{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan's signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coughlan's signings

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:32 pm

It's been said elsewhere but to be fair to GC there's some good players that he's signed that now seem to be key to the team, particularly (I think):

Lapslie
Maris
Clarke
Charsley
Bowery
Perch
Rawson

Stech, O'Driscoll, O'Keeffe, Reid and McLaughlin have potential as well or haven't shown it fully yet. Reid seems to be coming through more recently with NC showing him confidence by playing him every week.

It hasn't worked out for Menayese (yet) and Riley got injured early on.

Might have got some GC and JD signings mixed up here though, which people can correct.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Re: Coughlan's signings

Postby victor A block » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm

Did he sign great players and use them incorrectly or has Clough made average players better players ?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:43 pm

victor A block wrote:Did he sign great players and use them incorrectly or has Clough made average players better players ?

A bit of both. I think there are some good ones in there and some not so good. Clough is getting more out of all of them than Coughlan did.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 pm

I think that we weren't ever unhappy with the squad, but Coughlan just didn't seem to be able to get them to play anywhere near their potential.
The poor pre-season turned out to be a warning of what was to follow, and Clough's success has emphasised that they're a decent set of players. Probably they can be regarded as the best in League 2, even though in October they looked like the worst shower in the professional leagues.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 pm

I was surprised we managed to sign Maris as that boy was destined for the championship a few short seasons ago. Having started slowly hes now showing his potential and is turning into a real gem for us.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:43 pm

victor A block wrote:Did he sign great players and use them incorrectly or has Clough made average players better players ?

Definitely both.

Don't forget Cooper took over for a short while and we were clearly much improved under him, even securing our first victory of the season after 15 attempts! Clough came in and we carried on with the improvement to where we are now on a 4 game league win streak. That's the clough improvement but we also improved under a rookie. It's clear as day that GC was the issue. The players are the same players just the management team has changed.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 pm

Pushing it a bit far with the 'great players' tag.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Pushing it a bit far with the 'great players' tag.

Would you not say Clarke, Perch, Lapslie have been great players? Most were dumpster fire at the start of the season and most have turned it around. I'd say they've been players we've been missing for ages especially Clarke, Lapslie, Charsley.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 pm

They're ok players and have potential as a team, but 'great'... no. If they get us up the tag 'great' will be more apt.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Spiritater wrote:They're ok players and have potential as a team, but 'great'... no. If they get us up the tag 'great' will be more apt.

Maybe I think they're great because of what we had to endure at the end of the Flitcroft era, the Dempster era and Coughlan era. A very rough time for the club and fans, now we're looking back up again maybe I'm being too generous but recently they're still been better than just OK
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:12 am

Spiritater wrote:They're ok players and have potential as a team, but 'great'... no. If they get us up the tag 'great' will be more apt.

Not often I agree with you, Tater........ so I won't try to now! :P ;)

But yeah, the 'greats' implies they have a history with us of accolades and achievement. There are some very decent players, I'll give GC that. But as mentioned, Cloughie has elevated their potential imo
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:57 am

Depends on the scale and context. Better adjectives than great could be 'superb' 'excellent' and 'exquisite'

So on that scale I'd say we have some great players. In context of league 2 we do have some great players. In the context of out of all players in the world then ne we don't have great players. In the context of this season and last then we have some exceptional players right now.

You don't go on a run like we have recently without great players.

Also you say only great players achieve anything at our club. We won a league title 8 years ago. We had some great players to do that. However would you swap Ollie Clarke now with Anthony Howell from back then? Or Lee Stevenson with George Lapslie? I wouldn't. Doesn't mean they weren't great player though.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 am

History will not rember GC kindly, but for me he did assemble a very good squad. On paper at absolute least, but we've not exactly been easy to beat all season, look at the table, we have less losses than league leaders Cambridge. Amount of draws we've had is daft so we've been lacking in confidence and killer edge.
GC was just very very stubborn and as a result seemed to lose the dressing room in record time.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum