{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Will Swan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Will Swan

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:24 am

part time pete wrote:
victor A block wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:If we’re not going to utilize him we might as well let him go. Get him out on loan to get some game time and try and build up his confidence. Even if we had more injuries up front, I still can’t see Clough playing him, especially when Flint is ahead of him now.

Flint has done absolutely nothing every occasion he is moved up front to suggest that is a positive idea. In fact we conceded that late winner at Swindon when he wasn't in the box to defend the cross. He's a defender.

Except getting that point at Colchester and the win against Donny in the pizza cup. ;)

One successful knock down in 38 attempts is not a tactic to build a promotion strategy on. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:44 am

Swan will come good but I think not this year.
We know he has it in him but, until recently, you cannot disrupt a winning team to shoehorn him into it.
We have no meaningful reserve team fixtures for him to get competitive minutes, if we could get a couple of decent frontmen in on loan I wouldn't be against loaning Swan out to get more game minutes and experience.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:50 am

oldweststander wrote:Swan will come good but I think not this year.
We know he has it in him but, until recently, you cannot disrupt a winning team to shoehorn him into it.
We have no meaningful reserve team fixtures for him to get competitive minutes, if we could get a couple of decent frontmen in on loan I wouldn't be against loaning Swan out to get more game minutes and experience.

Its not about shoehorning Swan into the team. With Oates injured Swan is his natural replacement. What we have done is changed a successful formation by shoehorning too many defenders /midfielders into the side
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:52 am

Swan has to start Tuesday, Akins is looking tired and old at the minute and is detrimental to the team
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:55 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:Swan has to start Tuesday, Akins is looking tired and old at the minute and is detrimental to the team

Neither good enough to play up front on their own. Play them both as a partnership. It then frees DKD to play in his best position.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby stag-bot » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:15 am

Swan and Bowery up front Tuesday. Akins needs a rest. Same again Saturday if it pays off. Chance to give Swan some game time.
stag-bot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:16 am

oldweststander wrote:Swan will come good but I think not this year.
We know he has it in him

Do we?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby mid table obscurity » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:57 pm

From the games I’ve seen this season when Swan has come off the bench, he has committed too many fouls. I guess he is there to put himself about and try to get a winner, but when he is too physical and keeps fouling his opponent, it breaks any momentum we may have as well as handing possession back to the opposition. In that case I can understand Clough not wanting to use him in that situation.
However, at the other end of the scale, when he has started games he hasn’t been effective enough over the course of the game, which is likely down to match sharpness and confidence.

I do not necessarily agree that he should be sent out on loan at this stage of the season. The way I see it, even if he has a promising spell, come the end of the season it will be a two month break before he plays games again, therefore any momentum he has gained could be lost. If he didn’t have a good spell, it could screw up his confidence even more.
When we have a player like Flint in our squad who has been instrumental in our defence this season and has a vast wealth of experience, as well as others like McLaughlin and Quinn and the like, I can’t help feeling that he’d be better off working with them in training when it comes to controlling his physical game. He knows them and they know his game and what he’s about, and we need to start getting him back onto the pitch for those 10 to 15 minutes spells to build his confidence back.
mid table obscurity
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:08 pm

The fact there are people demanding him in the starting 11 shows how desperate we are for a striker, swan has been miles off it all season. Only time he looked sharp was tranmere.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:05 pm

Unfortunately for Swan, when he has had limited minutes as a sub, or started in the cups, he hasn’t impressed. I would start him on Tuesday.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:11 pm

lifestags wrote:The fact there are people demanding him in the starting 11 shows how desperate we are for a striker, swan has been miles off it all season. Only time he looked sharp was tranmere.

Its hard to impress in 10 minutes , he needs game time akins is looking jaded either that or we get someone in
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:14 pm

Even Deeney says FGR are rubbish so be brave Clough and start Swan, could be a big chance for him.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:37 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Even Deeney says FGR are rubbish so be brave Clough and start Swan, could be a big chance for him.

I thought Morecambe were weak and they ended up playing well
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:40 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Even Deeney says FGR are rubbish so be brave Clough and start Swan, could be a big chance for him.

Just listened to his interview after the game on Saturday, would be surprised if he has not lost the dressing room already an early goal on Tuesday should sort it for us
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amberheart » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:46 pm

stag-bot wrote:Swan and Bowery up front Tuesday. Akins needs a rest. Same again Saturday if it pays off. Chance to give Swan some game time.

Agreed
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:05 pm

mid table obscurity wrote:From the games I’ve seen this season when Swan has come off the bench, he has committed too many fouls. I guess he is there to put himself about and try to get a winner, but when he is too physical and keeps fouling his opponent, it breaks any momentum we may have as well as handing possession back to the opposition. In that case I can understand Clough not wanting to use him in that situation.
However, at the other end of the scale, when he has started games he hasn’t been effective enough over the course of the game, which is likely down to match sharpness and confidence.

I do not necessarily agree that he should be sent out on loan at this stage of the season. The way I see it, even if he has a promising spell, come the end of the season it will be a two month break before he plays games again, therefore any momentum he has gained could be lost. If he didn’t have a good spell, it could screw up his confidence even more.
When we have a player like Flint in our squad who has been instrumental in our defence this season and has a vast wealth of experience, as well as others like McLaughlin and Quinn and the like, I can’t help feeling that he’d be better off working with them in training when it comes to controlling his physical game. He knows them and they know his game and what he’s about, and we need to start getting him back onto the pitch for those 10 to 15 minutes spells to build his confidence back.

He has commited a lot of fouls this year, which is why it's ridiculous when a few say that he's not bothered or no longer has a contract to play for, players that aren't bothered wouldnt be doing that.
I think a lot of his fouls are due to him trying to press more. His pressing stats and all round stats (I know some don't like stats but they do give a bit of evidence) are far higher than they were last season, that increased aggression causes fouls, as we see with Oates, and he's far more experienced at it than Swan.
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:20 pm

If you look at the game state when Swan has been brought on, it’s either when we need a goal or when the game is safe. To me that’s quite a clear indication that he’s either not trusted or not fit enough to do the out of possession stuff Clough wants him to do when a game is in the balance, at this present time.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:02 pm

Just a thought if he doesnt trust or rate swann why isn't he giving abdullah a chance ,if he tries and it works we all win if not its nothing lost
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:12 pm

Nigel said the other week after Swan came on that the player said to him that it was the first time he had felt right for a very long time.

Maybe its a fitness issue with Swan?

Can't believe after Swan was given a 3 year deal, that Nigel doesn't trust him, it just doesn't add up.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby mid table obscurity » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:25 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:He has commited a lot of fouls this year, which is why it's ridiculous when a few say that he's not bothered or no longer has a contract to play for, players that aren't bothered wouldnt be doing that.
I think a lot of his fouls are due to him trying to press more. His pressing stats and all round stats (I know some don't like stats but they do give a bit of evidence) are far higher than they were last season, that increased aggression causes fouls, as we see with Oates, and he's far more experienced at it than Swan.

Oates does but I think to a lesser extent (not seen any stats to confirm or disprove that view), however he has more pace and upper body build compared to Swan, therefore he probably has more of an advantage when it comes to battling for the ball. I see Gale having a similar problem this season when he’s played which is a shame as he has at times shown sublime control and play when he has been taking on defenders.

If Swan’s pressing stats are higher, is that an indication of the team doing more pressing compared to last season, and could be something Swan hasn’t quite got the measure of yet?

It has been commented that League 2 football is more physical than the higher divisions, therefore if we get promoted does this problem go away or will it persist playing against teams with better quality players?
mid table obscurity
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby TheMyTStags » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:46 pm

mid table obscurity wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:He has commited a lot of fouls this year, which is why it's ridiculous when a few say that he's not bothered or no longer has a contract to play for, players that aren't bothered wouldnt be doing that.

Oates does but I think to a lesser extent (not seen any stats to confirm or disprove that view), however he has more pace and upper body build compared to Swan, therefore he probably has more of an advantage when it comes to battling for the ball. I see Gale having a similar problem this season when he’s played which is a shame as he has at times shown sublime control and play when he has been taking on defenders.

If Swan’s pressing stats are higher, is that an indication of the team doing more pressing compared to last season, and could be something Swan hasn’t quite got the measure of yet?

It has been commented that League 2 football is more physical than the higher divisions, therefore if we get promoted does this problem go away or will it persist playing against teams with better quality players?

Swan gives away 1.24 fouls per 90, Oates' record is 2.34. Oates' rate places him as the 5th highest in the league. I think it goes unnoticed as Oates also wins the ball often in dangerous areas. If Swan had maybe created or caused a few goals from pressing, we'd perhaps be more lenient?
As for the team, our pressing intensity has gone down this year from last (although TheAnalyst suggests we're still the best pressing team in the league).
League 2 football is of course very physical, which is why I think Swan had such success off the bench last year rather than starting. When he starts, fresh defenders can bully him. When they're tired, they can't get near him as his pace and positional sense (probably the best part of his game) is too much. Anyone's guess how that translate to L1 (less physical, but smarter defenders).
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby pemill » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:55 pm

We will never know about Swan, he can't make a name for himself by playing a few minutes here and there, he needs a decent run in the team to find his feet and his touch.

In the time I've seen him play he constantly makes runs along the back line but because of the style we play no one is looking for that ball into him. He is able to press the GK and defenders at speed.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby mid table obscurity » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:43 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:Swan gives away 1.24 fouls per 90, Oates' record is 2.34. Oates' rate places him as the 5th highest in the league. I think it goes unnoticed as Oates also wins the ball often in dangerous areas. If Swan had maybe created or caused a few goals from pressing, we'd perhaps be more lenient?
As for the team, our pressing intensity has gone down this year from last (although TheAnalyst suggests we're still the best pressing team in the league).

Now that you’ve put figures to it, I’m a little surprised by that statistic as I felt it would have been to other way round, but just goes to show that when things aren’t going right, it can look worse than what it actually is.
mid table obscurity
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:53 pm

Swan should hopefully get some more minutes with the unfortunate Oates news.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum