{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crawley score thread sponsored by 2 on the bounce

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crawley score thread sponsored by 2 on the bounce

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:He was beaten at his near post Gazza. It’s just a no no in goalkeeping.

I make that 12pts lost in the final 10mins of games.

Yes but usually at a tighter angle. From the angle the player had if he'd squared it and Stech was on the near post, like people seem to want him to be in hindsight, and they scored he'd be lynched for being too far over. The players around the lad who scored and enough pressure should hav forced a square ball.

Like I said though I'd need to watch it back because I'm not 100% on it. As far as I'm concerned though Stech had an average game overall a great save and, seemingly, a mistake. The defence however left him high and dry on 2 occasions that drew shots on goal and he's managed to deal with one of them. Those shots shouldn't have been so easy in the first place.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Agreed. Stech won’t be here next season after today, the only problem is we’ll have to pay him off or find someone to take him. Got a feeling he may head back home.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:Not allowed to criticise Sneags No1 old ram.

And yet I said he shouldn't be beaten at the near post.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:10 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:He was beaten at his near post Gazza. It’s just a no no in goalkeeping.

Yes but usually at a tighter angle. From the angle the player had if he'd squared it and Stech was on the near post, like people seem to want him to be in hindsight, and they scored he'd be lynched for being too far over. The players around the lad who scored and enough pressure should hav forced a square ball.

Like I said though I'd need to watch it back because I'm not 100% on it. As far as I'm concerned though Stech had an average game overall a great save and, seemingly, a mistake. The defence however left him high and dry on 2 occasions that drew shots on goal and he's managed to deal with one of them. Those shots shouldn't have been so easy in the first place.

He was at his near post. The ball went straight through him.

You can say the defenders could do better, but to limit a team to two meaningful shots on goal away from home is pretty good. Occasionally you expect a decent keeper to make a save.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:11 pm

A very disappointing end to a no mark game. I’m a little confused about some of the substitutions and am not sure which were enforced. Perhaps Nigel was having a loser look at some of the young fringe players in a game we should have been safe for a point. There’s is no doubt we lost our way somewhat following the changes but it doesn’t really matter as we are safe despite what some drama queens try to tell us.

I know I am always criticising Gordon but I really do not think he should have any role in our defence. The goal was not his only mistake in this game and several times he got away with errors which resulted in easier potential chances than the one Crawley eventually took. Maybe Nigel thinks he will improve and is giving him the game time this season when results won’t hurt us, if so I can only say he sees things in the player that I can’t. I don’t think he will ever be a full back and certainly not an outstanding one.

If there had to be a winner then Crawley’s second half performance probably just tilted the scale in their favour but a draw would have been the fairest result. Strangely I am not too upset at the loss and look forward to Tuesday.
Last edited by Sandy Pate Best Stag on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm

No matter how it’s dressed up, Stech should be doing far better.

A new no.1 is definitely needed in the summer and hopefully we are able to move Stech on. Stone as no.2 for me.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Excellent summary by Tippy Tappy. Totally agree. What worries me is that Nigel has just extended Gordon’s contract. If this is the standard of player he is looking to sign this summer, I am not very optimistic for next season.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

He was at his near post. The ball went straight through him.

You can say the defenders could do better, but to limit a team to two meaningful shots on goal away from home is pretty good. Occasionally you expect a decent keeper to make a save.

He won't save every shot though. Why is saving every single shot a requirement? They had 10 shots, 4 on target and scored 1. We've had 10 shots, 1 on target and scored 0.

If he's been beat at his near post while he was there is disappointing but he's the reason we weren't going into this last minutes losing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Stagdale wrote:Excellent summary by Tippy Tappy. Totally agree. What worries me is that Nigel has just extended Gordon’s contract. If this is the standard of player he is looking to sign this summer, I am not very optimistic for next season.

Because people like Clough and Sharpe can see he has potential. He’s young, he makes mistakes. He also has physical attributes which coaches crave, as well as generally good dribbling and crossing ability.

It probably also indicates that other clubs were showing an interest.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Stay with it everyone. When you have bad managerial appointments it takes time to deal with the associated poor recruitment legacy. That's what's happening at the minute. Clough has done wonders to get us where we are with such poor raw material. Six or seven out in the summer and the same incoming. It was always going to be that. Let's get the season finished. The real work will be done in the summer.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:45 pm

Was Corey O'Keeffe injured today? Not even on the bench.

Very strange that we had two centre halfs on the bench.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Nigel Clough stating he's not sure the errors and inconsistencies can be fixed with the current set of players and fresh players are needed.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nigel Clough stating he's not sure the errors and inconsistencies can be fixed with the current set of players and fresh players are needed.

Most dejected I have seen him, not happy bunny.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nigel Clough stating he's not sure the errors and inconsistencies can be fixed with the current set of players and fresh players are needed.

me too

makes you think the contract extensions signed the other month may not have been wise don’t it ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Moanalot stag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:12 pm

The One wrote:

Most dejected I have seen him, not happy bunny.

No sympathy, the transfer window ins and outs was a cluster.
Moanalot stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:13 pm

It seems obvious to me that it's not really all about individual errors in defence, Gordon mistakes excepted. The defensive unit needs looking at, from an organisation point of view.

Almost every time Crawley came forward there were spaces available in our defence. Contrast with Crawley's defence, who gave us no room at all. We got away with slack defending thanks to some low quality efforts from the Crawley forwards. But with a gappy defence we rely on luck too much, and when it runs out it looks like an individual error, but it's just the inevitable. We're just not tight at the back.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:13 pm

A very dull and flat performance, a 0-0 would of been acceptable. It's a shame we couldn't hang on but that's football, mistakes happen.

The lack of goals is just as concerning, with a better strike force we can afford to make the odd defensive mistake as we would be winning or drawing these type of games with strikers putting the ball in the net.

Crawley, Bradford, Harrogate, Carlisle all defeats by a single goal, in all these games we offered very little up front. Even Barrow, we had chances and our strikers did not take them, we then ended up losing 2-0.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:20 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

me too

makes you think the contract extensions signed the other month may not have been wise don’t it ?

To be fair, both Kellan Gordon and Harry Charsley were playing well and deserved a contract extension. They both have plenty of scope to improve further but as Nigel Clough pointed out the other week their form has dropped off since signing the new contracts. They are both potential assets for the club if they can kick on along with George Lapslie. Nigel Clough and his team will have more time to work with them over the summer and next season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:27 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

me too

It will have been a considered decision, especially with so many on two year contracts.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Swing from high to deep

Extremes of sweet and sour.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby ian23 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:35 pm

Its amazing that clough has got us to 40 pts so far, its a shame but this season is all about another couple of wins to be sure of safety and seeing who meets the attributes to stay beyond the summer
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Rob wrote:Tough to pick a MoM, possibly Stech for that save?

That was the kiss of death Rob :(

I know, should have kept my powder dry :lol: Perch was our best player, sadly the clean sheet his performance deserved was snatched at the death by a keeper error. We certainly need a new No 1 next season, I'd go for an experienced lower league keeper and keep Stone as No 2.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:17 pm

Spiritater wrote:Clough losing patience with the defence and keepers listening to his interview.

I’d be surprised if any of current squad make the 1st team for the start of next season , NC immediate concern is getting those 50+ points to keep us in the league .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:23 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Clough losing patience with the defence and keepers listening to his interview.

I’d be surprised if any of current squad make the 1st team for the start of next season , NC immediate concern is getting those 50+ points to keep us in the league .

Well some of them will have to if we’re only signing 7!

Gordon, Clarke, Maris, Lapslie will be there IMO.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum