{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:18 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:It’s not like they are coming as our main players.

They will add something to the group and if one of them comes good, then that’s a big bonus

I think we could have done with a CB coming in to be a shoe in for first choice personally to ensure that we have improved our back line.

I don’t know whether that will be expected of a young loanee or not?

Proof will be in the pudding, but with O’toole and Perch being another year older at age 33 and 36 (34 and 37 by the end of September), and Hawkins having his limitations at the back, it seems a risk for me for the new defender to be a young lad with little to no experience of mens football, let alone the rough and tumble of League Two. Hope it pays off
Last edited by BH_Stag on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:21 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

They will add something to the group and if one of them comes good, then that’s a big bonus

I think we could have done with a CB coming in to be a shoe in for first choice personally to ensure that we have improved our back line.

You're saying that like the window was closed last night.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:23 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

You're saying that like the window was closed last night.

I’m saying it after Clough saying that he wants a keeper, a striker, and 2 young loans, one of which is a defender.

Of course, things can change
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:31 pm

If we get Harbottle as the CB, he will be first choice I think. He’s highly rated and is the captain of Forest U23’s
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby S7AGS » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 pm

Dale Taylor?
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:13 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:We need quality, not unknown lads on loan.

Think it's about time Sedgwick and Broomo started to name a few names they were told.

Every young lad has to start somewhere. Let’s at least see then play first shall we?

Don't be silly Musings. This is stagsnet and players will be wrote off before they've even signed now :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:24 pm

gregmtfc wrote:If we get Harbottle as the CB, he will be first choice I think. He’s highly rated and is the captain of Forest U23’s

Just been told same thing by someone connected to Forest academy.

"A real leader , who will do a proper job for you.."

We are crying out for a pacey athletic CB to go with which other experienced pro NC goes for..

Will be a bit disappointed if its not him now... :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:32 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
gregmtfc wrote:If we get Harbottle as the CB, he will be first choice I think. He’s highly rated and is the captain of Forest U23’s

Just been told same thing by someone connected to Forest academy.

"A real leader , who will do a proper job for you.."

We are crying out for a pacey athletic CB to go with which other experienced pro NC goes for..

Will be a bit disappointed if its not him now... :D

Is he fast? Like you say we do need someone at the back who’s quick.

Has anyone seen him play?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm

umm thought we might have gone for cover at full back left side tbh, again give us a quick forward option NC
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:47 pm

Why is Harbottle so highly rated all of a sudden? He’s 22 soon and has made their bench in the league twice and only had a loan at Wealdstone. I’d have thought they would have wanted a decent loan move for him last season.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 pm

Stag95 wrote:Why is Harbottle so highly rated all of a sudden? He’s 22 soon and has made their bench in the league twice and only had a loan at Wealdstone. I’d have thought they would have wanted a decent loan move for him last season.

A late developer.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:16 pm

I get nervous about the quality of loanees that Forest have sent to us in recent years (Gamble, Smith, Grant, Shelvey).

In that time only Walker has been good, so a 20% strike rate in recent years isn't promising.

That said, Clough is a manager that we can trust, so if they are from Forest, then I'm sure they'll be far better than we've be used to.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stagsfan11 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:24 pm

Scothie the Stag wrote:I get nervous about the quality of loanees that Forest have sent to us in recent years (Gamble, Smith, Grant, Shelvey).

In that time only Walker has been good, so a 20% strike rate in recent years isn't promising.

That said, Clough is a manager that we can trust, so if they are from Forest, then I'm sure they'll be far better than we've be used to.

Didn’t we have Jack Blake too? :sick:
Stagsfan11
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:26 pm

If we take what Clough is saying at face value then the young loanee will be the only addition to the back line.

Do people think we’ll have added enough if that is the case? Or Improved enough? I really think we need cover at left back. If Macca get’s injured it means shoe horning Perch or Hewitt there and that takes them out of position. Will be imperative this new lad hits the ground running too. He’s a straight swap for Rawson who was 4th choice and he needs to be considerably better than him to improve us.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:28 pm

Bit gutting if we’re adding squad depth and not players that go straight into the first team. Hopefully the forward and GK we’re after are of a similar level to Boateng.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:45 pm

BH_Stag wrote:If we take what Clough is saying at face value then the young loanee will be the only addition to the back line.

Do people think we’ll have added enough if that is the case? Or Improved enough? I really think we need cover at left back. If Macca get’s injured it means shoe horning Perch or Hewitt there and that takes them out of position. Will be imperative this new lad hits the ground running too. He’s a straight swap for Rawson who was 4th choice and he needs to be considerably better than him to improve us.

Agreed. Whoever we sign at CB needs to be a good enough calibre centre back to be starting every week for a promotion side, ultimately. O’Toole and Perch are steady but I don’t think there’s better at this level and they’re turning 34 and 37 soon.

We need a centre back with some experience and football league pedigree who’s mobile!
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 pm

BH_Stag wrote:If we take what Clough is saying at face value then the young loanee will be the only addition to the back line.

Wallace can play left back, to a decent standard, so I'm told.

I'm not comfortable with loads of "indirect cover"
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 pm

Stagsfan11 wrote:
Scothie the Stag wrote:I get nervous about the quality of loanees that Forest have sent to us in recent years (Gamble, Smith, Grant, Shelvey).

Didn’t we have Jack Blake too? :sick:

I evidently completely blocked him out!

Fingers crossed this duo will be better!
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:22 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

Wallace can play left back, to a decent standard, so I'm told.

I'm not comfortable with loads of "indirect cover"

I was of that understanding too when he signed, but when Macca was injured he didn’t play their once so not sure he’s fancied there
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:28 pm

Alex Iacovitti was from Forest as well. Although he’s done well at the Scottish Staggies the past couple of years.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:31 pm

we need quality not loans, a quality permanent CB & forward to improve us from last season imo
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 pm

How about quality loans?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:52 pm

yorkstag wrote:How about quality loans?

permanent CB needed Yorkie lad in my opinion, one or two decent ones out there, & already been snapped up, one thing Clough has to do is improve us from last year, one decent midfielder in, i’ll give him that however four more to go to better us than last season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm

I see boateng as an improvement.
We're still massively short on goals and will concede a lot of we dont improve the defence.

We're mid table at the moment.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I see boateng as an improvement.
We're still massively short on goals and will concede a lot of we dont improve the defence.

We're mid table at the moment.

I agree. Certainly missing 3 players. A striker capable of 15 plus a season (we only have Oates), a pacey central defender( we have none) and a goalkeeper.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum