{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List 2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby dumbarton stag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:30 pm

Mossley not moseley
dumbarton stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Gruff » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:01 pm

If I were moderator, and had the time (because I appreciate how much of their own time they give to this board) then I'd just delete the irrelevant posts in certain threads that go off topic...
Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

(which also means that this post would be deleted from this thread)...

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Gruff wrote:If I were moderator, and had the time (because I appreciate how much of their own time they give to this board) then I'd just delete the irrelevant posts in certain threads that go off topic...
Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...

I think you have to add a few more to that list. Knowles will be coming back. Maris and McLaughlin will still be with us and I think Quinn (I know you have included him) and probably Sarkic will be offered contracts.

I don’t think Benning or Sweeney will be here next season though unless they are bit part players. I can’t see Riley being here unless he is still be on contract as he will find it hard to get another club without proving his fitness.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 pm

dumbarton stag wrote:Mossley not moseley

Sorry for my error all i remember besides davie caldwells goal is it seemed to be on top of a bloody mountain and it started getting dark at half time ,happy days
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Gruff wrote:If I were moderator, and had the time (because I appreciate how much of their own time they give to this board) then I'd just delete the irrelevant posts in certain threads that go off topic...
Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...

I think you have to add a few more to that list. Knowles will be coming back. Maris and McLaughlin will still be with us and I think Quinn (I know you have included him) and probably Sarkic will be offered contracts.

I don’t think Benning or Sweeney will be here next season though unless they are bit part players. I can’t see Riley being here unless he is still be on contract as he will find it hard to get another club without proving his fitness.

Sarkic has another year on his Blackpool deal, so would likely take a fee.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Why don’t we just have a bickering thread? Or a forum sub section called ‘the pub car park’, to sort out any differences.

It might break the three word thread record :lol:

Isn't that what PMs are for, internet punch ups?

Its not a punch up its a dispute ,or a disagreement ,either way i have seen lots worse on here
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...

Sarkic has another year on his Blackpool deal, so would likely take a fee.

Unless they just want him off the wage bill.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:57 pm

Obviously missed M when going through the alphabet... Maris deffo
Not sure about Knowles.. depending on his contract and if we can cash in.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:12 pm

Gruff wrote:Obviously missed M when going through the alphabet... Maris deffo

doubt the cash in on Knowles would be much at the minute. He's not done much in first team football, but remember he is only 19.

Get him scoring 15 goals next season and snap a champ teams hand off for a million :D :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:53 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

doubt the cash in on Knowles would be much at the minute. He's not done much in first team football, but remember he is only 19.

Get him scoring 15 goals next season and snap a champ teams hand off for a million :D :lol:[/

It's what we should be aiming for,, the academy could change our future without John having to keep topping us up.
a snippet below from the bbc website about Watkins being in the England squad,

Exeter City academy.

Since 2015 sales and add-ons have netted the League Two club in excess of £10m.

Watkins is the most valuable sale - an initial club record fee of £1.8m saw him leave Exeter for Brentford in July 2017 and last summer his £28m move to Aston Villa netted the club about £4m more, providing vital cash at a time when Covid-19 was decimating football finances.

He is the highest-profile name in a series of players to have gone from Exeter's academy to bigger things.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:09 pm

Watkins has done brilliant for himself. Remember when Evans put a bid in for him? :lol: dunno if that was a rumour, or actually true. Think it was just before he signed for Brentford
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:18 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Watkins has done brilliant for himself. Remember when Evans put a bid in for him? :lol: dunno if that was a rumour, or actually true. Think it was just before he signed for Brentford

1/2 Million :) in the January transfer window .

Sure he stayed till the end of season then moved to Brentford if i remember rightly :geek:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 pm

chip63 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Get him scoring 15 goals next season and snap a champ teams hand off for a million :D :lol:[/

It's what we should be aiming for,, the academy could change our future without John having to keep topping us up.
a snippet below from the bbc website about Watkins being in the England squad,

Exeter City academy.

Since 2015 sales and add-ons have netted the League Two club in excess of £10m.

Watkins is the most valuable sale - an initial club record fee of £1.8m saw him leave Exeter for Brentford in July 2017 and last summer his £28m move to Aston Villa netted the club about £4m more, providing vital cash at a time when Covid-19 was decimating football finances.

He is the highest-profile name in a series of players to have gone from Exeter's academy to bigger things.

Exeter would have spent more than 10 million over the years on their academy. There was a good BT sport doc about academies and they're just not profitable at any level
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:01 am

Exeter also don’t compete with many clubs for local young talent. The closest big club to them is Southampton which is 109 miles away.

Compare that to what we compete with locally.

I have said it loads of times, but our strategy should be picking up 18- 21 year olds released from premier league / Championship level academies and try and develop them that way. Charsley, Stone, Clarke, Gordon are all good examples

CJ Hamilton would be the best example
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:12 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:Exeter also don’t compete with many clubs for local young talent. The closest big club to them is Southampton which is 109 miles away.

Compare that to what we compete with locally.

I have said it loads of times, but our strategy should be picking up 18- 21 year olds released from premier league / Championship level academies and try and develop them that way. Charsley, Stone, Clarke, Gordon are all good examples

CJ Hamilton would be the best example

Glen Hoddle used to give young players released another chance, think Sam Cluclas was one of his prodigies.

I do think the academy does a great job of bringing the football club to the community and is a vital part of our future.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:19 am

It's difficult to see us retaining all the players suggested by Gruff and Sandy Pate Best Stag if Nigel Clough wants to bring in 5-7 new players. Some will have to go to make room for his new players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It's difficult to see us retaining all the players suggested by Gruff and Sandy Pate Best Stag if Nigel Clough wants to bring in 5-7 new players. Some will have to go to make room for his new players.

I think you are probably correct tippy which is one reason I think Sweeney and Benning will be gone. Quinn and Sarkic would be among the 5 incoming so also wouldn’t count towards the retained list either.

It’s difficult to see who else he will get rid of as most are still contracted to the club. O’Driscoll and Menayese will no doubt be released to their new clubs and O’Keefe will probably go as well as will Stech or Stone but not both. Add on Cooke and Maynard and there are your gaps for the incoming players. I actually think Riley will go along with James Clark but the other youngsters will be retained. Sinclair may want to leave to get more game time. That leaves plenty of room for the 5 to 7 and maybe even more.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Some very long retained lists on here for a squad that has been so poor for large parts of the season. The concerning bit is though they’re probably not far off the mark due to contracts.

We just need to make sure the starting 11 has at least 7 new faces.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:37 pm

Why would you want to keep any of that team today, other than the fact than there on two year contracts?
The signings over the last two seasons have been abysmal.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby five to three » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 pm

dumbarton stag wrote:Mossley not moseley

Where I was born! Mike Summerbee ended up playing for them at the end of his career.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Norman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:08 pm

Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...

Charsley Benning and Reid ? Can I have 2 pints of what your on. They are not very good !
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Clarke
Lapslie
Maris

Nobody else.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Clarke
Lapslie
Maris

Nobody else.

That was about my list too :lol: :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 pm

I think it will be

Stone
Gordon
Perch
Rawson
Clarke
Maris
Lapslie
Charsley
McLaughlin
Bowery
Reid
Law
Sinclair
Knowles
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:46 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I think it will be

Stone
Gordon
Perch
Rawson
Clarke
Maris
Lapslie
Charsley
McLaughlin
Bowery
Reid
Law
Sinclair
Knowles

You are missing the quality signing sat pretty on two year deals, they won’t leave
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum