{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Curle\Tisdale

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Curle\Tisdale

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:24 pm

The vast majority of clubs in the EFL want instant success. Worse than that some of them expect instance success. If their expectations look as though they are not going to materialise the manager gets the sack. No wonder there are so many sackings. People like Tisdale have shown they are good managers. Of course at times it's obvious a manager isn't going to succeed.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:30 pm

As I've said many times, goid manager at a reasonable club gets the sack, why?

In most cases the fans never find out, results are to blame but why are the results so poor, he's a good manager. Behind the scenes at a football club is like nowhere else, almost a secret society, rumours come out but clubs never give chapter and verse and rarely do the departing managers.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:59 am

Rose would have been better of staying here.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Danny has done ok for Northampton. Four league goals at one every 293 mins. Before the move his career every average is every 217 mins, and for us was 235, so his scoring rate is probably about right accounting for the step up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Danny has done ok for Northampton. Four league goals at one every 293 mins. Before the move his career every average is every 217 mins, and for us was 235, so his scoring rate is probably about right accounting for the step up.

Theres more to a strikers game than goals...

overall he's been poor and judging by fans comments, no where near good enough for the league
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:23 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Danny has done ok for Northampton. Four league goals at one every 293 mins. Before the move his career every average is every 217 mins, and for us was 235, so his scoring rate is probably about right accounting for the step up.

overall he's been poor and judging by fans comments, no where near good enough for the league

Of course, but it’s there main role, and when you haven’t seen him play they give a decent overview.. Some of ours fan said he wasn’t good enough for League Two either.

I said he’s been ok based on the numbers. When you say overall he’s been poor, how may Northampton matches have you watched this season? Or is yours based on stats too?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:31 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Of course, but it’s there main role, and when you haven’t seen him play they give a decent overview.. Some of ours fan said he wasn’t good enough for League Two either.

I said he’s been ok based on the numbers. When you say overall he’s been poor, how may Northampton matches have you watched this season? Or is yours based on stats too?

I don't bother with stats of lower league football clubs, they're often inaccurate and tell a fraction of the bigger picture. Clearly said above based on fans opinions not games watched :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:37 pm

You said judging by fans comments he’s not good for the league. But before that you said overall he’s been poor, so assume that was your own opinion. Sorry if incorrect.

The stats I quoted were goals per min, which are fact based and therefore cannot be inaccurate.

We all know what Danny’s limitations are. Other than scoring goals at an ok rate, the only other useful attributes are winning free kicks, and a decent leap for his size. So it’s no surprise if Cobblers fans are saying his all round game is not up to scratch, but I suspect they knew that before they bought him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:59 pm

He was a replacement for Vadaine Oliver but he’s not as good as him in the air which probably showed with their directness.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:04 pm

He's been playing wide left a lot apparently, and not had a fair crack as a striker. I can't imagine him being suited to a wide left role, or any role other than striker really.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Danny would be a great fit in our current team.

Bring him home!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Danny would be a great fit in our current team.

Bring him home!

Who would you play him instead of though? Reid has been unplayable the past few games. It would kill his confidence to drop him now.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 am

Dan wrote:

Bring him home!

Who would you play him instead of though? Reid has been unplayable the past few games. It would kill his confidence to drop him now.

If it was possible, I'd have swapped Maynard and Cook for Rose. Was still a good squad player when he was here and maybe Clough could help him get back to that form he had under Evans. He won't be coming back though I don't think
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:51 am

Dan wrote:

Bring him home!

Reid is certainly starting to look better, but I’m not sure that he’s unplayable. He still only has 4 goals is 24 appearances.

Danny Rose is only 8 months older than Reid and scores at a much better rate and does all the pressing stuff better in my opinion.

I’d play Rose as our main striker, but one of the good things about our quad is it’s versatility. Bowery, Reid, Rose and Sarkic could all play in any of the front 3 positions
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:25 am

Dan wrote:

Bring him home!

Bloody hell Dan, me thinks you're used to Conference now.

Reid is still way way below average
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:29 am

I agree there. I don’t know what games you’ve been watching
but I don’t think you can describe Reid as unplayable
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 am

Well Nigel Clough thinks he is so I’m more likely to trust him than a few blokes on the internet... ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:25 am

Dan wrote:Well Nigel Clough thinks he is so I’m more likely to trust him than a few blokes on the internet... ;)

:lol: :lol: But you don’t trust thousands of years of mathematics and the principles behind probability?

All joking aside, Reid has started to look the part and long may it continue. I’m looking forward to eating my humble pie if he finishes on more than 10 league goals
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 am

As has already been said elsewhere there’s more to being a striker than how many goals you get, as Jordan Bowery has proven. And Emile Heskey who Michael Owen said was the best striking partner he ever had.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:48 am

I agree that there is more to a striker than goals. But a strikers core function is to score and assist.

When they can do that, the other stuff sets the good strikers apart from the not so good.

Reid has 4 goals and 1 assist

Bowery has 7 goals and 4 assists

Charsley has 5 goals and 4 assists.

Danny Rose has 5 goals and 1 assist (in the league above).

To add further context, Reid has played the vast majority of his minutes as the central striker. The other three have spent more time on one of the flanks
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Dan wrote:As has already been said elsewhere there’s more to being a striker than how many goals you get, as Jordan Bowery has proven. And Emile Heskey who Michael Owen said was the best striking partner he ever had.

But Dan that was because he made Owen look like the best striker the world has ever seen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Was hoping the Danny Rose cult of personality love in would stop after he left but I guess not. I'll always be the champion of the truth, his work rate was very good, but as a forward he wasn't good enough, he was a cheat that spent more time on the floor than on his feet, and wanted away long before his wish was granted. I'm glad he's gone.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Danny Rose has scored about as many as you might expect given his style of play as a striker . He's never been prolific and could reasonably expect to play a part in a team lower league 1 , higher league 2 .
Jamie Reid had a poor league start and was lucky to see his name on the team sheet a few weeks back , but he has improved . He's hardly unplayable and still has much to do to convince he can play the main striking role in a team looking to go up , this year or next .
On topic I think both Curle and Tisdale have been unlucky and not given time , but that seems to be the way with most clubs . Hopefully not us .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Surprised at Exeter, they know Tisdale`s way of working and when he returned knew exactly what they were getting, so I expected better of them as in many other ways they are an exemplary club.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Big yella » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:32 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Was hoping the Danny Rose cult of personality love in would stop after he left but I guess not. I'll always be the champion of the truth, his work rate was very good, but as a forward he wasn't good enough, he was a cheat that spent more time on the floor than on his feet, and wanted away long before his wish was granted. I'm glad he's gone.

I think that has to be the best post I’ve read since my first day on this site.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum