{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tranmere scorefred sponsored by let’s go again again

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tranmere scorefred sponsored by let’s go again again

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:54 pm

Spiritater wrote:Poor to bench your top goalscorer Nigel, please do not do it again. No other team does it. If he's fit he plays.

his selection tonight was typical Clough, interested to hear his post match interview about it!

in his interview on Iplayer he even said at this stage of the season you patch them up & get your best players out there! ……….we had not bite first half in that midfield, & what has happened to Lewis he is a shadow of the player who started this season
Last edited by yorkshire stag on Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagshead » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:54 pm

The important thing is promotion. Winning the league is a bonus that we all want. Onwards and upwards to league 1 next season. The roller-coaster keeps going.
stagshead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:57 pm

I know we lost but nothing really lost in terms of finishing in the top 3 as MK Dons lost and they’ve got Stockport and Crewe next 2 games. Could have been a lot lot worse.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:57 pm

Sneag wrote:On the plus side, the gap to 4th is still 5 points & that's another round of games gone.

And not that it mattees but County lost again. I'm going to nip over the Skunksnet in a bit to cheer myself up.

That’s exactly the point, exactly that.

Keep it as it is and we’re sorted.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:59 pm

Rainy days and Tuesdays alway gets me down

New fredder please, needs putting on Wednesday
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:59 pm

adamstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:On the plus side, the gap to 4th is still 5 points & that's another round of games gone.

And not that it mattees but County lost again. I'm going to nip over the Skunksnet in a bit to cheer myself up.

That’s exactly the point, exactly that.

Keep it as it is and we’re sorted.

NCM in total meltdown. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:00 pm

MK Dons v Crewe Saturday as well.
One or both has to drop points
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Ad » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:01 pm

It's the Mansfield Town way. Need to win on Saturday. COYS!
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Johnny H » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:04 pm

Poor performance tonight
Dont like us straying away from the tried, tested and better suited 442 Diamond either.
Too defensive tonight, had a back 6 for 55-60 mins and Akins was wasted out wide left during that time too
Lewis is out worst midfielder and for me has not been good for a month or more now.
Thankfully, results for other teams were good for us.
Big Game Saturday ...Need A Win !!
COYS
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:06 pm

Got what we deserved from that one…..zilch.

Apter is annoyingly good but he’d given us fair warning of what he was going to do and we didn’t take heed. We pick up some daft bookings, I’d much rather someone got a yellow for lumping their best player six foot up in the air.

Our passing wasn’t good enough, too many simple short balls played either too slowly or half a yard behind where they needed to be or simply misdirected. We looked most threatening when it was more direct in the channels for Swan or DKD when he came on to chase. It was a pretty tame surrendering of the three points at a pedestrian pace. Had Boateng been out for a sneaky half marathon before the game, he looked shattered from the moment he came on.

Fair play to Tranmere, they’ve taken four points off us this season and they were well deserved.

Dust ourselves down and on to Bradford, past Mansfield sides would start to creak under the pressure at this point, if this side is everything I believe they are we will go there and win. Come on Mansfield, don’t pull a ‘Mansfield’.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:19 pm

the positives were Reed and Brunt both had good games a few others were average but Lewis, Nichols and Akins were not at it, neither was Maris to be fair …and Bailey Cargill who has generally been great, found Rob Apter too much for him, we’ve been lucky that the others around us apart from Crewe haven’t taken full advantage
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:22 pm

I’d personally like to see us stop rotating as much now and start to find more of a settled side for the run in.

It feels like we’ve been picking the team based on who didn’t play the game the week before rather than on performances to an extent. We need players to now find some rhythm and hit form now so we can have a consistent end to the season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:26 pm

BH_Stag wrote:I’d personally like to see us stop rotating as much now and start to find more of a settled side for the run in.

It feels like we’ve been picking the team based on who didn’t play the game the week before rather than on performances to an extent. We need players to now find some rhythm and hit form now so we can have a consistent end to the season.

Hallelujah and amen to that brother
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby TheMyTStags » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:30 pm

Widely accepted that the formation and team selection was wrong. If I'm guessing what Cloughs logic was, a lot of their ability to apply pressure came from their aggressive wingers going full throttle at our WBs and their own WBs going high to offer support. If we win the ball back and go long to wide players (which were Lewis and Akins), we should have been able to exploit the space in behind. Unfortunately, the passing was poor all night (apart from maybe Reed) and their wingers terrorised us so much that those two ended up dropping back too. Added on to the fact that they seemed to be working harder than us (common theme at the end of the season, as everybody is fighting for something, even if just contracts). Was very surprised to see that, despite losing 4 of our last 10 (twice as many as in the previous 27), we've actually been the best side in the league over those games (Newport and Walsall have picked up the same points).
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby malcthestag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:40 pm

Manager of the month syndrome strikes again
malcthestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Can we please not see Nichols as a number ten again, or Lucas as a left winger.

Clough has just singled Nichols out saying he thought he was very good in that role.

Really surprised at that as I thought he really struggled and made no impact on the game at all and seems a lot of people thought the same.

DKD & Maris are both better players than Nichols in that role behind the strikers
Last edited by BH_Stag on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Can we please not see Nichols as a number ten again, or Lucas as a left winger.

Clough has just singled Nichols out saying he thought he was very good in that role.

Really surprised at that as I thought he really struggled and made no impact on the game at all and seems a lot of people thought the same.

DKD & Maris are both better players than Nichols in the role.

Yeah just heard the interview, he said a few things I disagreed with.

I’m hoping it’s just him trying to prevent panic at one result and keep everyone’s spirits up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

I’m hoping it’s just him trying to prevent panic at one result and keep everyone’s spirits up.

He did have a little dig at Swan though!
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:06 pm

lancer wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

He did have a little dig at Swan though!

If he keeps scoring a goal every 60 minutes on average like he has done for the last 6 games that will do me
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:07 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

DKD & Maris are both better players than Nichols in that role behind the strikers

He was slow to react, slow to contribute and had a mare, how he remained on the pitch in that position for 82 minutes is anyone’s guess. That’s his tone game and one position though.

I suspect clough wont make such an elementary mistake again.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:09 pm

A very frustrating performance. It's probably the first game where majority of the players went missing.. I struggle to see why he rotates the side so much. I understand the likes of Quinn not starting every game but DKD should start every game.. He's our equivalent of mullins for Wrexham and he don't get left out very often.
Although some decent results went for us tonight, I see it a different way. Win tonight and there would of been daylight between us and the chasing pack you can then afford to drop the odd point the next few games but now more pressure is on us but that will be the same for every team up there. . Saturday is a must win
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

We didn't play well tonight (we've set a high bar) but he's right that we did create enough clear cut chances to have got something out of the game.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:18 pm

Too many under par performances. Aside from Reed and Brunt none of the starters were up to usual standards. We still did enough to have got a point though.

George Maris had a poor game, didn't think Nichols was brilliant and actually disagree with Nigel in that Swan looked our brightest attacking threat.

The subs didn't do enough either although Hiram looked quite bright.

Tranmere played some nice stuff in patches. We struggled again with the ball into the feet of the centre forward and him "popping it off" for runners.

We'll bounce back though, we always do.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:24 am

Surprised no one has mentioned how poor (by his own standards) Flint has been over the last few games. Quicker players are playing around him and he has been largely innefective. Non moreso than when he is lumped up front and gets in everyone’s way.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:34 am

well make it
Last edited by adamstag on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum