{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Scunthorpe post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Scunthorpe post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:56 pm

Last edited by Son Of Sherwood on Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Scunthorpe post match & match highlights

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 pm

5 really scruffy goals there.

Rawson could and should have done better with their first goal IMO. It was by no means all he could do with it. He had time to get his positioning right and put it either side of the goal out for a corner.

Never mind about the quality of the goals. We won and that's what really counts. A beautiful goal is worth the same as an ugly one and it's 3 points in the bag.

4 from Southend and Scunthorpe isn't a bad return.

Some interesting fixtures coming up now, playing a sinking Port Vale, a beatable Oldham and struggling (albeit resurgent) Southend again in January.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Don’t see much Rawson could have done instead imo. Good away victory. Well done Bowery!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks SOS
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:39 pm

Rawson, poor moment. Thankfully it didn't cost us. Lino did well ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:03 pm

It was a mistake by Farrend Rawson but he made up for it with his header for the third goal. I thought he played well apart from the o.g.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:13 pm

You can't blame him for that goal. Had his man covered, Scunthorpe player went for a shot outside box, it gets deflected and rawson is at full stretch to stop him getting on the end of it.
Unlucky in my opinion that it deflected harshly on both accounts.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:14 pm

The One wrote:Thanks SOS

You're welcome

:coys:
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:23 pm

Rawson has gone with his wrong foot hasn't he? He should've taken another step then gone with his left foot. Instead he's lunged at it with his wrong foot which has cost him. He still had a good game though.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:29 am

Dan wrote:Rawson has gone with his wrong foot hasn't he? He should've taken another step then gone with his left foot. Instead he's lunged at it with his wrong foot which has cost him. He still had a good game though.

That's my takr on ot too Dan ie wrong foot. But we won and it's not a points coster so we march on.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:28 am

had conversation with a Scunny fan yesterday, he was so flustered they didn’t take advantage of and i quote the slowest defence he has seen all season ummmm food for thought !

ofcourse i did point out that we still beat um lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:48 am

The first goal should have been closed down better as the lad who got the scuffed shot in had 3 players around him too slow to close down. We’re leaving far too much space on the edge of the box (Southend goal an example), I think we need 2 sitting midfielders in defensive phases and especially when in front to cover the space in front of the defence.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 am

Dan wrote:Rawson has gone with his wrong foot hasn't he? He should've taken another step then gone with his left foot. Instead he's lunged at it with his wrong foot which has cost him. He still had a good game though.

I initially thought he wasn’t to blame, but after watching it back I think you are right. I also agree that he played well otherwise
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:53 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:

I initially thought he wasn’t to blame, but after watching it back I think you are right. I also agree that he played well otherwise

The problem with Rawson is that's he's very slow, teams constantly play the ball in behind him and we're knackered because Gordon is mostly pushed forward and Stech is not a sweeper type of Goalie.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:49 am

Neil Cox Post Match Interview

Poor defending. Manny (Onariase) misses the ball for the first goal. We let them have too many touches before the cross for the second goal. Set pieces were poor. Do not defend set pieces well enough. Want to keep passing the ball. Other teams have learnt our strengths. They let our centre halfs have the ball and do not put them under pressure. They then stop Gilliead and Eisa and McAtee getting the ball and crowd them out. They then press our midfield two and put them under pressure. They are young players and still learning. They sometimes do not know their next pass. We might need a nasty midfield player.

Focused on in swinging set pieces as Mansfield had not defended them well but Eisa's set pieces were generally poor apart from when Manny nearly scored. Then lost our 6 foot 1 centre half due to injury. Manny twisted his ankle and has been struggling with a groin injury.

Have offered a couple of contracts to out of contract players. Hoping to get a player in next week but struggling financially. No money from Football League. Jem Karachan is training with them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p092hwl1
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum