{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kieran Wallace signed from Burton on a free transfer

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kieran Wallace signed from Burton on a free transfer

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:23 pm

If he's fit. He's a really excellent fit for our needs.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:25 pm

Cockney Stag wrote:If he's fit. He's a really excellent fit for our needs.

Not sure about this one but if Nigel is then ok?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:27 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Cockney Stag wrote:If he's fit. He's a really excellent fit for our needs.

Not sure about this one but if Nigel is then ok?

Depth at LB. Experience at CB and DM. All in League 1. Only 27.

Like I say, if fit, good signing.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:34 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Seems a risk to lose Charsley for someone coming back from a serious injury, seems a strange one at best even if Charsleys contract was up in the summer
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with any signing from a higher level and look forward to some success finally etc etc etc but it's odd that Nigel's super scout, talent finding brother can only superly scout and talent find people he's previously superly scouted and talent found.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:47 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with any signing from a higher level and look forward to some success finally etc etc etc but it's odd that Nigel's super scout, talent finding brother can only superly scout and talent find people he's previously superly scouted and talent found.

Bishop, Hewitt, Hawkins, Johnson and Oates didn't play for Burton ;)

It's not that odd signing players they know from their former club. Every manager will do it at some point in their career. We all laughed at Lincoln being our B team one time, now they're in a league higher than us and have been for a few seasons. Wouldn't mind a bit of that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:53 pm

I don't care where they come from. If they're good enough then all the better.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:55 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Seems a risk to lose Charsley for someone coming back from a serious injury, seems a strange one at best even if Charsleys contract was up in the summer

But he won't be a direct replacement
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:02 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with any signing from a higher level and look forward to some success finally etc etc etc but it's odd that Nigel's super scout, talent finding brother can only superly scout and talent find people he's previously superly scouted and talent found.

with them being a level above and the players were signing having played a good amount of games at that level its makes sense if they don't want them...Sign trust worthy players you know that you can count on. Its not a lack of scouting, its being sensible.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

It's not that odd signing players they know from their former club. Every manager will do it at some point in their career. We all laughed at Lincoln being our B team one time, now they're in a league higher than us and have been for a few seasons. Wouldn't mind a bit of that

Or Stirk, Forresster, Shelvey, Burke

Good to sign a few players you know and can trust but he will sign more players he hasn't worked with before than has.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:06 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Or Stirk, Forresster, Shelvey, Burke

Good to sign a few players you know and can trust but he will sign more players he hasn't worked with before than has.

I knew I'd forget some.

Nigel will know their strengths and weakness', what their personalities will be like in the dressing room etc.

We've also just equaled our club record of wins in the league so no qualms from me. We seem to be a much better run club since Sharpey has come in
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:21 pm

Wallace back in the frame a good solid honest player who has the managers trust to do a job, certainly come in on a short term deal to cover the left full back and midfield.
Certainly fitness will determine if he gets a longer contract, welcome Kieran and good luck
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:24 pm

What are your characteristics as a footballer?

''I like to keep it simple''

in all fairness, good luck to the lad, he has got to be better then Burke.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:25 pm

I think that this comes down to Nigel Clough's dislike of the January window and so the club has been conservative in its recruitment in going for known risks with a range of contract lengths given.
His summer signings show the real strength of Simon Clough - just look at Hewitt who looked a disastrous signing after 6 games and Oates who, once he had settled, has looked a brilliant signing. Hawkins was laughed at by Ipswich supporting friends who said he was a liability. The loan signings of Bishop and Stirk have been massive wins
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:54 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:

I think that this comes down to Nigel Clough's dislike of the January window and so the club has been conservative in its recruitment in going for known risks with a range of contract lengths given.
His summer signings show the real strength of Simon Clough - just look at Hewitt who looked a disastrous signing after 6 games and Oates who, once he had settled, has looked a brilliant signing. Hawkins was laughed at by Ipswich supporting friends who said he was a liability. The loan signings of Bishop and Stirk have been massive wins

Do you think there will be another signing GFB? Also are you related to BFG?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:07 pm

Kieran welcome to MTFC :)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:30 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

I think everything is done now until the summer and I now excited by the calibre of player we are attracting.

Not related to the BFG but I do have big ears :lol:
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:51 pm

A good addition to the squad . Sounds like a local lad . Good luck Kieran
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:02 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

I think everything is done now until the summer and I now excited by the calibre of player we are attracting.

and a massive sheepskin :lol:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby essexstags » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:17 pm

Totally agree, great post that. The quality of the scouting is the signings that aren't known to their past and the majority of the summer signings have worked out well. Recruiting people you have worked with before and that you know are capable of doing a job is not just a football industry trait for managers. If you get a CV of someone you know can do a job and have worked with them then why would you not take them over an unknown.
Scored in front of the North Stand in April 1993. I was a Mascot but they all count.
essexstags
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:01 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

and a massive sheepskin :lol:

That Sir, is the coat of champions :lol:
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:13 am

Mixed feelings about this one.

If he stays fit then he should be a real asset to us, especially with his versatility. I am worried about his ability to stay fit though

That’s said, it’s a short term deal and feels low risk as a result
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:04 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

No mention of his pool playing prowess in there. Thought Stevo would've asked him, but maybe didn't want to destroy his confidence on day one. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:03 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:Mixed feelings about this one.

If he stays fit then he should be a real asset to us, especially with his versatility. I am worried about his ability to stay fit though

That’s said, it’s a short term deal and feels low risk as a result

I agree KKT, for me it shows how the club has changed with the O'Toole deals and then this short term deal.
If he has had an ACL the knee will still be puffing up but the medical doesn't appear to have identified weaknesses in the structure of the knee. He just has to prove the knee hasn't diminished him as a player. Looking at his playing history, he doesn't seem to convince managers to keep him so there is obviously something our lot like about him
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum