{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Franchise scorefred sponsored by 2 down 6 to go

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Franchise scorefred sponsored by 2 down 6 to go

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:17 pm

St Hilary Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
robda1st wrote:can we stop playing bowery in defence please, we never look as comfortable with him playing there and were much better when williams or johnson were there

He was poor tonight, but the stats clearly don't back up that view over the course of the season.
I thought Bowery was our best player tonight. Opinions hey :)

Should have played Williams at the back from the start... selection hiccup.!

I thought so too. However, I would have brought William's on and put Bowery up front. Like others have had said, pushing Flint up top doesn't seem to work and seems desperation tactics. We were beaten by a better side on the night. We are still in a great position so no need to panic.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:46 pm

Should it be a concern that our players need so much rest between games or is it tactical genius?

Williams for instance, plays 2-3 games then need a rest after playing so well, similarly with Clarke, Maris, Boateng, Nicholls, Swan yet the oldies I'm thinking Quinn & Akins play every game.

Did Clough no exactly what MKD was about and based his team selection accordingly therefore saving some players for Saturday or should we be questioning our training methods and fitness.

No doubt beaten by the best side to visit FM this season, hopefully we now understand what we need to do in the return fixture.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:51 pm

pemill wrote:Should it be a concern that our players need so much rest between games or is it tactical genius?

Williams for instance, plays 2-3 games then need a rest after playing so well, similarly with Clarke, Maris, Boateng, Nicholls, Swan yet the oldies I'm thinking Quinn & Akins play every game.

Did Clough no exactly what MKD was about and based his team selection accordingly therefore saving some players for Saturday or should we be questioning our training methods and fitness.

No doubt beaten by the best side to visit FM this season, hopefully we now understand what we need to do in the return fixture.

They both didn't start on Saturday, or at Forest Green.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:01 pm

Flint didn’t go up top until basically stoppage time did he?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:10 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Flint didn’t go up top until basically stoppage time did he?

87 minutes
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
pemill wrote:Should it be a concern that our players need so much rest between games or is it tactical genius?

They both didn't start on Saturday, or at Forest Green.

No it shouldn't be a concern. Look how leggy Newport were on Saturday after their midweek game at Harrogate. Gave us an advantage.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bear 73 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:20 pm

I sat by a friend from Coventry and MKD were a yard quicker went forward with skill and pace and defended with a pack mentality so to say Mansfield deserved a draw is a big statement.
They also shown more Skill with the football and brought it under control with a lot more affect.
But Mansfield with hard work and team spirit stayed in the game and could have got a second goal with the amount of chances created.
So a loss in a game we wanted at least a point and hard to take when games are running out and points are precious.
Still top of the league and will be come Sat, even if on goal average
A lot of hard games to come but with promotion so close as a fan its great to be in the mix again.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm

We’ve been fantastic this season, and deserve to be where we are in the table, but if there was one area where I think this team could improve, it’s probably our ability to bang the door down late on when we need a goal to win or equalise, particularly at home.

There have been quite a lot of games at Field Mill (Bradford, Wimbledon, Tranmere, Doncaster, Sutton, Crewe, MK) where we have struggled to get in to our stride in the last half an hour and really put teams on the back foot for a sustained period until we score. Those games have felt like they drifted a bit and we’ve come away thinking we didn’t really do enough there. Sometimes you might hammer a team for the last 20 minutes and not score and that’s just the way it goes, but that wasn’t the case in those games.

There’s an irony to this because we have the joint most wins in the league, so it’s not like we’re not finding ways to win, but just think if we can improve on that aspect as things start to get a bit nervy down the stretch it would really help matters.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:09 pm

BH_Stag wrote:We’ve been fantastic this season, and deserve to be where we are in the table, but if there was one area where I think this team could improve, it’s probably our ability to bang the door down late on when we need a goal to win or equalise, particularly at home.

There have been quite a lot of games at Field Mill (Bradford, Wimbledon, Tranmere, Doncaster, Sutton, Crewe, MK) where we have struggled to get in to our stride in the last half an hour and really put teams on the back foot for a sustained period until we score. Those games have felt like they drifted a bit and we’ve come away thinking we didn’t really do enough there. Sometimes you might hammer a team for the last 20 minutes and not score and that’s just the way it goes, but that wasn’t the case in those games.

There’s an irony to this because we have the joint most wins in the league, so it’s not like we’re not finding ways to win, but just think if we can improve on that aspect as things start to get a bit nervy down the stretch it would really help matters.

Agreed with this.

MK - 60-81
Sutton - 55-70
Crewe - 46-71
Doncaster - 73-92

Between those minutes, we didn't have a shot and were either level or behind.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:We’ve been fantastic this season, and deserve to be where we are in the table, but if there was one area where I think this team could improve, it’s probably our ability to bang the door down late on when we need a goal to win or equalise, particularly at home.

Agreed with this.

MK - 60-81
Sutton - 55-70
Crewe - 46-71
Doncaster - 73-92

It's a very valid point, I'd also question how many points we've earned in the last 15 mins of games. There's only Colchester I can remember, and that was more from a fortunate bounce of the ball. Willing to be corrected if there are other instances. Obviously it's not a position we're in often, but it does back up the suggestion that we don't really have a way of throwing the kitchen sink at teams. The fact we've not really had a period of having Oates and Swan fit and on form at the same time probably doesn't help.
A few have mentioned that the subs last night weren't great, and it did seem like Clough was just making like for like changes, hoping fresh legs would do the trick (which they didn't as MK looked like they could run for days). Only Macca really had any impact on terms of making us more aggressive/ attacking, but we removed the likely targets for his crosses in Swan and Akins.
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:42 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Agreed with this.

MK - 60-81
Sutton - 55-70
Crewe - 46-71
Doncaster - 73-92

It's a very valid point, I'd also question how many points we've earned in the last 15 mins of games. There's only Colchester I can remember, and that was more from a fortunate bounce of the ball. Willing to be corrected if there are other instances. Obviously it's not a position we're in often, but it does back up the suggestion that we don't really have a way of throwing the kitchen sink at teams. The fact we've not really had a period of having Oates and Swan fit and on form at the same time probably doesn't help.
A few have mentioned that the subs last night weren't great, and it did seem like Clough was just making like for like changes, hoping fresh legs would do the trick (which they didn't as MK looked like they could run for days). Only Macca really had any impact on terms of making us more aggressive/ attacking, but we removed the likely targets for his crosses in Swan and Akins.

We've gained 4pts in the last 15 mins of games, but also lost 4pts.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:43 pm

Any videos from last night
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Agreed with this.

MK - 60-81
Sutton - 55-70
Crewe - 46-71
Doncaster - 73-92

We've gained 4pts in the last 15 mins of games, but also lost 4pts.

Only losing 4 points is pretty impressive (2 of them have been lost when Flints not been in defence). As has been said recently in an interview I think by Cargill, we like controlling/minimising any chaos in games (commented on us not liking how open it was first half V Salford). Relying on last minute winners is rarely sustainable, but it wouldn't hurt to try to be better at doing it
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stagstown » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm

Obviously MK were particularly good in Midfield,for me we needed a Clarke or a Maris to start in there ideally both they offer the aggression and desire to get there tackles in and break up play and both are capable of a goal.For me.Lewis would be a last 20 minute man for me I just think he’s to light weight and gets knocked off the ball to easily.Regarding the Right back situation Bowery has had a good season,there was a warning a few minutes b4 the goal when there lad got by him and put a good cross in from the left a very similar scenario to the Walsall match again a warning b4 there goal.Im assuming George Williams wasn’t fit enough to start and surprisingly didn’t come on either.Hopefully with a few tweaks we can bounce back Saturday of course we can’t win every game and it’s probably the only time in the league we’ve been out footballed this season.we probably need 6 or 7 wins to get over the line, were more than capable up the stags.
Stagstown
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Conker » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:51 am

The most frustrating thing for me is we had the players to counter what MK offer in the middle of the pitch but we didn’t play them.

Time to regroup and bounce back Saturday.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:40 am

Conker wrote:The most frustrating thing for me is we had the players to counter what MK offer in the middle of the pitch but we didn’t play them.

Agree with this , I said to my friend early on when they were already playing great football that we needed George Maris and especially Ollie Clarke to get amongst them, get stuck in, let them know we weren't just going to watch and applaud so to speak.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:44 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Conker wrote:The most frustrating thing for me is we had the players to counter what MK offer in the middle of the pitch but we didn’t play them.

Agree with this , I said to my friend early on when they were already playing great football that we needed George Maris and especially Ollie Clarke to get amongst them, get stuck in, let them know we weren't just going to watch and applaud so to speak.
We used 16 players including the two you mentioned and it didn't alter things. Sometimes you have to accept we can be second best on the day.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagstown » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:20 pm

Nigel spoke about Kemp and Gilbey pre match saying what good players they are.so to Line up with Lewis instead of Maris or Clarke played into there hands and momentum in football is very important and the Mk Midfield were totally dominating and in the groove by the time Maris and Clarke came on.As soon as I saw the our line up with no Maris or Clarke to combat them from the off I feared the worst.For me you start with your strongest line up especially against fellow promotion contenders.
Stagstown
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:38 pm

Stagstown wrote:Nigel spoke about Kemp and Gilbey pre match saying what good players they are.so to Line up with Lewis instead of Maris or Clarke played into there hands and momentum in football is very important and the Mk Midfield were totally dominating and in the groove by the time Maris and Clarke came on.As soon as I saw the our line up with no Maris or Clarke to combat them from the off I feared the worst.For me you start with your strongest line up especially against fellow promotion contenders.

The same midfield beat Salford 5-1 10 days previously.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:39 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Stagstown wrote:Nigel spoke about Kemp and Gilbey pre match saying what good players they are.so to Line up with Lewis instead of Maris or Clarke played into there hands and momentum in football is very important and the Mk Midfield were totally dominating and in the groove by the time Maris and Clarke came on.As soon as I saw the our line up with no Maris or Clarke to combat them from the off I feared the worst.For me you start with your strongest line up especially against fellow promotion contenders.

The same midfield beat Salford 5-1 10 days previously.

And Maris and Clarke came on and chased the same shadows ....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagstown » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:20 pm

Regarding the Salford Game yes we ran out comfortable winners in the end but first half we rode our luck.I still thought exactly the same thing Lewis in ahead of Maris and Clarke,if your trying to tell me Lewis is a better or stronger player than those 2 we’re watching a totally different game.For me Lewis is the weakest link admittedly he scored a worldly earlier in the season but the norm is when he gets a chance in front of goal he either skys it or doesn’t hit the ball with any power.I believe Maris has got 9 Goals so far v Lewis 1 goal.The bottom Line is Lewis wouldn’t be in my starting 11 because we have stronger and better players Maris and Clarke for starters.
Stagstown
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

We used 16 players including the two you mentioned and it didn't alter things. Sometimes you have to accept we can be second best on the day.

I have already said on a previous post that we were second best as almost everyone else has said. My point is here that all our midfielders were basically standing off and being defensive whereas I'm suggesting that we needed to get in amongst them physically sooner and let them know we were up for it...like we did against Notts County at home. Its nothing to do with how many players we used. However I do accept that, when used, OC and GM didn't make much difference.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:44 pm

Stagstown wrote:Regarding the Salford Game yes we ran out comfortable winners in the end but first half we rode our luck.I still thought exactly the same thing Lewis in ahead of Maris and Clarke,if your trying to tell me Lewis is a better or stronger player than those 2 we’re watching a totally different game.For me Lewis is the weakest link admittedly he scored a worldly earlier in the season but the norm is when he gets a chance in front of goal he either skys it or doesn’t hit the ball with any power.I believe Maris has got 9 Goals so far v Lewis 1 goal.The bottom Line is Lewis wouldn’t be in my starting 11 because we have stronger and better players Maris and Clarke for starters.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Yes the two players who didn't play are both bigger goal threats, no doubt about that, and overall I agree Maris is a better player than Lewis, and it's no surprise he has scored more goals whenhe has played as a 10 for much of the season. Clarke and Lewis are quite similar in terms of overall ability level for me. Clarke is more destructive, but Lewis is a more technical player than Clarke. There is a reason Clarke almost never starts in home games, when we expect to have more of the ball.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:52 pm

I've read some balderdash on Stagsnet in the past but even thinking Lewis is a technical player and as good as Clarke is enough to get someone sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Lewis is a headless chicken chaser, rarely achieving anything other than being a nuisance to the opposition.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum