{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas Akins Chant

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Lucas Akins chant

Postby MTFC-nathan » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:07 am

Anyone know the lyrics to the Lucas akins chant? COYS
MTFC-nathan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby zod » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:25 am

“Lucas Akins running down the wing….”

I’ll get me coat.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:24 am

MTFC-nathan wrote:Anyone know the lyrics to the Lucas akins chant? COYS

It's absolutely disgusting and easily the worst chant we've ever had (closely followed by that 'in 1987' drone). How anyone could ever think that a song like that (with clear racist undertones) is going to help a player is beyond me. Please just stop singing it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:38 am

Dan wrote:

It's absolutely disgusting and easily the worst chant we've ever had (closely followed by that 'in 1987' drone). How anyone could ever think that a song like that (with clear racist undertones) is going to help a player is beyond me. Please just stop singing it.

This.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Frankenstag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:07 am

No proper football fan would sing the Lucas Akins song, the sex offender song or your support is f### s###. Anyone caught singing these should be thrown out and banned. Juvenile, disrespectful crap only sung by the Stone Island/Burberry baby hooligans and their Fagin like mentors. It's a shame that we have such morons following the club, particularly at away games.
Frankenstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:00 am

Dan wrote:

How can he sing it, he doesn’t know the lyrics
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:10 am

I don't know the song at all. Would it, at a guess, be anything to do with a black man having a stereotypically large bodily part?

That'd be original.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:09 am

Big fan of the Fagin reference :lol:
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:14 am

Same. Cap doffed.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:36 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I don't know the song at all. Would it, at a guess, be anything to do with a black man having a stereotypically large bodily part?

That'd be original.

Yes, one wag even turned up at Colchester dressed up as Akins with a fake, long, black John Thomas coming out of his shorts down to his knees :roll:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:09 am

Dan wrote:

100% Dan, I bet the bloke cringes when he hears it.
I bet some say oh it's a bit of fun.....it isn't, it's vile.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:18 am

HitchcocksShins wrote:Big fan of the Fagin reference :lol:

Me not so much ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:38 am

Sneag wrote:

Me not so much ;)

:lol:

It's a horrible, horrible song. In fact, call me Mr Curmudgeonly, but I'm not a fan of any song about an individual player. That's probably my age, as I just can't bring myself to sing songs about blokes half my age :)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:13 am

After Swindon and hearing this, agree we need a new song.

Although saying that, at that age I would have found it amusing, not so much in my older years.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:10 pm

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Me not so much ;)

It's a horrible, horrible song. In fact, call me Mr Curmudgeonly, but I'm not a fan of any song about an individual player. That's probably my age, as I just can't bring myself to sing songs about blokes half my age :)

Rob wants people turning up early, don’t want this chant ringing around.. might be easier to ask what we can actually do :x
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:32 pm

PostmanPat wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Me not so much ;)

Rob wants people turning up early, don’t want this chant ringing around.. might be easier to ask what we can actually do :x

So you think a song, which if not racist is most certainly offensive, should be sung about one of our players? Pretty much sums you up. As I said, you need a new username, try one of the other ones you have stashed away :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:55 pm

Rob wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Me not so much ;)

So you think a song, which if not racist is most certainly offensive, should be sung about one of our players? Pretty much sums you up. As I said, you need a new username, try one of the other ones you have stashed away :lol:

Don’t think chanting about someone’s large penis is racist but ok…

P.S what time do turnstiles open :lol:
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:07 pm

a good article here on the subject. It's clearly inappropriate, and black players find it offensive. Hence it should stop.

‘It’s not a compliment, it’s racist’ — football culture and black players’ penises
by Jay Harris
Jan 19, 2023
https://theathletic.com/4099485/2023/01 ... ism-black/

“Willy Gnonto, Willy Gnonto / He eats spaghetti / He drinks Moretti / His gooseberry’s flipping massive.”

When Wilfried Gnonto scored for Leeds United in their 1-1 draw against West Ham United at the beginning of this month, it should have been a moment for him to cherish. Leeds have struggled for consistency this season and the now-19-year-old Italian forward has been a rare spark of excitement for the fans.

Gnonto’s first goal for the club was supposed to strengthen his bond with those supporters. However, a section of the crowd at Elland Road felt it appropriate to celebrate by singing, to the tune of La Bamba, about the supposed size of his penis.

Amad Diallo is excelling at Sunderland in the Championship, on loan from Manchester United. He has been subjected to the same treatment. Before the 3-0 victory over Millwall on December 3, the winger released a video on Sunderland’s social media channels asking for it to stop.

It didn’t.

Before the 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa last Friday, Leeds head coach Jesse Marsch put out a similar message regarding the Gnonto chant. It was however sung again after his two goals in the FA Cup replay win over Cardiff City, but not as loudly.

“I love how much the fans love him,” Marsch said. “Is there a way to modify it to be as passionate but more respectful? That’s what I would say.”

Don’t be surprised. This is far from the first time chants of this nature have been directed towards black players.

Shortly after Romelu Lukaku joined from Everton in the summer of 2017, Manchester United supporters started referring to him as their “Belgian scoring genius with a 24-inch penis”. Lukaku released a statement through the club that said “fans have meant well with their songs, but let’s move on together”. After that was ignored, his agent at the time, Mino Raiola, reiterated to The Times “he (Lukaku) would like this song to stop”.

When Ivan Toney was playing for Peterborough United in 2019, the now-Brentford striker requested “a new family version” of a chant about him that had similar lyrics to the ones sung more recently regarding Gnonto and Amad.

Don’t forget the fan who saw no problem hanging up an offensive banner of Divock Origi at the 2019 Champions League final between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.

The supporter escaped unpunished until the banner reappeared at Liverpool’s Champions League group game away to the Belgian club Genk a few months later. He was temporarily suspended from attending Liverpool matches, but the ban was lifted after he agreed to attend a session with the club’s community programme and undergo an education course with the anti-discrimination group Kick It Out.

Black players are stepping forward to publicly voice their displeasure about these chants, so why are they being ignored?

There will be people who argue telling a black man he has a large penis is a compliment, but they do not understand, or maybe just don’t care, these chants are deeply offensive and racist.

Obioma Ugoala is a stage actor and the author of a book titled The Problem With My Normal Penis.

Ugoala says people need to be educated about the historical context of “the myth of the black penis”.

“This language dehumanises black players by saying that not only are they exceptional, but they are weird and animalistic,” he tells The Athletic. “That language was the very language that allowed the transatlantic slave trade to take place because of eugenics that said, ‘Actually, these people are less than the rest of us in America’ and, ‘You can’t have sex with a black man because they are beasts’.

“Once you’re made aware of it, you can no longer be ignorant. It shouldn’t be something that we’re having a continual conversation over. Are we going to say enough is enough?

“Why do we feel we need to keep using those chants? What is it satisfying in us to abuse a player in this way? Do you see them as a player who you support or do you see them as a tool or as a puppet that you use? Do you not see them as human?

“Unfortunately, it’s this inability to see the players as human that allows people to turn on our national team when we had that incident at Euro 2020 — because you have dehumanised them to a degree that they don’t deserve your compassion.”

Ugoala is referencing the most recent European Championship final between Italy and England. Three young black players, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka, missed penalties as England lost in a shootout and were racially abused on social media afterwards.

Some people might perceive chants about having a big penis to be harmless by comparison, but they have the same negative impact.

During a League Two match between Barrow and Colchester United in November, the latter’s head coach Matt Bloomfield heard a “racially-motivated comment” from a home fan being directed towards one of his players. Bloomfield reported it to the fourth official and the police were notified.

Colchester forward Frank Nouble’s identity was not revealed at the time, but he now wants to publicly discuss the impact these comments have.

“The ball went out for a throw-in and a fan said, ‘Nouble — hopefully he can control it with his big black gooseberry’,” the former West Ham United and Ipswich Town striker tells The Athletic.

“After the game, the police came to our coach and asked me to come inside to the office of the Barrow manager. I was told there had been a chant about my penis and that they had found the individual on camera.”

The police arrested a 60-year-old man on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence. He was released on bail and the investigation found no reason to take further action.

“Those chants have lessened as the years have gone by, but five or six years ago they were constant about the size of your penis or what he has got hiding in his sock,” Nouble says.

“It doesn’t hurt you straight away because you think, ‘OK, it’s a bit of a joke for them’. It’s not damning in their eyes — if anything, (to them) it’s uplifting you. At the same time, there are historical connotations about it. My family and friends were saying this is a song that we don’t want to be hearing about.

“Whatever is chanted at you, you try to make it push you to your limits and outperform anything that’s said. But when you sit back and analyse the situation, especially now that I have got kids, I understand that these things can be hurtful and hit people’s state of mind. You realise that maybe this is not the right way to be celebrated in the sport that you play or in any walk of life.”

Zavon Hines started his career at West Ham and went on to play for clubs including Coventry City, Burnley and Southend United. He was forced to retire at the age of 30 because of injury and was recently appointed as the lead under-15s coach at West Ham’s academy.

Hines recalls hearing such chants during matches too and feeling “confused” why “fans are being racist towards players from the teams they support”.

“We were in a period where it felt like you couldn’t really say much,” he tells The Athletic. “If we react in a certain way, we get classed as an angry black man. But certain things are not a joke when it comes to your background and your personal life.

“It’s nothing to do with them. It’s personal and private. They wouldn’t want anyone to be speaking about a family member like that, but then to us, they will say it is a compliment.”

Chants about the size of your penis become even more difficult to deal with when they start to spread through a crowd, and beyond. How are you supposed to react when your colleagues, people who you thought were your friends, join in?

“It comes back into the changing rooms, so the boys (team-mates) are singing it in front of you, and some days you don’t want to hear it,” Nouble says.

“It was seen as a sense of endearment and again, that is down to education and everyone’s got different cultures. If anything, I could sense jealousy from the boys that, ‘Oh, Frank’s got a song he might think makes him a big character in the changing room’. I’m comfortable in my own skin, but the next person might not be. That’s where people could be more considerate.”

It is sad to hear Nouble admit his team-mates would sing such chants at him, but he feels like “we are living in two different generations in the space of five years”. The 31-year-old believes high-profile players being prepared to use their platforms to speak out about racism has helped to raise awareness and change attitudes. If a team-mate behaved in that way now, he says he would challenge them “without even thinking about it”.

Unfortunately, Nouble’s experiences are not a one-off.

“There was a young player who went out on loan and he was getting a few chants,” Nouble says. “He told me and he was kind of laughing, but I could see by his eyes he wasn’t really happy about it.

“But when you’re in an environment with a group of lads, it’s hard for people to come out and express how they feel. You don’t want to go against what the majority think. I just told him, ‘Look, whatever you don’t feel comfortable about, you tell them straight away’.”

Hines can recall one of his team-mates being mocked.

“There was one particular player in the dressing room and every time he got in the shower they would go and look, or ask him to take his towel off,” he says. “When it’s every single day, you’re basically picking on this person.

“You could see on his face, (he was thinking) ‘It’s enough, just let me be’. But there was never a moment where they asked, ‘Do you feel uncomfortable?’.”

“There was always a passing comment. People might think a passing comment is nothing, but that’s what hits the most. That sticks in the player’s mind. He is thinking every time he walks past he’s going to get that same comment. I’m still close with that player now and I know for a fact he hated it.”

The Football Association released a statement last week explaining it had informed clubs that “it considers the ‘Rent Boy’ chant to be a breach of the FA rules”. Last year, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed it considered that term a homophobic slur and therefore a hate crime.

The same clarification is needed for chants about black players’ penises.

Despite the CPS guidelines stating that racist chanting is “the repeated uttering of words or sounds threatening, abusive or insulting to another person because of that person’s colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origin”, no action is yet being taken.

When contacted about this article by The Athletic, a spokesperson for the CPS said they would not able to answer which specific chants would constitute a hate crime and that they judge each case on a case-by-case basis. Should the police refer anything to the CPS, they would then make a decision based on their legal test — the two-stage Code for Crown Prosecutors. They pointed towards the legal guidance prosecutors would refer to when making a charging decision.

Premier League players powerfully took a knee before every match during the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons to highlight racial inequality and addressing this issue is the next part of the journey to make football a more inclusive place.

Kick It Out has said it “would stress that racial stereotypes are harmful and offensive, irrespective of the intention to show support for a player” after Leeds fans were heard chanting about Gnonto as detailed at the start of this article, but there needs to be a greater willingness to tackle the problem from all of football’s key stakeholders.

“Maybe there should be a campaign where they have a short video that goes on TV,” Hines says. “If players explain their feelings, hopefully it will be a lot more impactful to people and they will understand.

“I’m just happy now there is room to actually speak up on these things and there are players, a lot braver than I probably was at the time, who actually want to say something. It’s getting a lot more airtime than it would have done before, which shows how quickly things can change.”

It feels unfair, though, to expect black players, who are the victims of these chants, to be solely responsible for educating people as to why they are offensive. Surely they should be protected and not forced to constantly relive that trauma?

“I don’t think that is an easy thing to ask a player,” Nouble says. “It’s difficult, but I would be prepared to do it and I would encourage other people to do the same.

“It’s a crazy world we live in that we allow certain things to happen. We wait for someone to really be affected by it mentally or, God forbid, do something to themselves for us to realise that this is terrible.”

It is important to recognise this issue is not just restricted to football.

Ugoala says he felt compelled to write The Problem With My Normal Penis by what he has experienced as an actor and in his private life.

“But I also have lots of black friends who see it as the one bit of social currency they have,” he says, “so they play up to that perceived social power: ‘I’m the black guy and I could take your white girlfriend because of my big black penis’.

“That is why I feel like we need to extend a bit of grace towards these white fans because they might say, ‘I’ve got a black friend who says they don’t mind being called that and actually, they talk about it’. How do you deal with that? When they are witnessing black people in their lives who are sort of using that currency and their black male sexuality in that way? It’s something that we have to be mindful of.”

An underlying problem connected to these chants is the lack of diversity within crowds at stadiums in England.

According to a YouGov poll in August 2021, 33 per cent of ethnic minority fans said they had personally experienced racist abuse in football grounds, 38 per cent witnessed others being targeted and 79 per cent were concerned they will see players receive abuse.

Until stadiums become more inclusive and safe environments for everybody, these songs will continue to filter through.

“Sometimes people say, ‘It’s not all the fans who are doing it’. But if only 10 per cent chant and the rest don’t do anything (about it), it doesn’t matter,” Ugoala says. “You didn’t turn around and say, ‘Don’t do that’, or, ‘What are you doing? We don’t accept that in our stadium’.

“It’s incumbent on all of us as fans to say we won’t stand for that. That is how these chants are allowed to go on. People join in because it is easier to go with the flow than call it out.

“We need to decide if we want an easy choice or the right choice. Do we want to make our black fans and our black athletes feel comfortable?”
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:45 pm

It would be interesting to see someone justify the chant having read that
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:53 pm

was saying this earlier. I was guilty of things like this when I was in my late teens (20 years ago). Its no secret we enjoyed Goma Lambu however as maturity and responsibility goes up, things like this go down. At the time i genuinely didn't really think it was that bigger deal. Funnily enough, now i have a child, im very mindful of what is said on the terraces

Id have thought most people singing this will be early to late teens, with only the odd person over 20 getting involved.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:21 pm

Thanks for sharing Martin. I think there has been lots of progress around the core issues of discrimination in football, it seems only natural that we are now exploring more nuanced forms of racism - chants which might not instantly sound racist, as they don't contain some of the horrible words normally associated with it, but contain the undertones and innuendo of racism and is upsetting to people who hear it. No-one deserves to hear racial abuse at any time, especially at work.

As has been said before, I honestly don't think that many people feel that what they are singing is wrong, for some it might feel like they are offering a compliment of sorts and don't stop to think. But this now needs to be addressed with education, perhaps with an extension of the work that Kick it Out do.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:43 pm

i dont think programs which were popular some time ago like soccer AM really helped the cause.

they used to interview players and ask who was the longest in the shower etc, with Dion Dublin always winning.

If it was acceptable to ask this, no wonder fans thought it was acceptable to sing what they believe to be a light hearted song.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:37 pm

we used to have square wheels, now we have round ones, time are changing
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:46 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:i dont think programs which were popular some time ago like soccer AM really helped the cause.

they used to interview players and ask who was the longest in the shower etc, with Dion Dublin always winning.

If it was acceptable to ask this, no wonder fans thought it was acceptable to sing what they believe to be a light hearted song.

Liam Lawrence was another regular winner of that feature but the less said about that the better.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:08 pm

If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum