{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfer Window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfer Window

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:50 pm

Considering the disaster of the summer window and even last years January window didn’t work out how we expected, I have low expectations for this one!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:52 pm

oldweststander wrote:Dream on.

Nigel said one in, one out. If the new left back proves his fitness I'd expect him to sign and maybe send one of the young lads out on loan.

Don't expect big movement from Mr Clough, he has never done such things and he is on record as saying January is a tough window etc.?

Much depends on Nigel's ambitions for the club and whether he wants to stay with us or not. Equally, much depends on the owner, does he still have the will to foot the bill or to change the leadership team again whilst living a new life in Portugal?

Under no illusions that will happen. Just what isld like to see us do. It's very similar to what I hoped would happen in the summer (plus another LWB but we signed one of those)

January windows are harder than summer ones. Based on Clough's last 2 summer windows there's no wonder he finda the winter on hard. Every summer window has left us blatantly short at the back. Last summer I was lambasted for suggesting we needed someone the play centre half, along with the "if you offer me a forward or a centre half I'd sign the forward" line. This season it was obvious we needed backup for Macca. Bowery and Akins proved they can't do it, Wallace is OK but fitness is an issue.

And for the 2nd year running we've had to sign a defender late Oct/early Nov to address a shortfall that's been there for months.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:57 pm

i guess depends if you are walking on thin ice or not at the time
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:59 pm

Unless I'm missing something David Sharpe is very much in the background, is he injured or left the club?

Just on the point of O'Toole, I personally don't think he's past it, he needs a sustained run in the team but not with Perch in a back 3. Perchy hasn't been the same player since fracturing his skull, he will have lost so much fitness which is difficult to get back the older he gets and seem to be devoid of confidence.

Oates will be like a new signing but will Clough play him and Swan up front together, they could be a real threat and both know how to score. Unfortunately while ever Akins is on the scene I think Clough's plan will be for Oates or Swan to play off him, good luck with that one.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:11 pm

Bowery needs to go.Too lazy and not tough enough.Where was he for Harrogates first goal? Hope to see Oates and Swan up front.Both have pace which is important for strikers.We certainly need a good centre back.O'Toole and Perch far too slow.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:23 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:29 pm

geoffhill wrote:Bowery needs to go.Too lazy and not tough enough.Where was he for Harrogates first goal? Hope to see Oates and Swan up front.Both have pace which is important for strikers.We certainly need a good centre back.O'Toole and Perch far too slow.

One thing Bowery isn't is lazy, but everyone has their personal whipping boy I suppose.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:40 pm

geoffhill wrote:Bowery needs to go.Too lazy and not tough enough.Where was he for Harrogates first goal? Hope to see Oates and Swan up front.Both have pace which is important for strikers.We certainly need a good centre back.O'Toole and Perch far too slow.

What is/was your profession Geoff ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:08 pm

It really is a shock that a striker with no experience of defending is not very good as a defender.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:24 pm

Put Bowery up front and he scores. Same as Hawkins. Who’d have thunk it!!??
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:56 am

What has my profession got to do with anything.I am just a supporter like most on here.I have been watching all sports for many years and played some sports at a good level.Ability is very important but also is determination and heart which Bowery is lacking.Just my opinion of course.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:46 pm

I’d say 3 central defenders right wing and centre forward are needed in January
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

It really is a shock that a striker with no experience of defending is not very good as a defender.

You cannot blame Jordan Bowery for the 1st goal at Harrogate. He was right at the back post when Kieran Wallace crossed the ball from our free kick. If Wallace had delivered a better deeper cross* then there was a good chance Jordan would have won the header because he was being marked by Josh Falkingham. I also think George Maris might have got back to stop the 1st goal if he had not been limping due to Falkingham's nasty tackle. He was really struggling to run back but still got back to the goal line behind Christy Pym.

Jordan Bowery was partly at fault for the 3rd goal but so were Perch, O'Toole and Hawkins. James Perch misses the ball when the ball is first played out of Harrogate's defence and then is caught ball watching as he allows Armstrong to run in and tap in at the near post.

Jordan Bowery is a better defender than Kellan Gordon. It was his attacking skills that mainly let him down on Saturday as he was generally high up the pitch on the right in front of me but his control was awful and he was very easily dispossessed at times. He was also reluctant to shoot (applies to most of our players). He looked a player short of confidence. He suffers because he is always asked to do a job for the team as a utility player rather than playing up front. He's always looked better playing out wide up front though and not as a target man.

* = Our set pieces and crosses this season have often been over hit to the far post with nobody coming in on them.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:47 pm

Both Bowery and Gordon are poor defenders Darren, so to say Bowery is better than Gordon is like saying John Dempster was a better Stags manager than Graham Coughlan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:18 pm

Big mistake letting Cooper go on loan. Looked excellent in pre season and played well at County. Ok vs youngsters but still, a natural CH

Ok I’m not saying I’d have put him in full 90 mins but could have been eased in when we were coasting in games. Last 20 mins

Not sure, is he left or right footed ?

Problem then is we would still be relying on young inexperienced in him and Harbottle and a Striker playing defence

Whichever ever way you look at it we need to sign in January

Why o why didn’t he swap out Akins for Gale in a few games too.

To me you either smoothly filter in talented youngsters or you sign experience

Come January we will see what we see
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:43 pm

George Cooper can be recalled at any time I believe. As can Owen Mason. (After the initial month of the loan, which has now passed)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:51 am

Cooper was solid, neat and tidy at Clownty t'other night. I know it was just the little pies though
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Both Bowery and Gordon are poor defenders Darren, so to say Bowery is better than Gordon is like saying John Dempster was a better Stags manager than Graham Coughlan.

I still think Jordan Bowery has the athletic ability and skill to play right wing back Sam but he's having to learn quickly on the job having played all his career as a forward. It's also not really an issue we should be talking about as Nigel Clough should have signed two quality centre halfs so Elliott Hewitt can play his best position of right wing back.

I also see references to Oli Hawkins as our 2nd or 3rd best defender. I would argue he has been our best defender based on overall peformances since he started playing at centre half. John Joe O'Toole was great last season but he has not yet got back to his best form. He needs to shave his hair off.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:43 pm

Bowery does not have any natural defensive instincts, it’s somert to with the fact he’s a striker.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:58 pm

Gordon is a much better defender than Bowery and a better attacking wing back.. Its not a particularly high accolade though. Like Akins, Clough seems determined to find a place for Bowery in the team regardless of their ability to play there.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:30 pm

victor A block wrote:Gordon is a much better defender than Bowery and a better attacking wing back.. Its not a particularly high accolade though. Like Akins, Clough seems determined to find a place for Bowery in the team regardless of their ability to play there.

I don't agree, not saying Bowery is better than Gordon but Gordon is a terrible defender.

As for Clough's determination to find a place for Bowery, that's not accurate either, Bowery has been on the bench many times. The issue is, other than Hewitt, we do not have a capable right wingback.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:54 pm

I wouldn’t pick Bowery to get me goals , about 75 in 400ish games ,Not prolific
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:54 pm

oldweststander wrote:
victor A block wrote:Gordon is a much better defender than Bowery and a better attacking wing back.. Its not a particularly high accolade though. Like Akins, Clough seems determined to find a place for Bowery in the team regardless of their ability to play there.

I don't agree, not saying Bowery is better than Gordon but Gordon is a terrible defender.

As for Clough's determination to find a place for Bowery, that's not accurate either, Bowery has been on the bench many times. The issue is, other than Hewitt, we do not have a capable right wingback.

Gordon is very much not a good defender and not a good attacker. At the minute he looks like he can run fast and that's about it. He hasn't progressed at all I don't think since he was signed.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 pm

I’d pick Gordon at RWB over Bowery every time, Bowery always looks lost there!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:21 pm

Ralphy wrote:I’d pick Gordon at RWB over Bowery every time, Bowery always looks lost there!!

I wouldn't put him there either. Hewitt for me all day.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum