{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Colchester scorerfred sponsored by day late

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Colchester scorerfred sponsored by day late

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:17 pm

So we are hopefully at the end of a bad run with injured players returning and we are still in the play off positions.
Small mercies after such a draw period of results
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:20 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
broomo wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Pleased for akins..

However....

FAO Martin. Calling fans a disgrace when swan was subbed is not fair. Swan has been busy, and going for a win taking striker off isn't a good look. It paid off this time, that is why there were boos.

FAo Dean... uncessary stick? Don't call out fans for giving akins stick. He's been awful and shoehorned in for weeks. We have been rewarded this week, but that doesn't excuse why he gets stick in the first place

You don't boo your own player coming on, ever.

Martin and Dean were both spot on and justified.

Been a long time since I've been so pleased and so relieved for a player getting the winner.

Scrappy frustrating game, two absolute peaches of a cross and 2 good headers.

Much needed.

Broomo, everyone is entitled to their opinion and boing is an acceptable way of showing displeasure. Akins due to his abject performances of late has not got to work to turn those boos around. Today has proved he can though he has awful amount of poor performances to atone for before people rise to applaud him coming on.

Booing your own player IS NOT an acceptable way of showing displeasure at all. What on earth does it achieve? It's the moronic and nasty face of football.

Special mention to the "sub" lino who I honestly thought was taking the piss.

He took longer to warm up than any professional player I've ever seen.

The officials were garbage from first to last minute.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Just seen the winning goal back and there was a blatant fouls by Akins on their centre back. Makes up for the penalty decision.

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Just seen the winning goal back and there was a blatant fouls by Akins on their centre back. Makes up for the penalty decision.

Ah well. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:31 pm

I will take that and hopefully a turning point for us.

Oates needs to be up front from the first minute not the 70th
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tomwh » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Just seen the winning goal back and there was a blatant fouls by Akins on their centre back. Makes up for the penalty decision.

Proof that the officials were woeful from the first minute to the last. When you see the standard of officiating at the world cup though, it's no surprise that at our level they're this bad. They can't get it right when they look at 10 slow mo replays for crying out loud.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:50 pm

agree we deserved that, the lino our side & ref must get a 1/10 today absolutely shocking
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:54 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

agree we deserved that, the lino our side & ref must get a 1/10 today absolutely shocking

Shame the video doesn't show the foul. Perhaps another angle will clarify, but certainly we deserved a break if that's what it was.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:54 pm

wink68 wrote:Maybe I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, but waiting till the 90th minute to play two up front and creating two clear cut chances, the 2nd resulting in the winner does not disguise the fact that that was boring, negative, awful football. So scared of losing to 3rd from bottom we created bugger all. We've been making do without some of our best players for weeks, we finally get a full squad to pick from, put out the 11 that most of us would say is just about our best and then play such a negative formation. To have Oates running up and down marking their left winger for 70 minute hitting 50 yard balls forward to no one, then sticking him up front when he's knackered was criminal. And don't get me started on bringing 11 back for every set piece. If we do that next week away to a good side fair enough, but today against a pretty awful side nearly cost us 2pts. Adam Murray lost his job for being so negative. You have good attacking players Nigel, please give them an attacking attitude.

Performances have been lacking for weeks now despite the odd win. Got to hope that one.of these odd wins kick starts some sort of upturn in form and we go on a run. If we can stay around 6th/7th til Jan, I'd hope we make 3 signings in the first week of the tranny window and kick on from there. We're not done for, but we've certainly got work to do.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:57 pm

Well done Lucas and congratulations on your 100 th senior goal.. a rare achievement .
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:02 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
broomo wrote:

However....

FAO Martin. Calling fans a disgrace when swan was subbed is not fair. Swan has been busy, and going for a win taking striker off isn't a good look. It paid off this time, that is why there were boos.

FAo Dean... uncessary stick? Don't call out fans for giving akins stick. He's been awful and shoehorned in for weeks. We have been rewarded this week, but that doesn't excuse why he gets stick in the first place

Been a long time since I've been so pleased and so relieved for a player getting the winner.

Much needed.

Broomo, everyone is entitled to their opinion and boing is an acceptable way of showing displeasure. Akins due to his abject performances of late has not got to work to turn those boos around. Today has proved he can though he has awful amount of poor performances to atone for before people rise to applaud him coming on.

Nahh don't try and dress it up. If you boo your own players you are severely lacking in braincells. No matter how well or badly that player is doing, it's not on
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:08 pm

The penalty shout.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:23 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Tomwh wrote:
jpstags wrote:I've been a supporter for over 45+ years and never wavered. The abuse and bitching on here of Akins has annoyed me so much that I have recently stopped attending games and rarely post on here.

A bit much, no?

Footballers get criticised when they play poorly. Akins has played poorly, for a while. As always, a minority of idiots take it over the top (booing, etc).

This is a fans forum, criticism is part of discussions.

Theres a world of difference between supporting a team and hating a player. If you boo a player coming onto the pitch you’re not a fan however much you think you are

It's not going to make him play better either. I think this is absolutely the right place to criticise the manger, the players and team performance but at games then surely it makes no sense to boo your own player.

I think the team selection was bang on today, at last, though I would have played Oates in attack and Swan wide right I can understand why we set up as we did. However, the performance was not great, they were much better on the ball than we were, we resorted to long ball and never got a grip of midfield. The long goal kick out to Quinn is bizarre. The officials were truly shocking, it was a blatant penalty and red card and the changeover farce was so amateur, they didn't even have a board. It was clearly a terrible decision to allow our winner so things evened out I guess! Well done to Lucas, he's not had a great time here but never for a lack of trying, he deserved his luck. Hewitt my MOM again.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:32 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:36 pm

No way a pen , it looked offside in the first place and I think he fell over his own feet and in any event he had no right to be there after all he is a right winger.right? ....duh
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby five to three » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 pm

Was the substitute linesman Mr Bean?
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:42 pm

Let’s hope this result is the catalyst for a good run of results and performances.

We weren’t at it again today and the stoppage time winner and abysmal performance of the officials shouldn’t hide that.

I thought our passing was both slow and inaccurate, so many balls were either not crisp, over hit or behind their target, meaning any momentum we had was lost.

The relief of seeing Oates back on the team sheet was soon countered by seeing him played wide right of a front three. Our best striker is back and we don’t play him as a striker. I also don’t think it suits Quinn to be that advanced on the left.

There were good performances, Hewitt was excellent and is becoming Mr Dependable, Hawkins did well (especially after being booked) and Harbottle had a good game.

Maris was the best of the midfield (as is usually the case), Boateng seemed to be playing hide and seek he was that anonymous for large spells and Lapslie was on the edge of the game but he was moved from pillar to post again from in a midfield three to in behind the striker or strikers and finally right wingback.

Will Swan continues to impress, if there’s any chance of getting him on a permanent it would be a great bit of business. Akins seemed to be really fired up when he came on and he was excellent, thankfully his head didn’t drop when the keeper saved the one on one and he got on the end of a great cross to win us the game.

We found a way to win against a very poor Colchester side, next Saturday we will need to be much improved to stand any chance of coming away with something from Stevenage.
Last edited by Showaddywaddy on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:44 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Well done Lucas and congratulations on your 100 th senior goal.. a rare achievement .
Good post. I second that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:59 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
broomo wrote:

However....

Much needed.

Nahh don't try and dress it up. If you boo your own players you are severely lacking in braincells. No matter how well or badly that player is doing, it's not on

I don't think the crowd were booing the player , I think they were booing the Manager's decision, of taking Swan off and bringing Akins on
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby NEStag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:02 pm

In the post match interview Clough says he took Swan off because he had a sore ankle. He said he wouldn’t have changed it otherwise.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:04 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:16 pm

It is NOT acceptable to boo your own players and does anyone think it does any good.

It’s destructive
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:23 pm

Much needed 3 points, Oates starting up front changes the side completely.

Colchester looked dangerous going forward, I like the look of their 2 forwards, 19 & 23, very dangerous when running at us.

I thought our defence was a bit shakey at times and thought the midfield was non existent in periods.

Re Akins, so glad he got the winner. Disgusting our fans should boo him coming on the pitch, no player goes out to play a bad game. I think he celebrated in the corner away from the fans on purpose.

Massive test at Stevenage next week.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:30 pm

yorkstag wrote:It is NOT acceptable to boo your own players and does anyone think it does any good.

It’s destructive

Think it was aimed at aNC
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:04 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
yorkstag wrote:It is NOT acceptable to boo your own players and does anyone think it does any good.

It’s destructive

Think it was aimed at aNC

I’m not sure that’s any better. Particularly in hindsight as the change won the match.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum