{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Euro 2020 - Tonight’s game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Euro 2020 - Tonight’s game

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:36 am

Great question.

I’d go for France. Platini as a kid, Zidane and Henry as a teen / young adult and mbappe etc now. Some great players. Some else said earlier that the national anthem is a banger and I agree.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:26 am

northern stag wrote:I thought Wilson’s foul was a deliberate cynical hack down of a player who was getting away from him, I’m not a ref so is that a red card ??

No it isn't. The laws are quite clear, that was a cynical trip and almost all referees would have awarded a yellow card. You see those sort of fouls all the time and they are always dealt with by a yellow card What would have made it a red was for it to have been reckless, denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, out of control, high or using excessive force, it was none of those.

Some would argue that it was so cynical it deserved a red, but that's not in the laws. Overall the refereeing has been good, Taylor had a good game last night and was not fooled by the diving and rolling around.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:31 pm

Rob wrote:
northern stag wrote:I thought Wilson’s foul was a deliberate cynical hack down of a player who was getting away from him, I’m not a ref so is that a red card ??

No it isn't. The laws are quite clear, that was a cynical trip and almost all referees would have awarded a yellow card. You see those sort of fouls all the time and they are always dealt with by a yellow card What would have made it a red was for it to have been reckless, denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, out of control, high or using excessive force, it was none of those.

Some would argue that it was so cynical it deserved a red, but that's not in the laws. Overall the refereeing has been good, Taylor had a good game last night and was not fooled by the diving and rolling around.

Fair enough, if that’s the law it should have been yellow, although as soon as it happened I thought it could be red. I think the Welsh were losing their rag and the ref was nipping it in the bud , incorrectly it seems
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Torrystag » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:27 am

Czech republic ,through after beating the dutch ,and belgium after beating portugal quite open half of the draw
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:49 am

Thought the Dutch were a bit unlucky have their guy sent off.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:25 am

Yes it looked harsh ,but the var deemed it to be a clear scoring opportunity ,didnt see belgium game but on the highlights i saw it looked as if portugal were a bit unlucky as well
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:32 am

part time pete wrote:Thought the Dutch were a bit unlucky have their guy sent off.

You’re joking ? That was a clear red. Deliberate hand ball denying a goal scoring opportunity.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:35 am

Pepe should have been sent off v Belgium last night.
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 am

bellwhiff wrote:
part time pete wrote:Thought the Dutch were a bit unlucky have their guy sent off.

You’re joking ? That was a clear red. Deliberate hand ball denying a goal scoring opportunity.

I agree, I too think it was a red but maybe Pete means he thinks he was fouled before he handled, which is certainly debatable.

As for Pepe, again much like Wilson, his challenge did not fit the criteria for a red card, even though he'd lost his head in true Pepe style and was clearly not playing the ball.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:01 am

Surely if a player deliberately kicks a running player from behind, he risks a serious injury to that player. The further away the player is the greater the risk and to do it deliberately with no chance of taking the ball seems at least reckless to the risk.

Isn’t that why the rules were changed in respect of tackling from behind becoming fouls? The ref on the field assesses his opinion on risk of injury at the time and makes his decision. Payers are either lucky and get away with it or unlucky and pay the price.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:36 am

Stag on the Beach wrote:Pepe should have been sent off v Belgium last night.

Pepe should be sent off just for being Pepe.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:07 pm

I am so nervous/Excited about tomorrows game you know, Its just a massive game in so many ways, its knockout so we cant afford a bad performance, its against the Germans who we know is always tough and if we can win it gives us a massive opportunity to go far in this tournament due to the side of the draw we are on.

Regarding team selection I am totally unsure as to what I would do and I don't envy Southgate, Does he played the team that played slightly better vs the Cech? Does he keep Saka in who was Man of the match, should he put Foden back in who as we know is world class but has been on the outskirts of both games hes started in? where does that leave Grealish? Shall we match there back 5 up and try and hit them on the counter with our pacey forwards? Do we try and out play them with Foden and Mount? soooooo many questions.

One thing I would say, I have hated the English press this week, every interview our young lads have faced they have been asked about previous bad experience against Germany in tournaments, annoying when most of them wasn't even born then, to me it just adds unnecessary pressure to them, we want them to play with freedom, not fear of losing to the Germans again.

They aren't anything special, Faz Rawson has more pace then their 3 Centre halves.

As I say, massive game.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:18 pm

lifestags wrote:I am so nervous/Excited about tomorrows game you know, Its just a massive game in so many ways, its knockout so we cant afford a bad performance, its against the Germans who we know is always tough and if we can win it gives us a massive opportunity to go far in this tournament due to the side of the draw we are on.

Regarding team selection I am totally unsure as to what I would do and I don't envy Southgate, Does he played the team that played slightly better vs the Cech? Does he keep Saka in who was Man of the match, should he put Foden back in who as we know is world class but has been on the outskirts of both games hes started in? where does that leave Grealish? Shall we match there back 5 up and try and hit them on the counter with our pacey forwards? Do we try and out play them with Foden and Mount? soooooo many questions.

One thing I would say, I have hated the English press this week, every interview our young lads have faced they have been asked about previous bad experience against Germany in tournaments, annoying when most of them wasn't even born then, to me it just adds unnecessary pressure to them, we want them to play with freedom, not fear of losing to the Germans again.

They aren't anything special, Faz Rawson has more pace then their 3 Centre halves.

As I say, massive game.

But unfortunately Kane is up against those CHs and he's the slowest forward I've seen in competition.
A big statement of him not afraid to make big decisions is to leave Kane and Rice out and go for the jugular with pace up top, he hasn't the gonads though.
It will be the usual back six with the FBs not venturing over half way, totally uninspiring as usual
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Big yella wrote:
Stag on the Beach wrote:Pepe should have been sent off v Belgium last night.

Pepe should be sent off just for being Pepe.

Yes he’s a massive two hat.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:08 pm

What are peoples thoughts on Emma Hayes comms? She’s getting stick on the Facebook group (shock horror) but I think she’s been pretty good.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:What are peoples thoughts on Emma Hayes comms? She’s getting stick on the Facebook group (shock horror) but I think she’s been pretty good.

Talks too much, but no more crap than any of the rest of the ITV co commentators.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:What are peoples thoughts on Emma Hayes comms? She’s getting stick on the Facebook group (shock horror) but I think she’s been pretty good.

Who is she ?
Was she the one on the Spain game? If so I admit I did wonder about box ticking exercises.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:36 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Who is she ?
Was she the one on the Spain game? If so I admit I did wonder about box ticking exercises.

She was yes. She is the manager of Chelsea ladies.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Who is she ?

She talked way too much for me. Like she was trying to justify being there...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:53 pm

Very good. She is qualified to the back teeth and has lots of experience at the top level of the women’s game.

Her knowledge shone through, albeit she is a bit monotone!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:13 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:

Very good. She is qualified to the back teeth and has lots of experience at the top level of the women’s game.

Her knowledge shone through, albeit she is a bit monotone!

Agree. Also agree her voice was a little grating but the content was good.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:49 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Who is she ?

She talked way too much for me. Like she was trying to justify being there...

Exactly. She rattled on. A couple of my Facebook friends have posted similar so we all can’t be wrong

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:54 pm

Crazy games today.

I'm sure England will put a stop to all this entertainment malarky tomorrow.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Has been brilliant entertainment today, and it’s not over yet!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:00 pm

bellwhiff wrote:A couple of my Facebook friends have posted similar so we all can’t be wrong

There were also loads on social media saying how great she was, so they can’t all be right either.

It depends what you like I suppose. I don’t mind a female voice, even a monotone one when the analysis is quality. Better than Lee Dixon every day of the week!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum