{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop street stand

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Bishop street stand

Postby trenty » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:41 pm

Not seen any videos from last nights forum so don’t know if this was addressed
I know that stand had issues with asbestos inthe chairman’s room under neath the stand but surely this would have been sorted when we had the stadium modernised
All I can find on the web is that the stand is closed for safety reasons can anybody enlighten me to the reason a newly built stand has had to close
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Bishop street stand

Postby yorkstag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:42 pm

Look on the forum thread
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby trenty » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:03 pm

I have and it doesn’t say why it’s closed
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bros » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:18 pm

The Bishop Street stand was there in the 1950swhen I first started going. It has had some tarting up over the years but it is basically the same. It was originally the only seated part of the ground so the directors sat there. I thought the safety issues were due to the fact that part of the roof blew off some years ago. Also the previous owner left an electric fire on, allegedly,as it is basically a wooden Stand
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:35 pm

Sharpe was very clear on it. Their main concern is that its more of any eyesore than need. Lord street and bishop street dont give much in the way of access so any work would have to be close season. I

deally we could knock all of them houses down, build and latch onto the Gym car park (my words on theirs). Vast amount of parking, scope for better club shop, hotel if thats still planned etc. Its a huge project and one that isnt cheap. Needs to be financially viable

Nigel said he would love home fans behind each goal, bet the SAG were fuming :D

If we go up the leagues there is stong possiblilty for improvement, be it safe standing or a mixture.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:35 pm

I appreciate the 'eyesore versus need' premise. However, it is disappointing to see that there still appears to be no actual plans.

The ongoing message is: "If we are promoted to league 1, then we will redevelop the Bishop St. stand". So what are the actual plans should that happen? What preparations are in already in place pending the appropriate trigger (i.e. promotion and subsequent close-season development)?

Just supposing we are promoted in the next 3 months ... Are we ready? What would happen? Have we decided what type of stand we would have? Have we got the architect's drawings? Has it been costed? Have we got the planning permission? Have we sourced any potential contractors that could fit in with the timescales? etc.

We appear to be no nearer to developing the Bishop street stand than we were 20 years ago (when we did actually have some plans that were shelved).

The sooner we get to League 1 the better! ... and maybe, just maybe ... ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:38 pm

Bros wrote:The Bishop Street stand was there in the 1950swhen I first started going. It has had some tarting up over the years but it is basically the same. It was originally the only seated part of the ground so the directors sat there. I thought the safety issues were due to the fact that part of the roof blew off some years ago. Also the previous owner left an electric fire on, allegedly,as it is basically a wooden Stand

What a wonderful tale
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:45 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Sharpe was very clear on it. Their main concern is that its more of any eyesore than need. Lord street and bishop street dont give much in the way of access so any work would have to be close season. I

deally we could knock all of them houses down, build and latch onto the Gym car park (my words on theirs). Vast amount of parking, scope for better club shop, hotel if thats still planned etc. Its a huge project and one that isnt cheap. Needs to be financially viable

If we go up the leagues there is stong possiblilty for improvement, be it safe standing or a mixture.

I don't think we can rely on those houses being knocked down any time soon. (They were saying/hoping for that 20 years ago!)
Unfortunately, I think we will probably need to work with the land/space we have - and build the stand as steep as possible to accommodate about 6-7 rows of seats.
Also, try to build the roof as high as possible to block out the ugly houses behind and give a better feel to the stadium (even if the stand isn't that deep).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:55 pm

Vice President wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Sharpe was very clear on it. Their main concern is that its more of any eyesore than need. Lord street and bishop street dont give much in the way of access so any work would have to be close season. I

I don't think we can rely on those houses being knocked down any time soon. (They were saying/hoping for that 20 years ago!)
Unfortunately, I think we will probably need to work with the land/space we have - and build the stand as steep as possible to accommodate about 6-7 rows of seats.
Also, try to build the roof as high as possible to block out the ugly houses behind and give a better feel to the stadium (even if the stand isn't that deep).

You could then have the issue that Forest had when they were developing the bridgford end. The corner between that end and the main stand had to be built smaller due to local residents complaining that the new stand would block off light to their houses / gardens.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:10 pm

The old stand had 10-12 rows of seats IIRC. If a new stand were built along the same spec, but extended the rest of the way along that side toward the QLE. That would add about 1,000 seats to the capacity, without expanding the footprint towards the houses or raising the roofline.

Expanding towards the scoreboard is a non starter as the boundry of the ground cuts the corner there. The area could accomodate a food kiosk though.

It would be tight but doable & would make the ground look a million times better.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:42 pm

Putting capacity and need aside it makes the whole ground substandard . Watching the curry eaters v West Ham 2 weeks ago it just had the feel of a better ground as have many others below us . How many league clubs have only had 3 stands for years ? Oxford , but there's is half the width behind the goal. It won't determine promotion but it will cost the club money if we achieve it. Looks a real mess no matter how many advertising boards we cover it up with .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:10 pm

Sneag wrote:The old stand had 10-12 rows of seats IIRC. If a new stand were built along the same spec, but extended the rest of the way along that side toward the QLE. That would add about 1,000 seats to the capacity, without expanding the footprint towards the houses or raising the roofline.

Expanding towards the scoreboard is a non starter as the boundry of the ground cuts the corner there. The area could accomodate a food kiosk though.

It would be tight but doable & would make the ground look a million times better.

Exactly Sneag. The footprint is big enough and it’s surprising what you would fit onto it. When you look from above via google earth or whatever it looks like only a couple of houses on bishop st and maybe 4 on Lord st would suffice to make it possible.
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:14 pm

Completely different scale and cost and design but... imagine a Bishop Street stand that connected to its taller siblings like at the Aviva stadium.

(Thinking of the comment of tall roof)
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:22 pm

Sneag wrote:The old stand had 10-12 rows of seats IIRC. If a new stand were built along the same spec, but extended the rest of the way along that side toward the QLE. That would add about 1,000 seats to the capacity, without expanding the footprint towards the houses or raising the roofline.

Expanding towards the scoreboard is a non starter as the boundry of the ground cuts the corner there. The area could accommodate a food kiosk though.

Yes, I agree. I think the same problem also exists towards the Quarry Lane end. Both ends appear to taper-in quite sharply, compared with the central part. Which is probably why the existing stand of 10-12 rows is the current short length.
To build a stand containing 5-10 rows across the whole length of the pitch, they would need to move the pitch over a bit towards the West stand. When all the health & safety regs are factored in we'd probably be lucky to get as many as 10 rows. It might end up being nearer to 6/7 rows?
It would still make a massive difference to the stadium though.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:27 pm

Mentioned this in the other thread.

Accrington built a tidy 1,100 seater, 37 weeks for £1.6m I think. 7 rows deep.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:27 pm

Cockney Stag wrote:Image

Completely different scale and cost and design but... imagine a Bishop Street stand that connected to its taller siblings like at the Aviva stadium.

(Thinking of the comment of tall roof)

The Aviva stadium - A shining example of a tall roof! :D
I think Orient's stand (and few others) have just a few rows of seats, but a tall back & roof, giving the impression of a much bigger stand.
However, someone raised a good point about a high roof blocking residents light. - That probably hampers the Aviva option. :)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:28 pm

Aviva is translucent, even better!

Dartford have a similar high roof.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:30 pm

There was also room at the front of the stand, we used to stand there in my younger days. You could also move the pitch towards the West, lose the first few rows by the dugouts so they were part of the West Stand as they are at loads of other grounds - this would be a bit of an issue with the state of the pitch though. I think you could then do as you suggest and could get 12 rows. By the way, I'm pretty certain the old stand went from Row A-J, 10 rows but then they blocked off some of the back rows so it only had 6 rows just before it closed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:34 pm

Cockney Stag wrote:Image

Mentioned this in the other thread.

Accrington built a tidy 1,100 seater, 37 weeks for £1.6m I think. 7 rows deep.

I think this is exactly the sort of stand we should be going for.

Could we get the council to contribute towards it? (I'm sure that some Councils have helped other football clubs in that regard before).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:36 pm

I wonder if they could apply for part of the "regeneration" or "levelling up" fund, or whatever its called.

If Chesterfield can justify the council stepping in, surely we can too?
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:04 pm

Someone put a picture of the Kidderminster stand on here or the face tube site and that looked impressive. You could see the actual footprint from front to back better and it didn’t look that big to be fair. Hope someone better than me could retrieve said picture and post it on here
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:17 pm

Tess Tickle wrote:Someone put a picture of the Kidderminster stand on here or the face tube site and that looked impressive. You could see the actual footprint from front to back better and it didn’t look that big to be fair. Hope someone better than me could retrieve said picture and post it on here

Was this it :)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:03 pm

I don't think there's even space for that. What we need is a safe-standing terrace running the length of the pitch with as many rows as possible.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:14 pm

If the houses and access to the stand through Bishop and Lord Street is the problem then why not close the whole back part of it off, brick it up and then create an access point to any new stand through the toilet corner of the North Stand. That way you could then move the Gabbitas Gate to that corner and make the segregation point at that corner, rather than the corner it is at the moment. That way then you could give North Stand to the home fans, and SAG would be happy because away fans are still segregated and directed through the area where they currently are,and still funnelled off over the retail park/train station.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:39 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Tess Tickle wrote:Someone put a picture of the Kidderminster stand on here or the face tube site and that looked impressive. You could see the actual footprint from front to back better and it didn’t look that big to be fair. Hope someone better than me could retrieve said picture and post it on here

Was this it :)

That’s the one. Small footprint if you look at the steward and get a scale from that. Obviously taper in both sides at the north and quarry lane but it’s a possibility. Access from both sides to cater for both home and big away followings
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum