{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lapslie (confirmed) & Hawkins (confirmed) sold to Gillingham

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: (rumour) Lapslie and Hawkins sold to Gillingham

Postby Costastag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:33 am

Im much more interested to see it actually confirmed
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:36 am

I’m not normally a big fan of the big man up front type of football, but Hawkins has shown poacher,
and be in the right place at the right time,
composed volley/half volley finishes
Headed goals
How could you ever expect a player to settle as a CH just for his heading.
Yes he was found out at Wembley on a big pitch, open game, and at key games last/this season with bad passes , miss interceptions/tackles, positioning and pace
But…..
How can you expect players to settle into their skill set when placed in totally different roles
In defence he tried his best.
Upfront he scored goals
I actually think with his head spinning not knowing where he maybe played week in week out or swapped inside a game x3 times.
If NC plans was to continue using him in this way, I hope he goes. For his sake, and ours, but…….its not his fault imo.

Laps I love but NC messed him about imo, like Clarke. Last season in/out team consistently. This season we have had injuries and Laps has been played more. But…..maybe he thinks with a full fit squad he will be back to in/out situation

I don’t blame Laos if he goes.

I’m not trying to disrespect NC. Play off final, record season ticket sales, still in contention for lay offs but I do concur with eyebrow raising comments made on the forum about tactics/small squad/transfer concerns

I am hoping NC turns this around with shrewd January transfer business but I& this rumour is to be believed we will need imo

Hawks/Laps replacements
And still the x3 others players needed before

Hope you pull it off NC but a tough call. Hope he does as I like NC
Last edited by AshoverStag on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:46 am

1966Stag wrote:
stag324 wrote:I must be one of only a handful who won’t miss Hawkins.

He let us down badly at Wembley and is a liability at the back when the balls played on the floor.

How many mid guided passes does he make in a game?

We will replace him, I have no doubt in that.

As for Laps I’m gutted he’s going, second top scorer and most assists this season and we will truly miss him.

It is all in who comes into the club now for me.

And £100k for two players out of contract in the summer is excellent business by the club

Agreed - Hawkins has been a key part of a defence that most have criticised and didn't contribute a great deal in attack last week. Laps is no better than the (admittedly out of form) midfielders we still have under contract - there was tons of moaning over the summer that we were signing yet another midfielder - now moaning that we are letting one go (who is out of contract in 6 months anyway).

It's clear the squad needs freshening up - much more interested in who is coming in.

The midfield could now become an issue though, with Lapslie leaving and Hartigan out for the season more or less. Clarke is injured, Quinn can’t play 90 mins and Boateng flattering to deceive.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:55 am

At the beginning of the season I was struggling to find a place for Hawkins in the starting XI, obviously things have changed with a lot of players since then. But I think if we had decent centre halves, then Hawkins would probably be sub.

From Lapslie perspective, this has been coming for a few months with him being the elephant in the room with everyone else extending contracts. If I think about some of our best performances, Lapslie has been key to them - when he's on form and played in the right place then he's far too good for this league. He would be be the bigger miss, for me.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:26 am

I can’t say I’ve been worried all season about any of our players performing so well that it will alert teams and we risk losing them.

I do think that if both Lapslie and Hawkins are sold it does potentially indicate that we are moving towards not being able to rely on the Radford’s to fund our transfer activities. It makes good business sense to sell two players that could leave for free in the summer, especially if the buying club are not a promotion rival and will actually pay a decent sum.

I would however be hugely surprised if Clough wants to lose Hawkins, a nailed on starter, captain several times and able to cover more than one position. Given how reluctant he was to let Charlsley leave last season too, an argument can be made that he feels similarly about Lapslie, given that Laps features much more than Charlsley ever did.

Neither player has been standout this season, Hawkins has been part of a leaky defence and Laps has had purple patches but a lot of average performances also. There is definitely a player in Lapslie and he’s more than capable of coping in the division above should he go and perform consistently to his best ability. In mitigation both players have been moved from pillar to post, in particular Lapslie who has played RWB, CM, RW, tip of the diamond, behind one main striker and even as a striker. That can’t help you consistently hit your best form.

Both players have been good servants to the club and their commitment can’t be questioned. If they do leave I wish them well.

I might be wrong but I think Clough has been told he needs to generate his own funds if he wishes to improve the squad.

This could be a very interesting window, not quite poop or bust but a realisation that something needs to change if we are to get a promotion push back on the rails and that we are likely to see more changes than we have been expecting.
Last edited by Showaddywaddy on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:29 am

If we sold a few mor players, we might have a settled XI at least. No subs but that's alright, bench the kids.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:41 am

Theres nothing mentioned anywhere on EFL 2 or MTFC sites ??
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby AshoverStag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:41 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:I can’t say I’ve been worried all season about any of our players performing so well that it will alert teams and we risk losing them.

I do think that if both Lapslie and Hawkins are sold it does potentially indicate that we are moving towards not being able to rely on the Radford’s to fund our transfer activities. It makes good business sense to sell two players that could leave for free in the summer, especially if the buying club are not a promotion rival and will actually pay a decent sum.

I would however be hugely surprised if Clough wants to lose Hawkins, a nailed on starter, captain several times and able to cover more than one position. Given how reluctant he was to let Charlsley leave last season too, an argument can be made that he feels similarly about Lapslie, given that Laps features much more than Charlsley ever did.

Neither player has been standout this season, Hawkins has been part of a leaky defence and Laps has had purple patches but a lot of average performances also. There is definitely a player in Lapslie and he’s more than capable of coping in the division above should he go and perform consistently to his best ability. In mitigation both players have been moved from pillar to post, in particular Lapslie who has played RWB, CM, RW, tip of the diamond, behind one main striker and even as a striker. That can’t help you consistently hit your best form.

Both players have been good servants to the club and their commitment can’t be questioned. If they do leave I wish them well.

I might be wrong but I think Clough has been told he needs to generate his own funds if he wishes to improve the squad.

This could be a very interesting window, not quite poop or bust but a realisation that something needs to change if we are to get a promotion push back on the rails and that we are likely to see more changes than we have been expecting.

I think that’s again a really good post and I agree.

I will add I hope they do sort this out as I can’t see them selling 4500 season tickets 23/24 if not

The fans have backed the club, with season tickets sold this year, and home and away. I’ve seen at all away games in the league a good turn out and fans singing and really backing the team. At home fans have also come out in good numbers.

Here is hoping if these 2 do go, and rumour is correct. The Managment team dnt let the fans down. Or they may not have as many next year.
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Beyond The Pale » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:09 pm

I'd be surprised is Laps went & more than a little disappointed. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me, along with Rhys Oates, Ollie Clarke & George Maris.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 pm

Who said the transfer window was boring
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Beyond The Pale wrote:I'd be surprised is Laps went & more than a little disappointed. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me, along with Rhys Oates, Ollie Clarke & George Maris.

Comes from Essex/Kent area.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:25 pm

if the manager doesn’t want to sell, we won’t !

if both are gone before Saturday, the heat will be on

hopefully the management team know what they are doing & David Sharp has the signatures of their replacements sorted, what we cannot allow is a repeat of the mess of the last two tx windows
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:31 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:if the manager doesn’t want to sell, we won’t !

hopefully the management team know what they are doing & David Sharp has the signatures of their replacements sorted, what we cannot allow is a repeat of the mess of the last two tx windows

But therein lies the problem YS ....hands up all those who've got confidence in Simon Clough and the recruitment process....anyone... anyone.....??!!?!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 pm

victor A block wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:I'd be surprised is Laps went & more than a little disappointed. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me, along with Rhys Oates, Ollie Clarke & George Maris.

Comes from Essex/Kent area.

Indeed it's Essex I think, & if he's homesick, that's fair enough.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:43 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

But therein lies the problem YS ....hands up all those who've got confidence in Simon Clough and the recruitment process....anyone... anyone.....??!!?!

I think that they will be quite competent in these circumstances. It’s one thing trying to find additional players and a completely different one when it comes to replacements as the brief is more defined. Add the fact that JR probably wouldn’t sanction the sales until replacements were nailed on and I’m confident we won’t be worse off.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:44 pm

bear 73 wrote:Who said the transfer window was boring

12 days in, zero activity apart from a few unsubstatiated rumours.

That's the very definition of boring.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:49 pm

What makes you think it is NC decision?

From his reaction regarding the transfer window in his press conference I would suggest it is JR's or DS's.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 pm

More interested in who is coming in or is it one of those can’t say in case agents are viewing stagsnet lol as if
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:53 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

From his reaction regarding the transfer window in his press conference I would suggest it is JR's or DS's.

don’t agree, Clough will have final say on sales of this nature i should think, incomings & contracts no that will be above him.

Be an interesting 72hrs that’s for sure

watch them both be in the squad Saturday lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:59 pm

Very big loss if they both go.
I think pretty much admits we aren’t going up and will be a rebuild in the summer. Wouldn’t surprise me with NC walking when his contract is up too.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:01 pm

Every agent in the country will be touting players to Gillingham to see if they can get signing on fees and higher wages for their players. Agents want players to move clubs to make some dosh. Loadsamoney!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:04 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

don’t agree, Clough will have final say on sales of this nature i should think, incomings & contracts no that will be above him.

Be an interesting 72hrs that’s for sure

watch them both be in the squad Saturday lol
He has already said the the DJ situation is out of his hands. So why would these two be any different. You need to remember a fee is involved. I think NC would 100% want to hold onto Hawkins and Lapslie.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:04 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

The final decision on transfer activity lies with the board, thats why Johnson is still on our books,
The role is in the title Manager you have a budget and your job is to manage it, requests will be considered.
Hence the saying beyond my pay grade.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm

If the players want to go then Clough will not stand in their way, he’s said this line on many occasions in the past.

On a purely business level the deals make sense.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:If the players want to go then Clough will not stand in their way, he’s said this line on many occasions in the past.

at the cost of his job ?…..i’m not so sure it’s that simple
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum