{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rochdale (not Stags related)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Rochdale (not Stags related)

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:34 pm

As I've put in the title it's not directly Stags related but I thought it was worth putting on here to show how easy it is for a club to get in trouble. This could've been us had JR not saved us.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68353473

Rochdale need new investment by the end of March otherwise the National League club could face the prospect of liquidation, chairman Simon Gauge has warned.

Dale were relegated from the EFL last season after 102 years but have faced major financial problems.

Gauge has put in £566,000 in the past few months to keep Dale going, but has reached his credit limit.

They now need an investor to put in £2 million to gain 90% of the club.

Rochdale are 12th in the National League and 10 points off the play-off places after four successive defeats.

Dale became a fan-owned club in August 2022, but have had to undertake serious cost-cutting measures this season after dropping out of the EFL.

An Extraordinary General Meeting has now been called for Thursday, 7 March to try to agree to proposals, including the creation of nine million new shares, that would change the conditions for investment in the club.

'Rochdale's existence at stake'
In a statement, Gauge, who has been involved with Rochdale since June 2021, described the club as "asset-rich and cash-poor" and that he and his family can put no further money into the club to keep it going.

He said that he had been trying to secure extra investment over the past 14 months but without success.

However, the chairman has made it clear that the 117-year history of the club is at stake in the coming weeks.

"This resolution needs to be passed at the EGM for us to have any chance of securing the required investment that will ensure the long-term future of our club," he said.

"If it isn't passed, the threat of liquidation at the end of March is very real. The passing of this resolution does not guarantee saving the club, but it will certainly give it a fighting chance.

"To be clear, the existence of Rochdale AFC is at stake. The opportunity to give a long-term future is now in the shareholders' hands."
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: Rochdale (not Stags related)

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:36 pm

Not Stags related
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:16 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Not Stags related

Like most of your posts then :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:23 pm

If you know it's not Stags related why would you not post it on the right forum?!
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:32 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:If you know it's not Stags related why would you not post it on the right forum?!

I put it on here clearly stating in the title that it wasn't Stags related yet still people get a hard on about it. I put it in here because no one goes onto the other forum and it would be interesting to people to see it plus they've also got Tyrese Sinclair there so it would be of interest to some. Unlike park runs and such that you mention if you want to go down that route.

Johnny Rotten wrote:I pop out for a late evening 8-9km run to end it finding out Stags are five up at HT?!

Maybe I should do it more often?

Johnny Rotten wrote:
The One wrote:Plenty of rain down there, is inspection planned

Echo this. Stroud parkrun cancelled owing to flooding
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:57 pm

Dale have been friendly rivals of ours for decades and it has always been one of the better away trips, Dan is absolutely right to highlight their plight here rather than it get lost on a little used forum.

I'm sad that Dale are in this predicament, more so than I was with Bury or Macclesfield - I think of all lower league clubs I think Dale are one of the few I can actually stand. There probably is more to the story than in the article Dan posted, but I genuinely wish them well, proper club, proper town.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:52 am

Rob wrote: proper town.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:02 am

Dan wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote:If you know it's not Stags related why would you not post it on the right forum?!

I put it on here clearly stating in the title that it wasn't Stags related yet still people get a hard on about it. I put it in here because no one goes onto the other forum and it would be interesting to people to see it plus they've also got Tyrese Sinclair there so it would be of interest to some. Unlike park runs and such that you mention if you want to go down that route.

Johnny Rotten wrote:I pop out for a late evening 8-9km run to end it finding out Stags are five up at HT?!

Johnny Rotten wrote:

I thought it was a good read Dan. Thank You for highlighting the Fact.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:35 am

Can I be the first to say - decent chippy.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:03 am

Chips are good. But the meat and potato pies are the best I’ve had the pleasure of eating.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:52 am

I wonder how many clubs, particularly ex league clubs are close to the brink. I think Rochdale were in all kinds of financial trouble before they were even relegated, wasn’t part of the problem to do with Crown Oil pulling out of sponsorship? Just this season there has been turmoil At Rochdale, Scunthorpe and Southend that I’ve read about.

We are incredibly fortunate to have the Radford’s. Really hope Rochdale find the long term investment they need, great memories of the final game of 91/92 season.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:08 pm

I watched them at One Call near the end of the 2006-07. I would rather have them in the EFL than MK Dons. Enough said.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:37 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:I watched them at One Call near the end of the 2006-07. I would rather have them in the EFL than MK Dons. Enough said.

Good thinking, let's banish them with immediate effect!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:47 pm

Always remember Holland and Stant scoring in a 0-2 win at Dale, in the promotion year…I think 1992. Awesome times!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:50 pm

When I think of Rochdale, I think of France...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exw9IqT1Iw&t=20s
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:01 pm

Beyond The Pale wrote:When I think of Rochdale, I think of France...

Mon dieu, quel but.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:06 pm

Beyond The Pale wrote:When I think of Rochdale, I think of France...

I think of Mike Harding and the Wild West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7R15TszynU
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:26 pm

MOTG wrote:
Dan wrote:

Johnny Rotten wrote:

I thought it was a good read Dan. Thank You for highlighting the Fact.

You’re welcome I knew proper football fans would be interested in it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:37 pm

Rochdale - and the departure of one Carlton Palmer, lousy performance on the pitch but a great performance by the supporters. Thanks for posting this Dan, that pub next to the ground, The Church, was magnificent, really hope they not only survive but flourish.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby ST4GS » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:26 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Always remember Holland and Stant scoring in a 0-2 win at Dale, in the promotion year…I think 1992. Awesome times!
Very early in that season. Think both clubs were near the top and Rochdale unbeaten. They had most of the play and more chances but we were clinical. Good away following. My first visit to Rochdale.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:16 am

They've always skirted with financial survival I believe.

The statue of their dedicated fan in the stand was because of how much money he raised for the club over the years to keep it going was it not?

Hope they find some investment.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sue » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:23 am

Totally agree with the expressions of respect for Rochdale. The article also reinforces just how fortunate we are that John Radford rescued the Stags from the obscurity they were facing. Not that we need reminding, since everyone is really appreciative of his amazing contribution to our beloved club, but reminders such as this can't do any harm and deserve their place on this forum in my opinion.
Sue
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:28 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:I watched them at One Call near the end of the 2006-07. I would rather have them in the EFL than MK Dons. Enough said.

Lets all chip in. Dale can buy MK Dons and relocate em to Rochdale. Rochdons. I think its been done before.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:35 pm

Torquay United have gone into administration. The owner Clark Osborne who took over in 2016 can no longer fund the club. He said he was trying to build a new stadium for Torquay but nothing really happened.

Clarke Osborne is a controversial character who owns the Swindon Speedway team. He applied for planning permission to redevelop the Abbey Stadium at Swindon for speedway, greyhound racing and housing and then moved the speedway team out of the stadium. I don't think they are running a team this season. I remember BBC Wiltshire talking about this when the Stags played at Swindon. He had done something similar with the Reading speedway team. He was also involved in the past with Bristol Rovers when they were wanting to build a new ground after Eastville was sold to Ikea.

Torquay have loans of over £5 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:09 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Torquay United have gone into administration. The owner Clark Osborne who took over in 2016 can no longer fund the club. He said he was trying to build a new stadium for Torquay but nothing really happened.

Clarke Osborne is a controversial character who owns the Swindon Speedway team. He applied for planning permission to redevelop the Abbey Stadium at Swindon for speedway, greyhound racing and housing and then moved the speedway team out of the stadium. I don't think they are running a team this season. I remember BBC Wiltshire talking about this when the Stags played at Swindon. He had done something similar with the Reading speedway team. He was also involved in the past with Bristol Rovers when they were wanting to build a new ground after Eastville was sold to Ikea.

Torquay have loans of over £5 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224?

Swindon speedway won the league and cup double in 2019. Covid saw the 2020 season cancelled, and they never returned when racing restarted in 2021. Still in limbo and not involved for 2024.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum