{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Starting Xl first game.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Starting Xl first game.

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:35 pm

SelstonStag88 wrote:
Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Clough's definitely got some tough decisions in the midfield area: Maris, Reed, Clarke, Boateng, Quinn, Hartigan to fit into potentially 3. Any 3 of those would be starters in any team.

Splinters Mark?

If we have a midfield 3 and all are fully fit I'd play Reed, Clarke and Maris. For me, not a tough call.

I don't think you've got a left of diamond there, I know they're all midfielders as such but they've also all got areas where they're strongest, so that looks a little unbalanced. This is how I see it, and I may be wrong:

Holding midfield: Reed, Hartigan, Maris
Right of diamond: Maris, Clarke
Left of diamond: Boateng, Quinn.

Maris definitely starts for me, I like the way that Boateng finished last season so we might be seeing the best of him and Quinn has always been central to us doing well, Clarke also has purple patches too and he drives us forward. I haven't seen enough of Reed yet but I don't think Clough has signed him for the bench, and I think Hartigan is probably the easiest to leave out. Given that though, and the balance, I'd probably go for Reed, Maris, Quinn/Boateng (can't split them - although Quinn will probably not play more than 60 minutes).

I'd guess that's why he's signed Lewis and Macdonald, both attacking full backs. A diamond is naturally quite narrow so either Reed or Maris could play there, as I see it more a centre/left midfield role rather than a traditional wide midfielder. That said, I'd have no problem Boateng or Quinn ahead of Clarke but for me Reed and Maris must start, they will give us the quality and ball retention we need.

2 full backs in a diamond need to be defensively solid, very isolated position whoever plays there presuming Johnson RB Macdonald LB will be 2v1 most games.

Isn't that why you play a defensive midfielder? The full backs provide the width, the DM drops back making a back three allowing the two centre backs to cover the full back positions on whichever side we are attacking. The key to the success of this is the ability of the full backs, it works with Hewitt, to a lesser extent with Macca (he is not as good defensively), I think this is why we have two new full backs (three since January), they are attacking in nature but are defenders, whereas Macca was a converted winger - brilliant at wing back, not so good at full back. I think to date our recruitment this calendar year has been just about bang on, shame it's taken over two years to do what was fairly obvious to most from day one. With one more CB (hopefully Harbottle), this current squad would have been top 3 last season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:02 am

Rob wrote:
Isn't that why you play a defensive midfielder? The full backs provide the width, the DM drops back making a back three allowing the two centre backs to cover the full back positions on whichever side we are attacking. The key to the success of this is the ability of the full backs, it works with Hewitt, to a lesser extent with Macca (he is not as good defensively), I think this is why we have two new full backs (three since January), they are attacking in nature but are defenders, whereas Macca was a converted winger - brilliant at wing back, not so good at full back. I think to date our recruitment this calendar year has been just about bang on, shame it's taken over two years to do what was fairly obvious to most from day one. With one more CB (hopefully Harbottle), this current squad would have been top 3 last season.

Dare I say it....

IF everyone stays fit :|

.....I agree
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:17 am

We have a very squad of players to pick from.Providing they are all fit I think we have the following certain to start.Pym Kilgour Cargill Reed Boateng DKD Akins Swan.Just my opinion of course.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:14 pm

I think Clough loves having Quinn on the pitch personally.

Like having an assistant manager out there pretty much.

He's better as a starter who comes off after 60-70 mins, rather than someone coming off of the bench and needing time to get into the rhythm of the match for me.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:23 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I think Clough loves having Quinn on the pitch personally.

Like having an assistant manager out there pretty much.

He's better as a starter who comes off after 60-70 mins, rather than someone coming off of the bench and needing time to get into the rhythm of the match for me.

Agree with this better starting than coming on as a sub, also helps to set the high tempo same as Clarke does when he is on the pitch
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:36 pm

If it’s a diamond it will be

Pym
Johnson Kilgour Cargill Macdonald
Reed
Maris Quinn
DKD
Swan Akins
With Boeteng, Clarke and Oates to come in for Quinn, Maris and Swan when rotation is needed.

433 could be

Pym
Lewis Kilgour Cargill Macdonald
Clarke Reed Quinn
Oates Akins DKD.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:11 pm

Last team from lifestag about right 433 maybe Maris overReed
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:56 am

lifestags wrote:If it’s a diamond it will be

Pym
Johnson Kilgour Cargill Macdonald
Reed
Maris Quinn
DKD
Swan Akins
With Boeteng, Clarke and Oates to come in for Quinn, Maris and Swan when rotation is needed.

433 could be

Pym
Lewis Kilgour Cargill Macdonald
Clarke Reed Quinn
Oates Akins DKD.

Clarke definitely in front of Maris based on when he was injury free end of last season.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:15 am

Maris would be the first name on my team sheet.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:24 am

I've a feeling that Boateng will be an important player for us. When he's on it he's technically really gifted. It's the games when he's not. He has the benefit of a year at the club under his belt and was notably in much better form at the back couple of months of last season.

I look at the midfield as all having a part to play. I'd class none of them as 'starters' (possibly only Quinny is anyone) - they're a rolling unit that all have a part to play in the season; same with the forwards.
The only positions I'd want to see particularly settled is that much required back line - get that right, happy days!
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:37 am

If we dominate possession, players like Boateng and Hartigan start to really show their quality as they are ball players.

The problem is when we don't dominate possession and they are expected to get about the pitch and break up play.
They transition so slowly and get caught out an awful lot.

The key is getting the balance right between the ball winners and the creativity - that also depends on the opposition and what they have to offer in the same areas of the pitch.

That's why I think there'll be a lot of chopping and changing this season.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:37 am

If there’s one worry with our midfield unit for me, it’s that with the exception of Clarke, they’re all primarily technical rather than physical players. When Clarke inevitably picks up knocks/suspensions throughout the campaign, in certain games we miss his ability to rattle the opposition. Maris can do it to a certain extent but isn’t quite as mobile. I’m thinking this is where Lewis may come into midfield to add a more physical style.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:41 am

I agree quinn is much better starting than coming on as a sub.Reed will be the main defensive midfielder I think.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:14 am

Quinn has only been subbed on 7 times in 2.5 seasons, and doesn’t appear to have done much wrong in those substitute appearances, so I find it hard to form a strong opinion on how impactful a substitute he might be.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:18 am

MTFCMusings wrote:If there’s one worry with our midfield unit for me, it’s that with the exception of Clarke, they’re all primarily technical rather than physical players. When Clarke inevitably picks up knocks/suspensions throughout the campaign, in certain games we miss his ability to rattle the opposition. Maris can do it to a certain extent but isn’t quite as mobile. I’m thinking this is where Lewis may come into midfield to add a more physical style.

John-Joe maybe?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:39 am

I know it runs counter to the fact that we've paid what could possibly be close to a club record fee for a young striker from a Premiership club on a 3 year contract, but looking at how Clough used Swan last year, I wouldn't rule out him starting with a midfield 4 sometimes, with Akins up front and DKD just off him and Swan on the bench. More than the midfield being interchangeable, I think it's probably the front 6 that are interchangeable, moving through different formations, with maybe Reed and Akins being the ones that stay fixed - so the 4 remaining positions become between DKD, Swan, Boateng, Maris, Quinn, Clarke, Hartigan and Oates.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:53 am

Marky Mark wrote:I know it runs counter to the fact that we've paid what could possibly be close to a club record fee for a young striker from a Premiership club on a 3 year contract, but looking at how Clough used Swan last year, I wouldn't rule out him starting with a midfield 4 sometimes, with Akins up front and DKD just off him and Swan on the bench. More than the midfield being interchangeable, I think it's probably the front 6 that are interchangeable, moving through different formations, with maybe Reed and Akins being the ones that stay fixed - so the 4 remaining positions become between DKD, Swan, Boateng, Maris, Quinn, Clarke, Hartigan and Oates.

I agree that he might try to stack the midfield as much as possible, potentially using a 4231 so something like:
Pym
Lewis Kilgour Cargill MacDonald
Maris Reed
Boateng DKD Quinn
Akins
Could easily move it around too. Swan potentially up top, Oates up top or on the right, Hartigan could come in for Reed, Clarke instead of Maris or move Maris forward and play Clarke alongside Reed
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:18 am

TheMyTStags wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I know it runs counter to the fact that we've paid what could possibly be close to a club record fee for a young striker from a Premiership club on a 3 year contract, but looking at how Clough used Swan last year, I wouldn't rule out him starting with a midfield 4 sometimes, with Akins up front and DKD just off him and Swan on the bench. More than the midfield being interchangeable, I think it's probably the front 6 that are interchangeable, moving through different formations, with maybe Reed and Akins being the ones that stay fixed - so the 4 remaining positions become between DKD, Swan, Boateng, Maris, Quinn, Clarke, Hartigan and Oates.

I agree that he might try to stack the midfield as much as possible, potentially using a 4231 so something like:
Pym
Maris Reed
Boateng DKD Quinn
Akins
Could easily move it around too. Swan potentially up top, Oates up top or on the right, Hartigan could come in for Reed, Clarke instead of Maris or move Maris forward and play Clarke alongside Reed

Not sure I’d be crazy about playing Boateng and Quinn out wide in a 4-2-3-1 seen as though they’re both not wingers and both of them lack pace. I think you need someone in your 11 who can stretch teams with their pace - that 11 definitely lacks mobility. Of course, like you say we could put Oates and Swan out wide in that formation, but again neither of them are natural wingers and would be playing out of position for me.

You’d have enough stability in midfield in the diamond formation with say Reed at the base, Maris/Clarke on the right of the diamond, Boateng on the left of the diamond and DKD as a 10. That also allows you to start Swan up front with Akins to provide you some much needed pace and the threat to get in behind. And, most importantly, nobody would be playing out of position.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:44 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:If there’s one worry with our midfield unit for me, it’s that with the exception of Clarke, they’re all primarily technical rather than physical players. When Clarke inevitably picks up knocks/suspensions throughout the campaign, in certain games we miss his ability to rattle the opposition. Maris can do it to a certain extent but isn’t quite as mobile. I’m thinking this is where Lewis may come into midfield to add a more physical style.

John-Joe maybe?

Not mobile enough based on last season, although looked in decent shape from the pictures I saw at Retford.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:20 pm

oldweststander wrote:Maris would be the first name on my team sheet.

Mine too, followed by Kilgour and Swan.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:37 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:

Pym
Maris Reed
Boateng DKD Quinn
Akins

Not sure I’d be crazy about playing Boateng and Quinn out wide in a 4-2-3-1 seen as though they’re both not wingers and both of them lack pace. I think you need someone in your 11 who can stretch teams with their pace - that 11 definitely lacks mobility. Of course, like you say we could put Oates and Swan out wide in that formation, but again neither of them are natural wingers and would be playing out of position for me.

You’d have enough stability in midfield in the diamond formation with say Reed at the base, Maris/Clarke on the right of the diamond, Boateng on the left of the diamond and DKD as a 10. That also allows you to start Swan up front with Akins to provide you some much needed pace and the threat to get in behind. And, most importantly, nobody would be playing out of position.

It definitely lacks pace which is the trade off with having more midfielders. However if you dominate possession more you don't really need pace as much (Spains 4-6-0 had absolutely no pace in that 6 they just played teams to death which requires good passing ability and movement). I personally agree we should have somebody in the team with speed (Swan, Oates) as the way we have played in recent seasons requires moving the ball quickly and I don't see us changing that. However, it's an alternative option. Also in the diamond are you not starting Maris and Boateng effectively as wingers (I know they wouldn't be playing as out and outs but it's a similar position to the wide roles in a 4231).
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:13 am

There is one thing for certain.The squad with the new signing will be large and will have 3-4 players unable to make the bench.Competition for places will be fierce.Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of players going out.I think this squad is as good as we have ever had in all my years of following the Stags,
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum