{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Bradford City post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Bradford City post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:07 am

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Bradford City post match & match highlight

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:14 am

How’s that a red card?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:12 am

Dan wrote:How’s that a red card?!

Parkys Permy will be along to explain soon ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:17 am

You can feel the lad's frustration again. To lose games through crap defendig is killing him. If Bradford had ripped us to bits with 'shexy football' he'd be able to accept that. But the fact is as last Tues the opposition pretty much had their goal gift wrapped for them.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:20 am

Just what the Premier League is looking out for, refs like that. Useless.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 am

Has he taken the Lino's advice?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:01 am

Hopefully it will be rescinded. The player who went down reaction says it all.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:20 am

Listened to the interview and can sympathise with his thoughts on the poor defending however the facts are that when we go a goal down there appears to be no way back. OK the hit post incident was just plain unlucky and I thought in general play we were the better team, the problem is easy to see but difficult to put right basically we are carrying a forward who has poor control , cannot head a ball, has no anticipation, and who is constantly knocked off the ball and is only being picked because Mr Clough feels he has no alternative. Law has proved he was good enough to be given a start so why not try another fringe player..one win in seven and no shots on target last night shows something needs to be changed in the goalscoring department..we need a Danny Rowe type of player at this level oh! I forgot we had one but he now plays for Bradford
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Chris M » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:03 am

Amber Andy wrote:

I can’t remember the last time we had a red card rescinded. I do remember that one three match ban was increased to four after we appealed.

The reaction of their player who received the simplest of contact was simply embarrassing. I cannot imagine anyone rolling around like that who had received similar contact away from a professional sporting environment. I recently cancelled BT Sport in order to avoid watching antics like that in the Cash League every game. Sadly those theatrics have now crept down to all levels of football from under sevens upwards. A sad state of affairs for this to happen to what was once a great sport.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:25 am

At one of Ian Greaves' first matches - away at Darlington where we had two players sent off ! - I was talking to the Evening Post reporter and asked him if he thought Greaves would sort the club out. His reply was that if Ian Greaves couldn't do it, no-one could. I think we are in a similar position now with Nigel Clough. For various reasons we are short of numbers and of quality in certain positions, but on the plus side we have a manager who, given time and support will bring clear and sustained progress to our club.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 am

Been a few overturned red cards in the league recently. Bolton had 2 dubious decisions overturned, and Ebou Adams for FGR had his straight red on Saturday rescinded and it was an absolutely shocking challenge - the FGR fans on Twitter were in total disbelief that it got overturned :lol:

If Clarke’s is upheld then it’s just ridiculous in my opinion. Doesn’t appear to be an elbow, definitely no malice or intentional violent conduct, just really unfortunate that he caught the lad when trying to palm him off. It really doesn’t warrant a 3 match ban. Considering the injuries we have surely we have no option other than to appeal.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:51 am

The striker that we need was unfortunately sold to Northampton a while back. How we could do with his hard work, heading, finishing & general pain in the backside-ness for opposition defenders.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:13 pm

diablo wrote:Listened to the interview and can sympathise with his thoughts on the poor defending however the facts are that when we go a goal down there appears to be no way back. OK the hit post incident was just plain unlucky and I thought in general play we were the better team, the problem is easy to see but difficult to put right basically we are carrying a forward who has poor control , cannot head a ball, has no anticipation, and who is constantly knocked off the ball and is only being picked because Mr Clough feels he has no alternative. Law has proved he was good enough to be given a start so why not try another fringe player..one win in seven and no shots on target last night shows something needs to be changed in the goalscoring department..we need a Danny Rowe type of player at this level oh! I forgot we had one but he now plays for Bradford
If Nigel thought Cook was the answer he wouldn't have let him go. Same could be said of Maynard. They simply don't have the energy to play the way Nigel wants to play.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Beyond The Pale wrote:The striker that we need was unfortunately sold to Northampton a while back. How we could do with his hard work, heading, finishing & general pain in the backside-ness for opposition defenders.

Would love Danny to still be here and see what Clough could have got out of him. Some folk on here detest him, but he would be a lot better than Reid.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:10 pm

Was it Clarke who was elbowed by a Bradford player earlier in the game?
Wondered if the two incidents are linked in any way.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:16 pm

Surely if Cook or Maynard just stood there and put the ball in the net, it would be better than the headless chicken approach we have at the moment?
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkstag » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:32 pm

I don’t think it’s headless chickens- they put in a great shift but would agree we need to work to create a goal threat
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:48 pm

Chris M wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I can’t remember the last time we had a red card rescinded. I do remember that one three match ban was increased to four after we appealed.

Think Sweeney had one last season away at Exeter
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:Listened to the interview and can sympathise with his thoughts on the poor defending however the facts are that when we go a goal down there appears to be no way back. OK the hit post incident was just plain unlucky and I thought in general play we were the better team, the problem is easy to see but difficult to put right basically we are carrying a forward who has poor control , cannot head a ball, has no anticipation, and who is constantly knocked off the ball and is only being picked because Mr Clough feels he has no alternative. Law has proved he was good enough to be given a start so why not try another fringe player..one win in seven and no shots on target last night shows something needs to be changed in the goalscoring department..we need a Danny Rowe type of player at this level oh! I forgot we had one but he now plays for Bradford
If Nigel thought Cook was the answer he wouldn't have let him go. Same could be said of Maynard. They simply don't have the energy to play the way Nigel wants to play.

You can have all the energy in the world but if you cannot put the ball in the back of the net its wasted
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Vice President » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Nigel Clough was a fine striker and is far better qualified than me, but I am baffled that he thinks that Reid is better than both Cook and Maynard (both of whom have a good scoring record in this league and in higher leagues). He even said that Maynard was 'our best finisher.'

I don't buy the belief that we were simply trying to save money for 3 months. Cook & Maynard asked to be loaned out because they were'nt being picked. NC was being very decent to them by honoring their wishes - perhaps ahead of considering the needs of the club (given that we have very limited striker options now).

I trust Nigel Clough and I think he will be an excellent manager for us. But I am baffled at him preferring Reid over Cook & Maynard.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Vice President wrote:Nigel Clough was a fine striker and is far better qualified than me, but I am baffled that he thinks that Reid is better than both Cook and Maynard (both of whom have a good scoring record in this league and in higher leagues). He even said that Maynard was 'our best finisher.'

I don't buy the belief that we were simply trying to save money for 3 months. Cook & Maynard asked to be loaned out because they were'nt being picked. NC was being very decent to them by honoring their wishes - perhaps ahead of considering the needs of the club (given that we have very limited striker options now).

I trust Nigel Clough and I think he will be an excellent manager for us. But I am baffled at him preferring Reid over Cook & Maynard.

Where did Clough say he thinks Reid is better than Cook and Maynard? Not being arsey, I just haven't seen that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:05 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Vice President wrote:Nigel Clough was a fine striker and is far better qualified than me, but I am baffled that he thinks that Reid is better than both Cook and Maynard (both of whom have a good scoring record in this league and in higher leagues). He even said that Maynard was 'our best finisher.'

Where did Clough say he thinks Reid is better than Cook and Maynard? Not being arsey, I just haven't seen that

Not based on any quotes. Just the fact that he consistently picked Reid and kept Cook & Maynard on the bench suggests that he rated Reid more.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 pm

I must say - Nigel Clough's interviews are so much better than our previous managers. Hope he stays around a long time and brings the success we all crave.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Where did Clough say he thinks Reid is better than Cook and Maynard? Not being arsey, I just haven't seen that

Listen to Nigel Clough's interview on Monday from 3m 30s onwards. He makes it clear that Jamie Reid is his No 1 choice as striker and indicates that Nicky Maynard's time at the club is probably over although they have not made final decisions yet on him or Andy Cook. The club do have an option on Andy Cook.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Where did Clough say he thinks Reid is better than Cook and Maynard? Not being arsey, I just haven't seen that

Listen to Nigel Clough's interview on Monday from 3m 30s onwards. He makes it clear that Jamie Reid is his No 1 choice as striker and indicates that Nicky Maynard's time at the club is probably over although they have not made final decisions yet on him or Andy Cook. The club do have an option on Andy Cook.

Thanks mate :) I don't think we'll see Maynard or Cook back in a stags shirt again personally.

At least Reid looks arsed on the pitch unlike either of those two :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum