{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our Manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Our Manager

Postby Ridge » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:27 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I’ve been unimpressed by two transfer windows in regards to getting defenders in. I’m bemused by O’Keefe wasn’t given a chance and I would really like to know why. I’m disappointed at our ability to respond to defeats. That’s a management failing.

Stagsnet's biggest throbbers...

1. Bellwhiff
2. Norman
Ridge
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:28 pm

That disgusting, disappointing, and any other adjective, fourth placed finish, begins to look better, season by season, year by year.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:31 pm

i’m honestly astonished at some. like really, you’re questioning nigel clough. like honestly?

are you that raspberry? i men’s nigel clough.

Still questioning this? (really?) go find dempster? yeah? we there yet?

i mean wow
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:35 pm

adamstag wrote:i’m honestly astonished at some. like really, you’re questioning nigel clough. like honestly?

i mean wow

I can't work out tonight whether you're being sarcastic or absolutely bladdered.
The latter I think as your posts aren't really coherent
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
adamstag wrote:i’m honestly astonished at some. like really, you’re questioning nigel clough. like honestly?

i mean wow

I can't work out tonight whether you're being sarcastic or absolutely bladdered.

Nice attempt at a put down kid.

Honestly though, we’ve so many experts on here quick to think they understand how a manager works when we’ve got probably the best manage we’ve had in several decades.

I trust in your “bladdered state” you’re coherent enough to understand the above
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 pm

adamstag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

i mean wow

Honestly though, we’ve so many experts on here quick to think they understand how a manager works when we’ve got probably the best manage we’ve had in several decades.

I trust in your “bladdered state” you’re coherent enough to understand the above

I don't drink "kid".

Let's hope he is what we thought he is but we are allowed to question him sometimes aren't we?
He really hasn't addressed the defence and doesn't like he has again with a full summer to do it?
He didn't see that Bradford were running riot down our exposed right even though the whole ground could see it, why?

I think they are two very pertinent questions.
Can you read that through bladdered eyes our kid?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:09 pm

adamstag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

i mean wow

What makes him the 'best manager weve had in several decades' your making him out be bloody fergie or summat :lol:
Fact is that here at mansfield he is sinking fast and seemingly does not have a clue how to get back above the water! Reputation counts for nothing when your struggling in league 2.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:45 pm

diablo wrote:Just seen the Clough post match interview...he thought we played well...really ???...and according to him we still have problems in the centre of defence....well that's pretty obvious but no excuses NG the central defence today were your chosen men..ok maybe not what you hoped for, but hey I've got news for you Maguire and Stones aren't available for Mansfield Town FC. ..but Menayese and O'Keefe were...you never really gave them a chance did you?...and yet they appear to be doing quite well on their loans at other Clubs...and saying you can't wait the get Perch back in the team..words fail me, you are obviously very good at spending someone else's money...as JR said we have the largest squad in League one and two and have now lost 4 games on the trot , Todays performance was abysmal as were your comments .....and can you please sign players who were NOT involved with you at Burton as there are other clubs out there with equally as good or even better than ex Burton Albion players

Maybe he should’ve gone to Specsavers (or any other local opticians!) :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:18 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

i mean wow

What makes him the 'best manager weve had in several decades' your making him out be bloody fergie or summat :lol:
Fact is that here at mansfield he is sinking fast and seemingly does not have a clue how to get back above the water! Reputation counts for nothing when your struggling in league 2.
Yep he hasn't a clue. Let's get the million pound manager in. I'm surprised you havn't suggested that yet. Oh wait a minute.............. :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:43 am

We need a bit of perspective here.

Anyone seriously doubting Clough long term needs to step back and take a deep breath.

Yes yesterday was painful but is also the only game we’ve not deserved at least a point.

The side is in transition with the emphasis being placed on younger, less experienced players with a view to longer term more sustainable success, whilst at the same time making money from developing players.

Clough knows what he wants to see in a player and has the opportunity to watch them in training as well as their time in matches. He is best placed to make the judgement and is not frightened to do so.

We must realise that a poor performance sometimes teaches a player more than a game when they coast and hopefully they learn from it. We have all watched those same players perform to much higher standards and must be optimistic they will do so again.

When I first saw the fixture list, I thought the first ten games looked difficult and nothing has changed in that respect. The only difference is the level of expectation of the fans so maybe we should just re-assess and remember how difficult that start was going to be.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BilsthorpeStag » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:59 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:We need a bit of perspective here.

Anyone seriously doubting Clough long term needs to step back and take a deep breath.

Yes yesterday was painful but is also the only game we’ve not deserved at least a point.

The side is in transition with the emphasis being placed on younger, less experienced players with a view to longer term more sustainable success, whilst at the same time making money from developing players.

Clough knows what he wants to see in a player and has the opportunity to watch them in training as well as their time in matches. He is best placed to make the judgement and is not frightened to do so.

We must realise that a poor performance sometimes teaches a player more than a game when they coast and hopefully they learn from it. We have all watched those same players perform to much higher standards and must be optimistic they will do so again.

When I first saw the fixture list, I thought the first ten games looked difficult and nothing has changed in that respect. The only difference is the level of expectation of the fans so maybe we should just re-assess and remember how difficult that start was going to be.

Say no more, Sandy sums it up perfectly.
BilsthorpeStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chacawab » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:We need a bit of perspective here.

What a great post! Just the sort of perspective we need to adopt. This is probably why a good majority clapped off the nine men and manager yesterday.
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:47 am

I am still think we have the best man for the job, but he does have to come in for criticism too.

He had all summer to bring in centre halves all summer, but leaves it to last minute, I know it was helped with the Naylor situation, but there other players out there. Just hope these young centre halves can step up to the plate, because if not we will be in for a long season.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 am

marker_mtfc95 wrote:I am still think we have the best man for the job, but he does have to come in for criticism too.

He had all summer to bring in centre halves all summer, but leaves it to last minute, I know it was helped with the Naylor situation, but there other players out there. Just hope these young centre halves can step up to the plate, because if not we will be in for a long season.

?
Hewitt looks lightweight and incapable of handling L2 centre forwards etc.

As a team we lacked bite and tenacity, too many "get a foot in" leg dangling challenges. Oh and where did Oates disappear to after scoring?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:17 am

I’ve said this before on here that I rate NC a lot and think he is a good manager, there are just a few things that frustrate me with him though.

1) he is reactive and not proactive in his subs, he literally stands there with the sub sheet in his hand for 20 mins before making a sub, even when it seems pretty clear that something is going wrong or isn’t working.
2) for me it’s been clear that he has been shoehorning his players in the team.
3) stubbornness in the transfer windows.

As I say I’m not trying to be negative but at the same time if this was JD or GC I would be saying the same thing, I’m not just not going to say it because of Clough reputation.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:19 am

oldweststander wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:I am still think we have the best man for the job, but he does have to come in for criticism too.

?

As a team we lacked bite and tenacity, too many "get a foot in" leg dangling challenges. Oh and where did Oates disappear to after scoring?

You're really gonna go after Oates? I could understand if he kept missing chances but he didn't do that much wrong for me yesterday.

If you're going to call out players, I'd be looking at Quinn, Maris, Hewitt.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:21 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

?

You're really gonna go after Oates? I could understand if he kept missing chances but he didn't do that much wrong for me yesterday.

If you're going to call out players, I'd be looking at Quinn, Maris, Hewitt.

Would add Clarke to that list to.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:29 am

In respect of the lack of signing a commanding centre half. Just think back to the end of last season and how Rawson had improved.

When the Naylor deal fell through, Clough was entitled to believe that improvement would continue so with Rawson, Perch and Hewitt we should have been reasonably covered in that position. It wasn’t imperative that we brought players of a similar standard in.

Who could have predicted that Rawson would suddenly decline to make headers?

Yes it’s very disappointing we didn’t get our two new targets but that’s football. We have two promising replacements and anyone expecting a standout display from the new lad yesterday must be very optimistic as he’s barely played recently. Give him a chance to get up to speed and settle in.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:38 am

Ridge wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I’ve been unimpressed by two transfer windows in regards to getting defenders in. I’m bemused by O’Keefe wasn’t given a chance and I would really like to know why. I’m disappointed at our ability to respond to defeats. That’s a management failing.

Stagsnet's biggest throbbers...

Thanks for that insightful input. You do know that your opinion of me is utterly irrelevant don’t you.

I’ve got a legitimate question about the transfer policy. I think Clough is a great positive for the club but that doesn’t mean that we can’t criticise or question things. Maybe lighten up a bit. The transfer dealings in the last two windows aren’t great so it is only fair to ask the questions. It’s a debate, sweetcheeks. People are allowed to disagree and discuss things.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:43 am

i know this just doesn’t happen, however i agree with Gripper here, his buys are poor
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:10 am

We have hit rock bottom losing 3 on the trot, this is a time for patience and reality, we are only 2 points of the play offs, with 40 games to go, most clubs have a run of bad results.
The good news expectation levels are now more realistic, after dropping 7 places after losing shows how tight the league is while most clubs are finding there feet.
Negative Nellies can be triggered by a troll, looking for someone to blame when results go against us,
6 games into a season is a good time to shake a squad up, not the last 6 games when it is squeaky bum time,
At a time when patience is called for, A troll appears, someone who is inflammatory- insincere- intent to provoke Negative Nellies to have a emotional response by manipulating their disappointment
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:11 am

bear 73 wrote:We have hit rock bottom losing 3 on the trot, this is a time for patience and reality, we are only 2 points of the play offs, with 40 games to go, most clubs have a run of bad results.
The good news expectation levels are now more realistic, after dropping 7 places after losing shows how tight the league is while most clubs are finding there feet.
Negative Nellies can be triggered by a troll, looking for someone to blame when results go against us,
6 games into a season is a good time to shake a squad up, not the last 6 games when it is squeaky bum time,
At a time when patience is called for, A troll appears, someone who is inflammatory- insincere- intent to provoke Negative Nellies to have a emotional response by manipulating their disappointment

Who are you talking about ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:We have hit rock bottom losing 3 on the trot, this is a time for patience and reality, we are only 2 points of the play offs, with 40 games to go, most clubs have a run of bad results.

Who are you talking about ?[/qull
All the negative posters who are falling for a disappointing 3 game run to be the down fall of our season,, when clearly it is a over reaction
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 pm

For me it is a long season , new boys will Gell especially when Perch is training full on. Reason is a good player however since he got knocked unconscious he seems to have lost an edge.
All teams in this league will hit key player injuries and lose like we have. Let’s hope we got ours out the way early
:coys:
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby StagInHucknall » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:46 pm

diablo wrote:Just seen the Clough post match interview...he thought we played well...really ???...and according to him we still have problems in the centre of defence....well that's pretty obvious but no excuses NG the central defence today were your chosen men..ok maybe not what you hoped for, but hey I've got news for you Maguire and Stones aren't available for Mansfield Town FC. ..but Menayese and O'Keefe were...you never really gave them a chance did you?...and yet they appear to be doing quite well on their loans at other Clubs...and saying you can't wait the get Perch back in the team..words fail me, you are obviously very good at spending someone else's money...as JR said we have the largest squad in League one and two and have now lost 4 games on the trot , Todays performance was abysmal as were your comments .....and can you please sign players who were NOT involved with you at Burton as there are other clubs out there with equally as good or even better than ex Burton Albion players

I really hate football fans sometimes…
StagInHucknall
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum