{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby Costastag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:17 am

I watched it till half time then gave up on it regarding whos treble was the best you all seem to be conveniently forgetting celtics treble in 1967 ,when scottish football was competitive all homegrown players beating the then mighty italians of milan now that was an achievement and im from the rangers side tin hat time
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:56 am

My own opinion Costa, obvs. But I reckon this City team would smash that Celtic team and all of the great Liverpool teams of the seventies and eighties into the bleachers of next year ;)
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:07 am

DoomMerchant wrote:My own opinion Costa, obvs. But I reckon this City team would smash that Celtic team and all of the great Liverpool teams of the seventies and eighties into the bleachers of next year ;)

If they played by todays touch you and it’s a foul rules they probably would. However if they played by fair contact and stop throwing yourself to the ground rules, I doubt they would get anywhere near.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:36 pm

scotsstag wrote:Well done City that's the treble, always good to see an English team do well in Europe...

It's a fairy tale! :lol:

I thought Inter Milan deserved a draw and extra time. They were a bit unlucky not to score.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:43 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:My own opinion Costa, obvs. But I reckon this City team would smash that Celtic team and all of the great Liverpool teams of the seventies and eighties into the bleachers of next year ;)

Come on be real the liverpool of the 70s would have played them off the park or they would have just put the likes of grealish and haaland out of the game i cant even imagine grealish being able to look at souness without being terrified
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby zod » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:08 am

ST4GS wrote:If proven I agree but their treble on the pitch is the real deal as they qualified for the Champions league as actual Champions unlike United 1999 who should not have been competing. Anyone else struggling with the definition of the word Champions?

It's already been proven that they have cheated, they just didn't get punished.
So you can't enter the Champions League for finishing top four now?
Best have a word with UEFA.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:18 am

Teams of the 60s and 70s would not be beating this Man City team. Take off the rose tinted specs, it's not even close.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:55 am

HitchcocksShins wrote:Teams of the 60s and 70s would not be beating this Man City team. Take off the rose tinted specs, it's not even close.

Fitness of players nowadays is massively better for one.
No fags and a slice of orange at half-time.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sharp » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:33 pm

Comparing era's is fairly pointless. As has been pointed out players are fitter and more professional now, wouldn't get kicked anywhere near as much, and all play on bowling green surfaces, but if they played 30 years ago they wouldn't be. Likewise if the players on 30 years ago played today they would have to be fitter etc, and that's before you start thinking about rule changes such as the back pass law which fundamentally changed the game.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Costastag » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:52 pm

zod wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:Teams of the 60s and 70s would not be beating this Man City team. Take off the rose tinted specs, it's not even close.

Fitness of players nowadays is massively better for one.
No fags and a slice of orange at half-time.

Well to say the players of the seventies and eighties were not fit is a bit of a generalisation look at souness not sure how old he is but hes doing a cross channel swim plus they had to play on quagmires its a bit like some think there was no football before the sky premiere league bullshine started
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:56 pm

And don't forget the balls they played with too, they were like medicine balls especially when they were wet!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:57 pm

Costastag wrote:Well to say the players of the seventies and eighties were not fit is a bit of a generalisation look at souness not sure how old he is but hes doing a cross channel swim plus they had to play on quagmires its a bit like some think there was no football before the sky premiere league bullshine started

I'm not saying Souness isn't fit, but players didn't have tailored diets or the science behind their training back then.
I'm pretty sure Kyle Walker hasn't been collected from the Park Hall Tavern after having five pints before a game.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:15 pm

It’s very difficult comparing different eras, however there is a player that breaks that mould. Stanley Matthews. He was seriously fast and incredibly fit for a player over 6 decades ago. Trained and eat meticulously and had a purge day…unheard of. It’s probably why he could easily play up to the age of 50, whilst the other players drank a lot. When I say quick, there’s footage of him in the FA Cup final and you’d think they’d super imposed Giggs on there and I’m sure he was mid 30s then :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:09 pm

Not sure this is necessarily the right thread, but had an hour long chat with Gab Sutton discussing Stags ahead of the new season if anyone is interested.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:23 am

Quite an interesting and informative watch. Thanks for that Mussy a balanced viewpoint with well argued reasoning.

I think the only option we may have that wasn’t mentioned is the role McLaughlin may play when he returns. I can see him sharing game time with Quinn and operating in a more forward position. He has a good eye for goal and playing him forward of the new left back could be very productive. That would also manage the minutes Quinn has to play meaning we also get the best out of him.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:31 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Quite an interesting and informative watch. Thanks for that Mussy a balanced viewpoint with well argued reasoning.

I think the only option we may have that wasn’t mentioned is the role McLaughlin may play when he returns. I can see him sharing game time with Quinn and operating in a more forward position. He has a good eye for goal and playing him forward of the new left back could be very productive. That would also manage the minutes Quinn has to play meaning we also get the best out of him.

Personally I think Clough sees Boateng as the alternative to Quinn in that role though.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:35 am

stagmanrob wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Quite an interesting and informative watch. Thanks for that Mussy a balanced viewpoint with well argued reasoning.

Personally I think Clough sees Boateng as the alternative to Quinn in that role though.

Yes I think he did whilst McLaughlin was injured but I think he will put a natural left footed player there when he has the chance.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:45 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:

Yes I think he did whilst McLaughlin was injured but I think he will put a natural left footed player there when he has the chance.

Boateng is naturally left footed but I think McLaughlin will be an emergency option there.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Costastag » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:46 pm

Boom
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:39 pm

Boateng is slower than my Mam I’d have let him find another club , we need pace in that midfield and if Hartigan returns and played we’d get over run ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:52 pm

I'm sorry if I have missed something but what have the last few posts got to do with this thread. I was hoping there was something about a Stag or ex Stag playing in one of tonight's internationals. Can the mods perhaps put a warning up to say the topic has changed :(
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Boateng is slower than my Mam I’d have let him find another club , we need pace in that midfield and if Hartigan returns and played we’d get over run ..

You wouldn't know football if it hit you in the face by one :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:24 pm

Thanks Sam enjoyed that :)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:09 pm

Tonight it's Chelsea Vs Luton at Stamford Bridge in the premier league.

Luton play us, not Chelsea.

It's sinking in. Jesus.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:23 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Tonight it's Chelsea Vs Luton at Stamford Bridge in the premier league.

Luton play us, not Chelsea.

It's sinking in. Jesus.

It's a remarkable achievement.

Now I hope they get battered 38 times this season.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum