is still only 22?
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby SidneyOttewell » Tue May 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Someone from Charlton Athletic watching CJ in the play-off second leg. Came straight from their win at Doncaster.....left after 90 mins.
User avatar
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:25 pm
Location: Mansfield

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue May 28, 2019 8:00 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:Someone from Charlton Athletic watching CJ in the play-off second leg. Came straight from their win at Doncaster.....left after 90 mins.


Sid, any chance it could be a ground hopper with public transport connections?
I am Spartacus
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby SidneyOttewell » Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
SidneyOttewell wrote:Someone from Charlton Athletic watching CJ in the play-off second leg. Came straight from their win at Doncaster.....left after 90 mins.


Sid, any chance it could be a ground hopper with public transport connections?


Could have been, but he was messaging two very prominent CA employees so I doubt it.
User avatar
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:25 pm
Location: Mansfield

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby lifestags » Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 pm

Bowyer said he loved him after our games with them.
lifestags
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1563
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Vice President » Tue May 28, 2019 8:37 pm

I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:43 pm

Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.


Spot on lad
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6001
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.


Correct VP.

Someone on here was also talking nostalgically about Jamie McGuire, saying he would have made the difference between play-offs and automatics.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4888
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.


Correct VP.

Someone on here was also talking nostalgically about Jamie McGuire, saying he would have made the difference between play-offs and automatics.
Actually what I said was we missed a Jamie McGuire type player, someone with his tanicity but more skill. I still maintain we missed someone who was in the face of the opposition with a never say die attitude. Someone like Perkins and Ladabie. Someone with the grit and determination to achieve the objective. The way McGuire put his heart and soul into his play and helped us avoid relegation not so long ago. Bishop did that for us during the season to a certain extent, but ran out of steam towards the end. Unfortunately we didn't have a back up.

I don't mind you quoting me, but please do it more accurately.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.


Correct VP.

Someone on here was also talking nostalgically about Jamie McGuire, saying he would have made the difference between play-offs and automatics.
Actually what I said was we missed a Jamie McGuire type player, someone with his tanicity but more skill. I still maintain we missed someone who was in the face of the opposition with a never say die attitude. Someone like Perkins and Ladabie. Someone with the grit and determination to achieve the objective. The way McGuire put his heart and soul into his play and helped us avoid relegation not so long ago. Bishop did that for us during the season to a certain extent, but ran out of steam towards the end. Unfortunately we didn't have a back up.

I don't mind you quoting me, but please do it more accurately.


Where have I quote you inaccurately? You used Jamie McGuire as the style of player which we missed, which is rubbish. We didn't lose to MK Dons or Newport because we missed someone who could wind up the opposition, foul people and lose the ball every time he got it. But he's fondly remembered because he's a nice bloke who ran round like a headless chicken and then clapped the fans after.

MacDonald has 'tenacity', Tomlinson has 'tenacity'.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4888
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby DE STAG » Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 am

Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.

100 percent this.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 am

I don't 'doubt' their abilities. We know that when both of them are on form they are quality..

Despite walker's goals, which you simply can not argue with, he just seemed to float about the place. CJ was Flitcrofts pet so was played in every position conceivable before being replaced which was sometimes the last option. The fact is that these two were potentially our 'game changers'. But for me they didn't have the impact they should have. Now whether that's down to tactics or because we lacked a 'Davies type' player is open to debate.

If Dempster can get CJ firing twice as often, we'll have a million pound player, easy. As for walker, someone mentioned that if he goes back to Forest he goes back to being Des Walker's son rather than being his own man elsewhere. This is true for me because he's not good enough for the championship. Even if he goes to L1, I think that's his ceiling for the moment on the basis that he joins a top-half team.

I don't think anyone is a hard-line 'they were rubbish' or 'they were amazing'. I'm somewhere in between, but what's for sure is without them, our season would have looked a lot worse.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Wed May 29, 2019 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:I don't 'doubt' their abilities. We know that when both of them are on form they are quality..

For me I'm just disappointed that for large parts of the season both CJ and Walker went missing.

Despite walker's goals, which you simply can not argue with, he just seemed to float about the place. CJ was Flitcrofts pet so was played in every position conceivable before being replaced which was sometimes the last option. The fact is that these two were potentially our 'game changers'. But for me they didn't have the impact they should have. Now whether that's down to tactics or because we lacked a 'Davies type' player is open to debate.

I don't think anyone is a hard-line 'they were rubbish' or 'they were amazing'. I'm somewhere in between.


If it was a toss up between Tyler Walker ‘floating about the place’ and being in the right place at the right time scoring 25+ goals or a Danny Rose type who will run all day but scores 5 goals I’ll be going with Walker every day of the week personally. I want my striker to do what they are paid to do, score goals. If they do that consistently what they do in between is a bonus in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:I don't 'doubt' their abilities. We know that when both of them are on form they are quality..

For me I'm just disappointed that for large parts of the season both CJ and Walker went missing.

Despite walker's goals, which you simply can not argue with, he just seemed to float about the place. CJ was Flitcrofts pet so was played in every position conceivable before being replaced which was sometimes the last option. The fact is that these two were potentially our 'game changers'. But for me they didn't have the impact they should have. Now whether that's down to tactics or because we lacked a 'Davies type' player is open to debate.

I don't think anyone is a hard-line 'they were rubbish' or 'they were amazing'. I'm somewhere in between.

Maybe it will take a year in mid table with Danny Rose misfiring and no game changing players on the pitch to realise how amazing CJ and Walker were last season.

The bit I have highlighted is laughable and unbelievable - they scored almost 40 goals between them. They had a HUGE impact on our season.
stagsfan6493
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:37 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.


Correct VP.

Someone on here was also talking nostalgically about Jamie McGuire, saying he would have made the difference between play-offs and automatics.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Macca plays the McGuire role perfectly, running around being useless but the fans love him.
stagsfan6493
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 am

But we're still in league 2!

I get the point. I think it can be argued each way, and you could say that they definitely did their bit, it was the rest of the team who didnt chip in often enough, which on balance is probably where I am at now. And for what it's worth, I agree almost 40 goals between them is an amazing statistic.

As for goals or running. I'm predisposed to appreciate effort and results. But why is it a trade off? Why can't goalscorers put the yards in too?

If it was a choice between walker or rose, I'd have walker every time purely for his goals.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:I don't 'doubt' their abilities. We know that when both of them are on form they are quality..

For me I'm just disappointed that for large parts of the season both CJ and Walker went missing.

Despite walker's goals, which you simply can not argue with, he just seemed to float about the place. CJ was Flitcrofts pet so was played in every position conceivable before being replaced which was sometimes the last option. The fact is that these two were potentially our 'game changers'. But for me they didn't have the impact they should have. Now whether that's down to tactics or because we lacked a 'Davies type' player is open to debate.

If Dempster can get CJ firing twice as often, we'll have a million pound player, easy. As for walker, someone mentioned that if he goes back to Forest he goes back to being Des Walker's son rather than being his own man elsewhere. This is true for me because he's not good enough for the championship. Even if he goes to L1, I think that's his ceiling for the moment on the basis that he joins a top-half team.

I don't think anyone is a hard-line 'they were rubbish' or 'they were amazing'. I'm somewhere in between, but what's for sure is without them, our season would have looked a lot worse.

Walker went missing for large parts of the season. Christ almighty, he scored 25 odd goals.
You Sir, are a plonker who doesn’t know much about strikers.
Shearer, Lineker, Rush, Greaves etc also didn’t have the ball for probably much more than a few minutes per game but still scored shed loads of goals....that’s what strikers do. Deary me, I despair at some of our “Fans” !!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 29, 2019 9:02 am

Ok, maybe large parts of the season was hyperbole. I'll take that one.

CJ and Walker were our most effective players.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BH_Stag, Bing [Bot], Chander Lear, gavinbrookes, gazza1988, JLStag, lifestags, MTFCMusings, northern stag, stag324, WVStag and 62 guests