{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Boateng

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Boateng

Postby part time pete » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:59 pm

Is it just a coincidence and is there something in this?

In four of our six league defeats, Boateng has come on as a sub while we have been drawing but the Stags has lost the game.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Boateng

Postby Sneag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:05 pm

part time pete wrote:Is it just a coincidence and is there something in this?

In four of our six league defeats, Boateng has come on as a sub while we have been drawing but the Stags has lost the game.

I know you make Bengoat as an anagram of his name, but I don't think the letters will stretch to scapegoat. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:07 pm

Coincidence.

You could argue that overall we’re not getting the desired impact off the bench altogether despite having a strong squad. It’s certainly not just because Boateng has come on and it’s unfair to think so.

I believe we have only scored 2 equalisers/winners in the last 20 minutes of games all season. Stockport at home and Colchester away, so as a collective we are not doing enough to tip the game in our favour during the periods where subs generally come on.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 pm

Do people sit and think and scour over statistics to start threads like this to drag someone else through it.

It's only three weeks since he was MotM in that brilliant win over Harrogate and his first half performance last Saturday was excellent until his legs flagged in the second half.

Why not blame Pym for every lost point since he's played in all of them.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Roger_Sausage » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:28 pm

Definitely a coincidence. As above, we seem toothless as a collective when it comes to needing a goal towards the end of a game. We apply pressure, and even create the opportunities, but seem to either crumble in front of goal, or just have no luck.

The subs do seem to make some impact, like when Keillor-Dunn came on last night - he immediately had a few decent chances and we seemed to liven up a bit.

The end product rarely seems to materialise though still.

Boateng is a bit of an enigma, but it's unfair to single him out.
Roger_Sausage
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:32 pm

BH_Stag wrote:I believe we have only scored 2 equalisers/winners in the last 20 minutes of games all season. Stockport at home and Colchester away, so as a collective we are not doing enough to tip the game in our favour during the periods where subs generally come on.

You missed Walsall H, Barrow H, Tranmere H.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Kernow » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:34 pm

Far too slow to react.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:56 pm

Kernow wrote:Far too slow to react.

he seems to be half a yard off the pace agree
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:08 pm

I always think Boateng looks awkward on the ball and also very predictable in his distribution so I don’t get as excited as some about his contributions.

In spite of that I thought he had a good game on Tuesday and was much better than some others. He chased back well and was always wanting the ball and moving it quickly once he got it. He doesn’t deserve the criticism and certainly wasn’t responsible for the loss.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:23 pm

No team has gone behind fewer times than us all season. 14 alongside Stockport and Wrexham.

No team has a higher points per game total when going behind either.

In other words this toothless when chasing a goal thing is a bit of a myth.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:38 pm

That's really interesting Broomo, my perception wouldn't have been that at all, but does puts some of the accusations laid against the team to bed.

Now can you find me one that convinces me we are deadly from direct free kicks and corners please :D
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:47 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Coincidence.

You could argue that overall we’re not getting the desired impact off the bench altogether despite having a strong squad. It’s certainly not just because Boateng has come on and it’s unfair to think so.

I believe we have only scored 2 equalisers/winners in the last 20 minutes of games all season. Stockport at home and Colchester away, so as a collective we are not doing enough to tip the game in our favour during the periods where subs generally come on.

Stags have scored 12 goals and conceded 5 goals from the 76th minutes onwards.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:07 pm

Sharp wrote:That's really interesting Broomo, my perception wouldn't have been that at all, but does puts some of the accusations laid against the team to bed.

Now can you find me one that convinces me we are deadly from direct free kicks and corners please :D

And can take throw in ins
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Roger_Sausage » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:40 pm

broomo wrote:No team has gone behind fewer times than us all season. 14 alongside Stockport and Wrexham.

I respect what you're saying, but stats can be misleading can't they?

Look at Wimbledon (A), Crewe (H), Walsall (A), MK (H) and last night's game at Tranmere just to name a few. We've had the intent, and created the opportunities, but when we've been pressing for a result towards the end of the 90 minutes, and trying to get something out of the game, there's been no end product.

That's an observation and not a criticism by the way, I still think we're having a really good season overall.
Roger_Sausage
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby skegbymal » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:54 pm

Tuesday nights are the problem. For some reason our results on Tuesdays have been far worse than Saturdays.

Played 9 Won 3 Drawn 4 Lost 2

13 points out of 9 games. That makes it 56 points for the other 28 games, which works out at 18 points per 9 games
What do we do different on Tuesdays?
skegbymal
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Roger_Sausage » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:02 pm

skegbymal wrote:What do we do different on Tuesdays?

Maybe we're scared of the dark?! :lol:
Roger_Sausage
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:45 pm

skegbymal wrote:Tuesday nights are the problem. For some reason our results on Tuesdays have been far worse than Saturdays.

13 points out of 9 games. That makes it 56 points for the other 28 games, which works out at 18 points per 9 games

Tuesdays used to be grab a granny night in Valo's.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:39 pm

My biggest disappointment with Boateng last night was, considering the goals he's scored recently, he seemed afraid of pulling the trigger at the edge of the box. Not the only one, I don't want to know the number of sideways passes 25 yards out.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:39 pm

Rob wrote:
skegbymal wrote:Tuesday nights are the problem. For some reason our results on Tuesdays have been far worse than Saturdays.

Tuesdays used to be grab a granny night in Valo's.

thought it was Thursdays, no wonder i always ended up in Leeming st chippy on mi own
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:04 pm

broomo wrote:No team has gone behind fewer times than us all season. 14 alongside Stockport and Wrexham.

Slightly surprised at that. Think we have won from behind twice this season?

We could have done more to force the issue in plenty of home games this season late on. Bradford, Wimbledon, Sutton, Crewe, MK, Doncaster, Tranmere vs 10 men to win it, all slipped by without us really forcing the issue.

I’ve openly said that we’ve done brilliantly this season and we deserve to be where we are, I just think it’s an area where we could improve.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:29 pm

BH_Stag wrote:... Tranmere vs 10 men to win it, all slipped by without us really forcing the issue.

Turnbull was sent off on 90+3 with 3 minutes of stoppage time left.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby victor A block » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:55 am

Clarke and Maris well in front of him as far as I'm concerned. Harrogate game apart when everything he touched went in, he is too slow in a fast moving compact midfield.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:13 am

I’m surprised Slowtang gets into the squad to be honest, he far too slow and doesn’t really get involved that much. It was his poor closing down in midfield that lead to the second goal at Tranmere.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby stagone1959 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:16 am

victor A block wrote:Clarke and Maris well in front of him as far as I'm concerned. Harrogate game apart when everything he touched went in, he is too slow in a fast moving compact midfield.

Agree with this,he wouldn't be even in the squad for any away game ,and wouldn't even feature at home, unless we were 3 up.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:39 am

My view, Boateng is a luxury player, nice to bring on when in a comfortable position to give other vital players a rest.

He'd just not cut out for a rough and tough situation when we are protecting a slim lead or a point.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum