{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Aden Flint interview on Sky

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Aden Flint interview on Sky

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:26 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Aden Flint interview on Sky

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:35 am

Great interview and read, thanks for posting. I said at the start of the season that Flinty was THE piece in the Stags jigsaw and how true that's been. Well done skipper.
Last edited by Chrisuknottm on Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:23 am

Good interview and couldn’t have put it better than we’ve been dealt some harsh lessons!

Why I’m not counting any chickens yet, yes enjoying the ride (WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!) but knowing it’s not over until it’s over. Then we can allow ourselves to party.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:24 pm

Aden Flint has made a massive difference to our team. He's one of the best, if not the best, centre halfs that I have seen play for the Stags and we have had some very good ones like Stuart Boam, Kevin Bird, Colin Foster, Ian McKenzie, Mick Saxby, John McLelland, George Foster, Colin Calderwood, Simon Coleman, Kevin Gray, Brian Kilcline, Johnny Mullins, Ryan Tafazolli, Krystian Pearce etc

I was saying yesterday that if I had to pick my Mansfield Town All Time Best XI then I might pick Aden Flint to play next to Kevin Bird.

There have also been a few moments at away games when Lewis Brunt has been running forward to win headers that he has very much reminded me of a young Kevin Bird.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:31 pm

Thank you for posting the interview Martin a interesting read his shoulder sounds more serous than i thought fingers crossed
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:54 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Aden Flint has made a massive difference to our team. He's one of the best, if not the best, centre halfs that I have seen play for the Stags and we have had some very good ones like Stuat Boam, Kevin Bird, Colin Foster, Ian McKenzie, Mick Saxby, John McLelland, George Foster, Colin Calderwood, Simon Coleman, Kevin Gray, Brian Kilcline, Johnny Mullins, Ryan Tafazolli, Krystian Pearce etc

I was saying yesterday that if I had to pick my Mansfield Town All Time Best XI then I might pick Aden Flint to play next to Kevin Bird.

There have also been a few moments at away games when Lewis Brunt has been running forward to win headers that he has very much reminded me of a young Kevin Bird.

Flint has been brilliant but not a chance in hell would I pick him ahead of George! I'd pick George ahead if Birdy too. I think sometimes it's easy to forget was a magnificent centre back and captain George was.

I think Player of the Year has tightened a bit too, a month ago it was Flint by a mile but now I think Brunt and DKD certainly have a claim.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:58 pm

Would have liked to have seen him lined up with Gordon Hodgson and killer Kilcline.
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:12 pm

He comes across as such a genuine bloke and he’s been our best signing in years. You see team news before a game and it always makes me smile seeing his name, he’s way too good for League Two and he’ll still be one of the best in defenders in League One.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:15 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Aden Flint has made a massive difference to our team. He's one of the best, if not the best, centre halfs that I have seen play for the Stags and we have had some very good ones like Stuat Boam, Kevin Bird, Colin Foster, Ian McKenzie, Mick Saxby, John McLelland, George Foster, Colin Calderwood, Simon Coleman, Kevin Gray, Brian Kilcline, Johnny Mullins, Ryan Tafazolli, Krystian Pearce etc

Flint has been brilliant but not a chance in hell would I pick him ahead of George! I'd pick George ahead if Birdy too. I think sometimes it's easy to forget was a magnificent centre back and captain George was.

I think Player of the Year has tightened a bit too, a month ago it was Flint by a mile but now I think Brunt and DKD certainly have a claim.

I can't properly remember George Foster as a player. In my time watching, Flint gets in there alongside Alex John-Baptiste.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:48 pm

I'm glad he's here. It's in the mentality of supporters to try and compare good players to players of past generations, but in the here and now I think we've needed a leader on the pitch for quite a few seasons now and Flint is exactly that. Just his name on the team sheet, his experience, his size and his presence on the pitch is worth god knows how many points a season before we've even kicked off. It's made teams think about how they're going to line up against us, instead of presuming they'll play their own game and play through us that they might have done in the past. He's made us be a better team all over the pitch - Pym is conceding fewer because of him, the full backs are better because he's in the middle, the midfield is better because they know he's behind them, and they can support the forwards more because he's at the back. We're probably scoring more goals because of his presence. He's exactly the right player at exactly the right time for us. In terms of overall influence on the team and the club he should get player of the year, but it'll likely go to DKD because goals are what is noticed, but he'll be a shoe-in for League Two team of the year, and rightly so.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 pm

As I've said before Mark, if he'd been here last season we'd be in League 1 now.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:56 pm

Rob wrote:As I've said before Mark, if he'd been here last season we'd be in League 1 now.

Fully agree Rob. Not to denigrate him at all, but the player who played most minutes for us from January last year was Perch, when he wasn't even expected to be in the squad for the season. Despite Hewitt and Alfie being out for the season the defence has significantly moved on. Imagine at the end of last season saying that our then two best defenders would be out for the season but we'd be top of the league with 8 games to go.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:57 pm

If we get promotion he will go down as the best defender that most younger fans have seen at the club, and will be spoken about in future generations the way that Foster, etc. are now.

I was there, but probably a bit too young at the time to fully appreciate players like Baptiste.

Flint and prime Pearce the best 2 that I have seen at football league level for us.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:22 pm

Top 3 is the initial aim but I would love to see him lifting a trophy for us. The image would stand the test of time like the Foster photo in 87 and the Murray photo in 2013.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:25 pm

I think some players wont get the credit they deserve until they leave us, if this team takes us up (especially as champions) then they are right up there.

I think some people will always look more fondly in the past as it was their ''era'' :lol:
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:30 pm

[quote="Marky Mark"]I'm glad he's here. It's in the mentality of supporters to try and compare good players to players of past generations, but in the here and now I think we've needed a leader on the pitch for quite a few seasons now and Flint is exactly that. Just his name on the team sheet, his experience, his size and his presence on the pitch is worth god knows how many points a season before we've even kicked off. It's made teams think about how they're going to line up against us, instead of presuming they'll play their own game and play through us that they might have done in the past. He's made us be a better team all over the pitch - Pym is conceding fewer because of him, the full backs are better because he's in the middle, the midfield is better because they know he's behind them, and they can support the forwards more because he's at the back. We're probably scoring more goals because of his presence. He's exactly the right player at exactly the right time for us. In terms of overall influence on the team and the club he should get player of the year, but it'll likely go to DKD because goals are what is noticed, but he'll be a shoe-in for League Two team of the year, and rightly so.
:good_post: I was one who suggested he may be a good acquisition when he became a free agent as he’s local and remember him dominating in defence at Alfreton before departing for the EFL. Think Wednesday’s foolish decision not to offer him a contract is Stag’s gain.
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Roger_Sausage » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:34 pm

When we were away at Forest Green last month, I was stood near a bloke who'd bought his mate along to the game as a neutral. Within the first 10 minutes I overheard him say "even if he didn't have that armband on, I can just tell he's your captain, he's got that presence about him". Which I think sums him up perfectly!

He's a figurehead in the team, and when you watch opposition vlogs or read their forums, "Aden Flint" is always one of the first names they mention, it's great to have someone of that stature in the squad, even before we've kicked a ball!

Sure, there's the odd wayward pass or optimistic long ball, but I think we'll all look back on his chapter at the club and feel really fortunate to have seen him play in a Stags shirt when it comes to a close. Lots of games to come yet though, and he'll be just as much of an asset to us next season if we get promoted.
Roger_Sausage
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Aspleystag » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:56 pm

NC is going to have one hell of a difficult job picking the defence next season once Hewitt and Alfie are back.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:04 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I'm glad he's here. It's in the mentality of supporters to try and compare good players to players of past generations, but in the here and now I think we've needed a leader on the pitch for quite a few seasons now and Flint is exactly that. Just his name on the team sheet, his experience, his size and his presence on the pitch is worth god knows how many points a season before we've even kicked off. It's made teams think about how they're going to line up against us, instead of presuming they'll play their own game and play through us that they might have done in the past. He's made us be a better team all over the pitch - Pym is conceding fewer because of him, the full backs are better because he's in the middle, the midfield is better because they know he's behind them, and they can support the forwards more because he's at the back. We're probably scoring more goals because of his presence. He's exactly the right player at exactly the right time for us. In terms of overall influence on the team and the club he should get player of the year, but it'll likely go to DKD because goals are what is noticed, but he'll be a shoe-in for League Two team of the year, and rightly so.

Great Post Mark
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:25 pm

lifestags wrote:I think some players wont get the credit they deserve until they leave us, if this team takes us up (especially as champions) then they are right up there.

I think some people will always look more fondly in the past as it was their ''era'' :lol:

That's simply not true, why is this not my era too? Of course if you didn't see George play then you can't compare him I'm an old git so I can :lol:

Darren did see George, I'm shocked he'd pick Flint and Birdy ahead of him, great as those two have been for our club. We have a greatest 11 regularly on here, I start with Foster (c) then think about the rest :D

Anyway, Flintys made a massive difference to us, as big as any single player for a very long time.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Stafford » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:46 pm

Flint is the best centre half we've had since I started going regularly in 2000, edging ahead of Rhys Day, in my opinion.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:10 pm

Rob wrote:Flint has been brilliant but not a chance in hell would I pick him ahead of George! I'd pick George ahead if Birdy too. I think sometimes it's easy to forget was a magnificent centre back and captain George was.

It was a very hard decision to drop George Foster for Aden Flint. :lol: George is on the bench along with Colin Foster.

I would pick Kevin Bird above George Foster. Kevin Bird was a very good centre half and he also scored 55 league goals. He could also play right back and sometimes midfield.

Aden Flint is also in my Captain Scarlet Indestructible Hall Of Fame (Playing On With Injuries) along with Kevin Bird, Terry Eccles, Rod Arnold, George Foster, Phil Stant and Lee Beevers.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:27 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Rob wrote:Flint has been brilliant but not a chance in hell would I pick him ahead of George! I'd pick George ahead if Birdy too. I think sometimes it's easy to forget was a magnificent centre back and captain George was.

It was a very hard decision to drop George Foster for Aden Flint. :lol: George is on the bench along with Colin Foster.

I would pick Kevin Bird above George Foster. Kevin Bird was a very good centre half and he also scored 55 league goals. He could also play right back and sometimes midfield.

Aden Flint is also in my Captain Scarlet Indestructible Hall Of Fame (Playing On With Injuries) along with Kevin Bird, Terry Eccles, Rod Arnold, George Foster, Phil Stant and Lee Beevers.

Don’t forget Muzza. He had injections in his ankle before every game in the championship season.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:33 pm

Yes Chris. Adam Murray deserves to be included.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:51 pm

John Gill and Stewart Boam, from my period plus Brian Phillips.
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum