{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salford scorefred sponsored by lets do this

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Salford scorefred sponsored by lets do this

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:37 pm

A very dignified, eloquent and reasoned response to the purveyor of word soup.
Personally I have him on mute as my life is too short to read that nonsense.

I advise others to do it for my posts :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:33 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
SelstonStag88 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Gets the ball on the left and rinds at Williams. Cuts inside and takes a touch Williams and Reed(?) slides in but can't prenet a good finish fr finding the net.

Two can play that game.... poor from Williams

It was.

If it was bowery and I pointed that out it'd be "why you picking on Bowery there, there's other players who contributed"

So.... Why are you picking on Williams? ;)

Bowery wouldn’t have been beaten as easily though ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:11 pm

Not one mention of Flint being so far out of position after trying to win a slide tackle in their box!!?

To be clear, I forgive him and would forgive him a dozen more mistakes he"s been THAT good.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:58 pm

They don’t need our forgiveness, it’s worthless.

Best CB in the division tho.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:08 am

I thought as soon as they broke forward when they equalised, that we would be in trouble at Flinty was stranded up field playing right wing.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:49 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:
Rob wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Well done the Stags a valuable 3 points against a very good side, its very strange after a wonderful season and all to play for.
Clough still cannot pick the correct starting 11.
After 1163 games in professional football some fans know he picks a team leaving better players on the bench because he fails to see his best 11.
Having a opinion against a fellow fan is normal, but thinking you know better than our Nigel, , dream on and the next vacancy you give your CV profile.
Anyway i will look at the league table every day until Sat and enjoy

Strewth :lol: I don't think internet football fan opinion forums are for everyone.

I’m not even sure who that particular post is aimed at Bear. Certainly don’t think there’s any need to keep reminding us that some supporters have questioned line ups in the past and are therefore ultimately wrong when we spank someone. You’ve developed the knack of putting a negative spin on a great season with little digs at supporters at every opportunity, coupled with the fact we are little Mansfield and should be grateful for any modest success that comes our way.

This season is on the verge of becoming incredibly special, if you can’t appreciate the desire for supporters to see it over the line then you don’t understand the history that has come before, both recent and are more distant. I’m 42 years old and been a Stags supporter since the age of eight and I was all in after my first game. In the time I’ve witnessed three promotions and four relegations. The last of those promotions being back to the football league over a decade ago. There’s now a whole generation of new supporters yet to witness a promotion. Supporters will always get carried away and over-react, it’s an indescribable passion that never leaves you. I say this with no disrespect but it’s a passion that if you follow a manager’s career as opposed to a club that you can’t understand and there’s nothing wrong that.

I am a massive Clough supporter, he’s the best manager we’ve had in my time and I’d gladly stick another contract extension in front of him now. I’m convinced we are going to win the title this season, not because I’m an optimist (you’d be mad to be one of them if you support the Stags for as long as me) but based on the football we see week in week out. We are the best team in the league and I’m enjoying every second, others will panic and sweat until it’s done and dusted and that’s totally understandable and part of supporting a lower league club.

Bring on the run in, bring on League One, this journey with Clough could end somewhere very special and I hope it’s many years from now but one thing is for sure and that is it will end and when it does the supporters will still be here and the new gaffer will be scrutinised just as much.

Once a Stag, always a Stag.
:good_post:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:33 am

broomo wrote:Not one mention of Flint being so far out of position after trying to win a slide tackle in their box!!?

To be clear, I forgive him and would forgive him a dozen more mistakes he"s been THAT good.

As I'm sure you've gathered, in some fans eyes, we have certain players who can do no wrong and others (notably Akins and Bowery) who can do no right. I'm sure you know who these people are so it's best to take their judgement with a piece of salt. Flint was out of position and Williams was beaten too easily by a bloke on one leg ;) However, both had good games overall, as did the whole side and bench. None were as good as Quinn, can we squeeze another season from him?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:11 am

To be fair to Flint it's hard to run back 70 yards with Matt Smith in your pocket.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:18 am

Captain Cunno wrote:To be fair to Flint it's hard to run back 70 yards with Matt Smith in your pocket.

This. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:19 am

It's harsh to say Flint was out of position, he was sent forward for a free kick and their attack built from there.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:20 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It's harsh to say Flint was out of position, he was sent forward for a free kick and their attack built from there.

Well he was out of position, that's factual :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:43 am

Yeah Flint made a mistake (and it did frustrate me at the time), but it wasn't that mistake that cost us the goal. Both Williams and Reed were tracking Luamba and when he got to a shooting position, there were 4 of them trying either jockey or block.

I don't think it would have necessarily have made much of a difference had Flint been in position, as dealing nippy, skillful players isn't his strength.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:48 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It's harsh to say Flint was out of position, he was sent forward for a free kick and their attack built from there.

Stay on his feet and straight line it back down the middle of the pitch and he might have got back.

Of course it's harsh to blame him but Stagsnet is a harsh place at times.

Yes we might have 12 points from 15 and have scored 20 goals but if Clough had have signed another striker (or 2) and dropped Bowery we wouldn't have lost to Walsall.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:49 am

Rob wrote:

Well he was out of position, that's factual :lol:

Well yes, but by design.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:55 am

broomo wrote:

Stay on his feet and straight line it back down the middle of the pitch and he might have got back.

Yes we might have 12 points from 15 and have scored 20 goals but if Clough had have signed another striker (or 2) and dropped Bowery we wouldn't have lost to Walsall.

Flint was magnificent on Saturday and dealt with Matt Smith like he was 5 foot nothing and led to the latter being substituted as ineffectual. I'd forgive him anything and considering his presence in the opponents area maybe the others need to over compensate for his attacking forays. He was head and shoulders my man of the match.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bluenyellow » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:10 am

Flint must have very large pckets with all the strikers he has in there
Doc said i needed a pacemaker,so ive now got a flippin kenyan 2 yds in front of me everywhere i go.
bluenyellow
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:39 am

So i feel as though i am being disloyal but i think Flint has been affected by his injury against Wimbledon and has had two really tough games in the last week. His distribution on Saturday was comparatively not good at times with trying to force the pace pinging balls through the middle that were easily intercepted and I thought he lost more headers this weekend than i have seen him lose all season. He is an absolute colossus but to my mind Smith and Matte have been the most challenging players for him all season.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:58 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:So i feel as though i am being disloyal but i think Flint has been affected by his injury against Wimbledon and has had two really tough games in the last week. His distribution on Saturday was comparatively not good at times with trying to force the pace pinging balls through the middle that were easily intercepted and I thought he lost more headers this weekend than i have seen him lose all season. He is an absolute colossus but to my mind Smith and Matte have been the most challenging players for him all season.

He still won more headers than he lost, at a better percentage than Smith. His passing has been hit and miss all season I think, but you can forgive that when he's as good as he is at the back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:00 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:So i feel as though i am being disloyal but i think Flint has been affected by his injury against Wimbledon and has had two really tough games in the last week. His distribution on Saturday was comparatively not good at times with trying to force the pace pinging balls through the middle that were easily intercepted and I thought he lost more headers this weekend than i have seen him lose all season. He is an absolute colossus but to my mind Smith and Matte have been the most challenging players for him all season.

But isn’t that what you would expect from two large, experienced and talented players? They were bound to be two of his hardest challenges but I thought he coped reasonably well with Matte and very well with Smith. I don’t think we could reasonably have expected much more than we got.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:05 pm

I think that's pretty fair. No doubt about it he has been our player of the season by an absolute mile so far but the last two games have been a real test for him. I thought defensively he was much better on Saturday and had Smith in his pocket, but Matt certainly gave him a really tough test. He's been a fantastic signing and had he been here last season we'd have finished top 3. There's not another CB in this league to touch him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:10 pm

broomo wrote:

You were the one who pointed it out (Flint) and then complained people are being harsh?

Considering Clough said he made a mistake not playing Williams against Walsall, and he replaced Bowery with Williams against Salford, MIGHT be an indication of who was to be dropped vs Walsall. Would it have resulted in a win? Possibly, who knows. He's made 4 league starts this season we've won all 4 conceding 3 and scoring 13. Not a bad record and

If you account for all 15 league appearances we've not lost a game. 13 wins and 2 draws. However, in quite a few of those games he was a late sub so that's a bit of stat manipulation but as others have said its a fact.

I didn't agree with needing more strikers in Jan (only replace the injured Oates) I was an advocate of playing Will Swan for more than 5 minutes at a time.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:

You were the one who pointed it out (Flint) and then complained people are being harsh?

Considering Clough said he made a mistake not playing Williams against Walsall, and he replaced Bowery with Williams against Salford, MIGHT be an indication of who was to be dropped vs Walsall. Would it have resulted in a win? Possibly, who knows. He's made 4 league starts this season we've won all 4 conceding 3 and scoring 13. Not a bad record and

If you account for all 15 league appearances we've not lost a game. 13 wins and 2 draws. However, in quite a few of those games he was a late sub so that's a bit of stat manipulation but as others have said its a fact.

I didn't agree with needing more strikers in Jan (only replace the injured Oates) I was an advocate of playing Will Swan for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I pointed out his "mistake" Musings said it was harsh and I agreed. Not one bit of complaining.

Not everything is about you Gazza.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:37 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68401320

Class of 92-owned League Two side Salford City is looking to attract outside investment to help fund its ambition to become a Championship club.

Less than a week after Manchester United's search for "strategic alternatives" ended with Sir Jim Ratcliffe taking a 27.7% stake, nearby club Salford - part-owned by legendary United players David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville - says it has already received "some interest" in taking an equity investment.

In a decade since the Class of 92 stars got involved, along with businessman Peter Lim, Salford have risen from the Northern Premier League First Division to the English Football League, with average attendances rising from just 140 to about 2,500.

The Moor Lane ground has been completely redeveloped, although plans to move into the 12,000-capacity AJ Bell Stadium collapsed in December 2022 when Salford City Council pulled out of the deal.

Singaporean Lim - owner of Spanish side Valencia - owns 40% of the club, with the remaining 60% being held by the former Manchester United players.

Salford are 19th in League Two and lost 5-1 to league leaders Mansfield on Saturday, a further setback in a difficult season that at one point had them battling to avoid dropping into the relegation places.

Karl Robinson was appointed new head coach on 5 January following the dismissal of Neil Wood the previous month.

Salford's ownership say they remain "fully committed to the club but are open to the possibility of the right new partner investing alongside the group", for what are described as ambitious growth targets.

It is understood the initial plan to eventually reach the Championship remains in place.

Butt, who is now Salford's chief executive, said: "We are backing Salford City with as much commitment and confidence as ever.

"We have achieved very special things here but there are major opportunities in front of us and we want to make sure we have the right mix of investment and strategic partners to take advantage of those opportunities.

"We had an original 10-year plan and with strong foundations now in place, it was always the intention to explore options for the next phase. That includes potentially bringing in new partners to help us grow the club and best serve the fans and community."
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:40 pm

I knew they'd get bored of chucking their money at League 2 eventually :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:55 pm

Dan wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68401320

Class of 92-owned League Two side Salford City is looking to attract outside investment to help fund its ambition to become a Championship club.

Less than a week after Manchester United's search for "strategic alternatives" ended with Sir Jim Ratcliffe taking a 27.7% stake, nearby club Salford - part-owned by legendary United players David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville - says it has already received "some interest" in taking an equity investment.

In a decade since the Class of 92 stars got involved, along with businessman Peter Lim, Salford have risen from the Northern Premier League First Division to the English Football League, with average attendances rising from just 140 to about 2,500.

The Moor Lane ground has been completely redeveloped, although plans to move into the 12,000-capacity AJ Bell Stadium collapsed in December 2022 when Salford City Council pulled out of the deal.

Singaporean Lim - owner of Spanish side Valencia - owns 40% of the club, with the remaining 60% being held by the former Manchester United players.

Salford are 19th in League Two and lost 5-1 to league leaders Mansfield on Saturday, a further setback in a difficult season that at one point had them battling to avoid dropping into the relegation places.

Karl Robinson was appointed new head coach on 5 January following the dismissal of Neil Wood the previous month.

Salford's ownership say they remain "fully committed to the club but are open to the possibility of the right new partner investing alongside the group", for what are described as ambitious growth targets.

It is understood the initial plan to eventually reach the Championship remains in place.

Butt, who is now Salford's chief executive, said: "We are backing Salford City with as much commitment and confidence as ever.

"We have achieved very special things here but there are major opportunities in front of us and we want to make sure we have the right mix of investment and strategic partners to take advantage of those opportunities.

"We had an original 10-year plan and with strong foundations now in place, it was always the intention to explore options for the next phase. That includes potentially bringing in new partners to help us grow the club and best serve the fans and community."

It's an invitation to burn a vast sum of money.

Salford will never ever ever, like not ever be a sustainable league club. They will only ever be a rich man's toy. They were at their true level in the NPL.

If Salford's backers wanted a sustainable investment, they should have bought Stockport.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum