{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 pm

I have analysed the goals Mansfield have conceded this season as we have gone along and made a note of the defenders or goalkeeper who could have done better to prevent the goals. These are my results to date.

You expect centre halfs, full backs and keepers to be at the top as every goal conceded usually involves a defender not stopping a cross, shot or header; or the keeper not making a save.

Mal Benning has done better defensively this season.

Goals Conceded 2020-2021 (League Goals Only)
Farrend Rawson 16 (7 playing in a back 3 under GC)
Ryan Sweeney 11 (3 in a back 3 under GC)
Kellan Gordon 10
Marek Stech 10
Jordan Bowery 7
Stephen McLaughlin 7
James Perch 6
Mal Benning 5
Aidan Stone 4
Rollin Menayese 4 (4 in a back 3 under GC)
Harry Charsley 4
George Maris 4
Corey O'Keeffe 2
Ollie Clarke 2
George Lapslie 2

Goals Conceded 2019-2020 (League Only)
Ryan Sweeney 12
Matt Preston 12
Krystian Pearce 11
Mal Benning 11
CJ Hamilton 10
Kellan Gordon 9
Bobby Olejnik 8
Conor Shaughnessy 6
Neal Bishop 6
Conrad Logan 5
Hayden White 5
James Clarke 5
Neal Bishop 3
Otis Khan 3
Alex MacDonald 3
Alistair Smith 2
Danny Rose 2
Will Tomlinson 1
Joe Riley 1
Kelland Watts 1
Nicky Maynard 1
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:36 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I have analysed the goals Mansfield have conceded this season as we have gone along and made a note of the defenders or goalkeeper who could have done better to prevent the goals. These are my results to date.

You expect centre halfs, full backs and keepers to be at the top as every goal conceded usually involves a defender not stopping a cross, shot or header; or the keeper not making a save.

Mal Benning has done better defensively this season.

Goals Conceded 2020-2021 (League Goals Only)
Farrend Rawson 16 (7 playing in a back 3)
Ryan Sweeney 11 (3 in a back 3)
Kellan Gordon 10
Marek Stech 10
Jordan Bowery 7
Stephen McLaughlin 7
James Perch 6
Mal Benning 5
Aidan Stone 4
Rollin Menayese 4 (4 in a back 3)
Harry Charsley 4
George Maris 4
Corey O'Keeffe 2
Ollie Clarke 2
George Lapslie 2

Goals Conceded 2019-2020 (League Only)
Ryan Sweeney 12
Matt Preston 12
Krystian Pearce 11
Mal Benning 11
CJ Hamilton 10
Kellan Gordon 9
Bobby Olejnik 8
Conor Shaughnessy 6
Neal Bishop 6
Conrad Logan 5
Hayden White 5
James Clarke 5
Neal Bishop 3
Otis Khan 3
Alex MacDonald 3
Alistair Smith 2
Danny Rose 2
Will Tomlinson 1
Joe Riley 1
Kelland Watts 1
Nicky Maynard 1


bet ya glad covid is being lifted mate lol
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10863
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Beyond The Pale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Very good & very interesting.

I do wonder though, how often the opposition have benefited from a decent slice of fortune (Little deflections here & there) in shots taken & the build up to goals we've conceded this season. It does seem pretty, high, or maybe the ones that benefited Bolton (a very fortuitous last ten minutes for them) & Carlisle are still fresh in my memory.

It certainly doesn't seem to be even, despite the decent amount of chances we create.
Anti-intellect & marketing. Pretty-pretty. Who needs talent?
User avatar
Beyond The Pale
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 am
Location: Sherwood Forest.

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:47 pm

What standard are you basing ‘they could have done better on’ Tippy?

Is it just your opinion or is there something else to it?
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:51 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:What standard are you basing ‘they could have done better on’ Tippy?


It is based on my standard that we should never concede any goals so it is quite high :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Torrystag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:46 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I have analysed the goals Mansfield have conceded this season as we have gone along and made a note of the defenders or goalkeeper who could have done better to prevent the goals. These are my results to date.

You expect centre halfs, full backs and keepers to be at the top as every goal conceded usually involves a defender not stopping a cross, shot or header; or the keeper not making a save.

Mal Benning has done better defensively this season.

Goals Conceded 2020-2021 (League Goals Only)
Farrend Rawson 16 (7 playing in a back 3)
Ryan Sweeney 11 (3 in a back 3)
Kellan Gordon 10
Marek Stech 10
Jordan Bowery 7
Stephen McLaughlin 7
James Perch 6
Mal Benning 5
Aidan Stone 4
Rollin Menayese 4 (4 in a back 3)
Harry Charsley 4
George Maris 4
Corey O'Keeffe 2
Ollie Clarke 2
George Lapslie 2

Goals Conceded 2019-2020 (League Only)
Ryan Sweeney 12
Matt Preston 12
Krystian Pearce 11
Mal Benning 11
CJ Hamilton 10
Kellan Gordon 9
Bobby Olejnik 8
Conor Shaughnessy 6
Neal Bishop 6
Conrad Logan 5
Hayden White 5
James Clarke 5
Neal Bishop 3
Otis Khan 3
Alex MacDonald 3
Alistair Smith 2
Danny Rose 2
Will Tomlinson 1
Joe Riley 1
Kelland Watts 1
Nicky Maynard 1


bet ya glad covid is being lifted mate lol

Bet mrs tippy tappy is
Torrystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:36 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:What standard are you basing ‘they could have done better on’ Tippy?


It is based on my standard that we should never concede any goals so it is quite high :lol:


What better standard is there? :lol:

I tend to nod my head in agreement with your posts so think you’ll not be far off the mark. I’d be interested to see a more scientific approach to compare to your eye test though.

I don’t think Rawson has been as bad as he is made out to be.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:16 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I have analysed the goals Mansfield have conceded this season as we have gone along and made a note of the defenders or goalkeeper who could have done better to prevent the goals. These are my results to date.

You expect centre halfs, full backs and keepers to be at the top as every goal conceded usually involves a defender not stopping a cross, shot or header; or the keeper not making a save.

Mal Benning has done better defensively this season.

Goals Conceded 2020-2021 (League Goals Only)
Farrend Rawson 16 (7 playing in a back 3 under GC)
Ryan Sweeney 11 (3 in a back 3 under GC)
Kellan Gordon 10
Marek Stech 10
Jordan Bowery 7
Stephen McLaughlin 7
James Perch 6
Mal Benning 5
Aidan Stone 4
Rollin Menayese 4 (4 in a back 3 under GC)
Harry Charsley 4
George Maris 4
Corey O'Keeffe 2
Ollie Clarke 2
George Lapslie 2

Goals Conceded 2019-2020 (League Only)
Ryan Sweeney 12
Matt Preston 12
Krystian Pearce 11
Mal Benning 11
CJ Hamilton 10
Kellan Gordon 9
Bobby Olejnik 8
Conor Shaughnessy 6
Neal Bishop 6
Conrad Logan 5
Hayden White 5
James Clarke 5
Neal Bishop 3
Otis Khan 3
Alex MacDonald 3
Alistair Smith 2
Danny Rose 2
Will Tomlinson 1
Joe Riley 1
Kelland Watts 1
Nicky Maynard 1

Now do one for chances we should have scored from. It will be much higher than those conceded using your high bar :lol:
Seriously we miss some bloomin chances!!! They’re as costly if not more so.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4173
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby part time pete » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 pm

The xG folk says we have let in seven more goals than we should have and scored seven less goals than we should have.

So where are the 14 clangers. (7 missed open goals and seven goals we should not have conceded)

I will start with Bradford City’s first goal at the Mill when Stech dropped the ball over the line from the corner.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 7121
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:35 pm

Rawson has had more league minutes on the pitch(3286) than any other player and therefore you would expect more mistakes. Sweeney,Gordon and Benning have over a 1000 fewer minutes on the pitch each. Menayese (900) and O’Keefe (669) probably have quite a high mistake ratio. CBA to work out minutes per mistake.
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/99/Show ... -Mansfield
halifaxstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:18 am
Location: Northowram, Halifax

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:37 pm

part time pete wrote:The xG folk says we have let in seven more goals than we should have and scored seven less goals than we should have.

So where are the 14 clangers. (7 missed open goals and seven goals we should not have conceded)

I will start with Bradford City’s first goal at the Mill when Stech dropped the ball over the line from the corner.


That won’t we be counted in the ‘clangers’. It’s not necessarily mistakes, it’s more likely to be long range efforts.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8628
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:40 pm

I currently have Farrend Rawson as my 5th top rated player and he could move up higher before the end of the season.

The stats do not tell the whole story as some of the goals could have been prevented after Farrend had missed a header or tackle e.g. Jordan Bowery should have stopped Danny Rowe scoring at Bradford City away after Niall Canavan had won the initial header which always favoured him. I thought he played really well that night and it was the only header he did not win all night.

Other Examples
Newport (Away) - Poor defensive header but ref gives a very harsh penalty against Menayese
Barrow (Home) - Lapslie and Rawson miss tackle on Luke James but Menayese does not stop Josh Kay shooting at goal
Col U (Home) - Rawson lets Luke Norris get behind him along with Kellan Gordon but Marek Stech comes charging out to make it easier for Norris to score
Grimsby (Away) - Poor defensive header but gets a little shove in back from Owura Edwards. Sweeney could have blocked Hewitt's shot and Stech pushes ball straight out to Ira Edwards.
Crawley (Away) - Gets caught slightly up the pitch from the throw in but Kellan Gordon should have stopped James Tilley and Marek Stech lets it in at the near post.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Defensive Clangers
Exeter (Home) - Marek Stech completely misses Matt Jay's corner
Newport (away) - Jordan Bowery tees up Scott Twine for a shot on goal
Bradford City (Home) - Marek Stech drops the corner over the line
Col U (Home) - Marek Stech comes flying out of his goal
Scunthorpe (Away) - Farrend Rawson Own Goal
Salford (Home) - Marek Stech fumbles the ball from the corner
Oldham (Away) - Aidan Stone lets Alfie McAlmont's shot slip through his fingers
Bolton (Home) - Mal Benning Own Goal
Harrogate (Away) - Poor headers by Ryan Sweeney and Farrend Rawson
Barrow (Away) - Kellan Gordon tries to control ball and lets Brough run straight through on goal
Crawley (Away) - Marek Stech beaten at near post
Grimsby Town (Home) - Ryan Sweeney dives in and gives away silly free kick on edge of area
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:43 pm

Very Good Chances Missed
Stevenage (Home) - George Maris hits bar near the end of the game
Cambridge (Away) - Jamie Reid blasts over bar from 12 yards
Crawley (Home) - George Lapslie misses open goal on goal line
Southend (Away) - Jamie Reid misses great chance in front of goal. Hits Dieng on line.
Oldham (Away) - Jordan Bowery misses penalty
Tranmere (Away) - Jamie Reid misses glorious chance to score

Can you think of any more?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 pm

I can think of loads of good chances missed.

Bowery v Tranmere
Charsley v Exeter
Maynard v Newport
Bowery x2 v Bradford
Rawson v Cheltenham
Maynard/Charsley v Walsall
Maris v Crawley
Charsley v Grimsby
Charsley/Bowery/Lapslie v Southend
Sinclair v Vale
Cook v Oldham
Lapslie v Southend
Bowery/Charsley v Walsall
Rawson/Clarke v Harrogate
Clarke v Bradford
Reid v Barrow
Bowery/Rawson v Cheltenham
Charsley/Law v Carlisle
Bowery v FGR
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8628
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:47 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/d3d4football/status/1376782689131433985?s=21[/tweet]

I think this table tells us a lot of what we need to know here. Joint 4th on the chances created table.

(I am too thick to work out how to embed the tweet!)
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:44 am

League 2 - Most chances created.

I have added goals scored in brackets.

Exeter have scored 15 more goals and Cambridge 13 more goals with similar amount of chances created.

Salford and Harrogate have scored fewer goals.

I would sign Paul Mullin from Cambridge and Matt Jay from Exeter with Nicky Cadden from FGR to put in crosses from the left and Randell Williams from Exeter from the right :lol:

192 - Morecambe (52)
191 - Cambridge (58)
189 - Forest Green (49)
188 - Exeter (60)
188 - Mansfield (45)
183 - Crawley (48)
183 - Harrogate (40)
176 - Bolton (48)
176 - Salford (41)
173 - Cheltenham (48)
172 - Bradford (40)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8802
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby oldweststander » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:06 am

We will always concede goals whilst we play two attack minded full backs who prefer to play as wingers. Neither, are good defensively at the best of times but it all fairness you cannot expect them to be at both ends of the pitch at the same time.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3895
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:31 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/d3d4football/status/1376782689131433985?s=21[/tweet]

I think this table tells us a lot of what we need to know here. Joint 4th on the chances created table.

(I am too thick to work out how to embed the tweet!)

This tells us the problem. Nig will get the strikers we need. The supply is obviously not to bad, it’s the poor finishing. I actually don’t think we’re far off being a good league 4 team. Can’t wait for next season.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4173
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:46 pm

I agree about the supply lines. They are decent.

I don’t think there is always enough quality on the cross, but the biggest issue is a lack of
movement in the box.

I don’t think we are far off being a playoff contender.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Mansfield Goals Conceded 2020-2021

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree about the supply lines. They are decent.

I don’t think there is always enough quality on the cross, but the biggest issue is a lack of
movement in the box.

I don’t think we are far off being a playoff contender.


I agree, we do need some major changes and we do need some quality, especially in the final third, but we also have some very good players and our midfield is definitely promotion quality - how long has it been since we have been able to say that!
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5869
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am


Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dave Wayne, drifteraarron, ian23, teg41 and 25 guests