{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

On a positive noter

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

On a positive noter

Postby garlic » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Everybody has a right to be doom and gloom after that result but just for a moment look on the positive side. At long last a youngster - Jason Law - is beginning to get himself established and proving himself. Sinclair and Ward are now in contention for a first team place and have great potential. If I remember right when the last great crop of youngsters came through it was also in a relegation/ struggling side. So if those three, and I hope to see Caine on the bench on Tuesday with Jamie Clarke, can now get playing time and prove themselves then we have a bright future. We have enough to avoid relegation, so lets use the rest of the season to really have a good, hard look at these youngsters, and I reckon they could do us all proud.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Re: On a positive noter

Postby Torrystag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:51 pm

It was dire today after that its hard to be positive ,poor from top too bottom ,not blaming anyone but it wae dire
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stagdale » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:01 pm

A team that will always concede and can’t score......do the maths!!!
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 pm

Torrystag wrote:It was dire today after that its hard to be positive ,poor from top too bottom ,not blaming anyone but it wae dire

We were in the game even after Sweeney was sent off. Gordon's inexplicable lapses cost us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:03 am

garlic wrote:Everybody has a right to be doom and gloom after that result but just for a moment look on the positive side. At long last a youngster - Jason Law - is beginning to get himself established and proving himself. Sinclair and Ward are now in contention for a first team place and have great potential. If I remember right when the last great crop of youngsters came through it was also in a relegation/ struggling side. So if those three, and I hope to see Caine on the bench on Tuesday with Jamie Clarke, can now get playing time and prove themselves then we have a bright future. We have enough to avoid relegation, so lets use the rest of the season to really have a good, hard look at these youngsters, and I reckon they could do us all proud.

I wish I could share your confidence Garlic. These youngsters may have potential, but if we are in a relegation battle then this would not be the right time for them.
I actually do feel positive about next season ... It's this season that I am worried about.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:48 am

garlic wrote:Everybody has a right to be doom and gloom after that result but just for a moment look on the positive side. At long last a youngster - Jason Law - is beginning to get himself established and proving himself. Sinclair and Ward are now in contention for a first team place and have great potential. If I remember right when the last great crop of youngsters came through it was also in a relegation/ struggling side. So if those three, and I hope to see Caine on the bench on Tuesday with Jamie Clarke, can now get playing time and prove themselves then we have a bright future. We have enough to avoid relegation, so lets use the rest of the season to really have a good, hard look at these youngsters, and I reckon they could do us all proud.

Agree. Add Jimmy Knowles and Josh Scott to that list next season and we have a more than decent crop of youngsters. There is a lot to be done on the squad though. Stech, McLoughlin, Rawson, Reid, Charsley and Quinn don't look good enough for a promotion seeking team. Gordon shouldn't be a defender. Bowery is borderline. Benning's time may be running out. I can see big changes on the horizon, but I'm optimistic of our future with the youngsters coming through. It's always a sign of a healthy club.

I don't think it's right to expect Nigel to get us up next season. He likes to build slowly. Let him blood the youngsters, build his team and get us top half/play offs and then auto promotion the following year.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:42 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Torrystag wrote:It was dire today after that its hard to be positive ,poor from top too bottom ,not blaming anyone but it wae dire

We were in the game even after Sweeney was sent off. Gordon's inexplicable lapses cost us.

Yes we were andy ,but we never looked like winning it though,it was still a really poor display though
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:30 am

Either way the team needs major surgery, proper heart transplant stuff and not removal of an ingrowing toenail in the Summer. Because God forbid if we fall out of the FL (yeah, yeah, 'we won't go down'. But the possibility is definitely there on current form) this shower would struggle at NL level.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:46 am

I agree Spiritater and the sooner we pull away again the better. I think if we were within a couple of points of the bottom two this squad would lack the battling qualities. Thankfully we have an experienced manager to give us the best chance to avoid that. Yesterday was all about getting a point to keep Barrow at a decent distance away from us. We were comfortably on course for that until the unforced errors.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:15 am

It actually won’t take much surgery to get this side from a bottom half team into a team pushing for the top 7, or even top 3. There’s hardly anything between most of the teams. No team blows you away. We need to finish more chances and be stronger at the back, including a decent keeper. Look at Morecambe, they prove you don’t need heaps of cash either. We have the manager so I’m quietly confident of a good season next time around. COYS.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:30 am

I am too.
I am not so confident about staying up
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 am

We seem to have a great middle with options, but the back and front is not good enough.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:52 am

I'm confident we will stay up but it will be much closer than many on here would like.

We are going to get beaten more often than we win, we cannot score goals or defend properly as a unit. The forwards are not given the service, Bowery is the only guy providing the chances and he is expected to net them too. Reid is a no hoper, runs around falling over the ball or just gives it away.

I like the calmness of Perch at the back, he has made a couple of errors recently but, in my view, that's because he was trying to play right back and then having to cover for our out of position centre backs, he was caught in no man's land.

Overall it doesn't make good watching, threadbare squad, injuries and suspensions, no way to change much this season. Just hang on, grab a few points and hope for a long retained list.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 am

oldweststander wrote:I'm confident we will stay up but it will be much closer than many on here would like.

We are going to get beaten more often than we win, we cannot score goals or defend properly as a unit. The forwards are not given the service, Bowery is the only guy providing the chances and he is expected to net them too. Reid is a no hoper, runs around falling over the ball or just gives it away.

I like the calmness of Perch at the back, he has made a couple of errors recently but, in my view, that's because he was trying to play right back and then having to cover for our out of position centre backs, he was caught in no man's land.

Overall it doesn't make good watching, threadbare squad, injuries and suspensions, no way to change much this season. Just hang on, grab a few points and hope for a long retained list.

Surely you mean a short retained list? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:32 am

old ram stag wrote:We seem to have a great middle with options, but the back and front is not good enough.

real shame it wasn’t addressed in January
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:44 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
old ram stag wrote:We seem to have a great middle with options, but the back and front is not good enough.

Yep. The transfer window was an abject failure. We came out of it far weaker than we went in and we weren’t strong going in. It’s a massive gamble.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:16 pm

Welcome back belly
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Yep. The transfer window was an abject failure. We came out of it far weaker than we went in and we weren’t strong going in. It’s a massive gamble.

I think that the, signing of Lapslie is forgotten in discussions about the transfer window. He had left us.
We simply didn't have an alternative to the two whose deals fell through at the 11th hour
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

What’s happening Belly’s back and I’m agreeing!...

Massive gamble in January to take wages off, this team looked ok until fatigue crept in and resultant injuries appeared. Now looking for 50 points and major surgery in the summer, no coincidence that most of the reinforcements are signed until the end of the season.

We need to give Clough time, I’d expect it to be gradual improvements from his style.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Some posters have got this thread wrong, its looking for positive notes, not negative, Sinclaire, Ward, Law on the pitch, from the academy , and and 9 players under 25 on the pitch
this is a positive
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:10 pm

bear 73 wrote:Some posters have got this thread wrong, its looking for positive notes, not negative, Sinclaire, Ward, Law on the pitch, from the academy , and and 9 players under 25 on the pitch
this is a positive

Correct we have some good young players ,we have a good manager and a great owner ,
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby garlic » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:27 pm

bear 73 wrote:Some posters have got this thread wrong, its looking for positive notes, not negative, Sinclaire, Ward, Law on the pitch, from the academy , and and 9 players under 25 on the pitch
this is a positive

Thank you.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:41 pm

We have got NC :D :D Massive positive .

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager