{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Iron scorefred sponsored by Tier 4 here we come (k/o 1pm)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Iron scorefred sponsored by Tier 4 here we come (k/o 1pm

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:11 am

daddycool wrote:Regarding the punch ,I think he did the right thing ,cleared the danger area .So I didn’t think Stech did much wrong yesterday .

There's nothing better for easing the danger than the keeper catching the ball but more and more modern keepers seem to prefer to punch.

Rod Arnold, Kevin Hitchcock, Darren Ward, Ian Bowling, Alan Marriott etc could have had a cup of tea and a turkey cob and still caught that corner. It was an easy catch for Stech with no attackers near him......then again thinking back to the Bradford game when he tried to catch a corner :shock: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:53 am

I though Stech played well yesterday, so this is complete nit-picking......

There is a lot more risk to a punch than there is to a catch if there is no pressure in the keeper.

The difference in size of the surface area between your palms/fingers compared to a fist is the main reason why. Also the technology in the glove, where the palm is designed to aid catching.

I thought he should have caught it, but he dealt with it effectively anyway so who cares?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:09 am

Neil Bishop's views were interesting on BBC Radio Humberside

He said at the beginning that you could see why both teams were struggling near the bottom of League 2. He said Mansfield had a more clear pattern of play in that they tried to get their full backs bombing forward and putting crosses into the box but that meant they would leave gaps at the back that other teams could exploit. He also said all the Mansfield midfield players liked to get forward and so left space behind. He could not see any pattern of play for Scunthorpe. He also could not see Scunthorpe scoring and was surprised when they did. His funniest comment was when John McAtee scored Scunthorpe's second goal and Bishop's reaction was "I'd forgotten he was playing". He was right though. McAtee had a poor game yesterday.

He also said that he thought Scunthorpe might win the midfield battle against Mansfield because the likes of George Lapslie and George Maris were good technical players but they were not battlers. He admitted that Ollie Clarke was a "a bit of a battler, a bit of a dog" but if he was playing against Maris and Lapslie then he'd get right stuck into them and they might decide they don't fancy it.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:11 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Neil Bishop's views were interesting on BBC Radio Humberside

He said at the beginning that you could see why both teams were struggling near the bottom of League 2. He said Mansfield had a more clear pattern of play in that they tried to get their full backs bombing forward and putting crosses into the box but that meant they would leave gaps at the back that other teams could exploit. He also said all the Mansfield midfield players liked to get forward and so left space behind. He could not see any pattern of play for Scunthorpe. He also could not see Scunthorpe scoring and was surprised when they did. His funniest comment was when John McAtee scored Scunthorpe's second goal and Bishop's reaction was "I'd forgotten he was playing". He was right though. McAtee had a poor game yesterday.

He also said that he thought Scunthorpe might win the midfield battle against Mansfield because the likes of George Lapslie and George Maris were good technical players but they were not battlers. He admitted that Ollie Clarke was a "a bit of a battler, a bit of a dog" but if he was playing against Maris and Lapslie then he'd get right stuck into them and they might decide they don't fancy it.

Those comments show just because you’re an ex pro, it doesn’t necessarily mean you know what you’re talking about. How could you possibly say George Lapslie is not a battler?
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:15 am

I agree it was a bit of a daft comment by Bish because George Lapslie's main strength is charging around and battling for the ball.

The Scunthorpe midfield of Beestin, Spence and Gilliead are also not old fashioned Bish style battlers. I think he was just blowing his own trumpet a little because the comments came after a Scunthorpe fan had texted in to say that Scunthorpe could do with a Neil Bishop type player in midfield.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:23 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Those comments show just because your end ex pro, it doesn’t necessarily mean you know what you’re talking about. How could you possibly say George Lapslie is not a battler?

I agree that he was wrong about Lapslie. The rest of his commentary was really good though.

I put this earlier in the match thread, but he was talking about how way it was to attack our back four because our midfield went too high. Five minutes later they had the shot from Gillead which Stech saved and the goal, both caused by this issue.

He is also right about our pattern of play. The first two goals came from our overlapping full backs, which have equally left us open to conceding in previous games.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:42 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Those comments show just because your end ex pro, it doesn’t necessarily mean you know what you’re talking about. How could you possibly say George Lapslie is not a battler?

I agree that he was wrong about Lapslie. The rest of his commentary was really good though.

I put this earlier in the match thread, but he was talking about how way it was to attack our back four because our midfield went too high. Five minutes later they had the shot from Gillead which Stech saved and the goal, both caused by this issue.

He is also right about our pattern of play. The first two goals came from our overlapping full backs, which have equally left us open to conceding in previous games.

My comment purely relates to Darrens quotes, as I didn’t listen to his commentary, so I accept that you say he was generally good.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:29 pm

We are now 9th in the xG league table (P20 W6 D9 L5 = 27 Points (+7 points). Only 5 points off the play offs! :lol:

Our win over Scunthorpe was our best xG attacking away performance of the season (1.7) and our second best defensive xG away performance (0.7). Bolton away was 0.5.

We also had 48% possession which is our 2nd best away possession % after Morecambe.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Very important win that, I think without January additions it would be a pretty poor rest of the season but capable of picking up wins like that to avoid Danger.

I’m hoping we see some real improvements if Clough manages to bring a couple of his own in.

I think all considered he’s done a pretty good job since coming in.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:23 pm

What i found staggering was the fact only
5 teams have lost the same number of games or less than us.

I don't think we're a million miles away from being a very decent side. We've already shown we're difficult to beat.

Perhaps controversially I'd like to see us bring in a better attacking right back, someone comfortable on the ball.

I don't think Mal has had a particularly bad game in the time I've been watching but I do think he slows down some of our play.

Every time he has the ball at his feet in space he takes an extra touch and an age to make his decision.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing who Nige has lined up. I do expect a loan of a young kid / prospect from the Championship or higher in the attacking third.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:29 pm

A vital 3 points on Sat following other results, we still remain 4 pts of the trap door and 7 points of mid table. I thought we made hard work of a 2 goal cushion twice, having to score 3 goals away to win a game and still having to defend a one goal lead, having only 2 clean sheets in 13 games is a problem.
Reid fails on all fronts and looks like a boy in mens football, and certainly there is at times a gap between midfield and defence allowing to much space for opposing forwards.
Cook must be carrying a knock because he has the ability to upset defenders, My xmas wish came true we won, and now new years list is a strong pacy centre forward and a holding midfield player releasing Clarke. Stech not sure off, does not control the six yard box, and decision making when coming out poor. The problem with fans is we concentrate on the skilful side of the game not the disciplined input to stop their players performing. Clough has respect in the game because he has been there and done it, i rate him but he stands by players who do their jobs, and yes they gave us a nice xmas
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Do you mean left back Broomo if you are referring to Mal Benning?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Do you mean left back Broomo if you are referring to Mal Benning?

I had to have labels on my socks and shoes when I was a kid ;-)

What can I say, I'm daft as a brush. I DID mean left back. Which is even worse considering I played there my whole life!

I think both full backs are a bit agricultural but I like Gordon's swashbuckling style.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:37 pm

bear 73 wrote:The problem with fans is we concentrate on the skilful side of the game not the disciplined input to stop their players performing. Clough has respect in the game because he has been there and done it. I rate him but he stands by players who do their jobs

That's a good point Bear and a team needs players who are switched on for the whole game. One lack of concentration and it can result in a goal.

"Find the dope"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:28 pm

broomo wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Do you mean left back Broomo if you are referring to Mal Benning?

I had to have labels on my socks and shoes when I was a kid ;-)

What can I say, I'm daft as a brush. I DID mean left back. Which is even worse considering I played there my whole life!

I think both full backs are a bit agricultural but I like Gordon's swashbuckling style.

Clough needs to give O'Keefe a go at right back, he's very comfortable on the ball and I think there was a stat for his time at Macclesfield last season having the most successful attacking dribbles/ runs in the league
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Gordon has been one of if not the most creative player. Clough won’t be dropping him anytime soon.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Kellan Gordon has been one of our most important attacking players so I doubt Nigel Clough will drop him for Corey O'Keeffe. He has good stats

Kellan Gordon Starts (including Cup Games)
P17 W5 D8 L4

Kellan Gordon Starts (League Games)
P14 W3 D8 L3

Games where Kellan Gordon did not start (including Cup Games)
P9 W1 D3 L5
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:03 pm

I think the only thing with Gordon is defensively he can switch off, so may be better playing higher up rather than at full back. If he can work on that side of his game he would be a top RB and would be playing higher up.

I agree with others that we lack attackers who are direct with their pace. Carlisle were exactly that, got the ball wide and had a go at the full backs. Most of the time at this level it will work and create chances hence why they are doing so well.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:43 am

I’m pretty sure given the chance O’Keefe would become our firsts
choice RB.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:07 am

O’keefe to right back Gordon instead of Charsley would be my change, he’s got more pace and crossing is better.

Also I’d start Cooke down the Middle instead of Reid with Bowery out left. Both Bowery and Gordon’s pace would make up for the lack of Cooke mobility

I hope Nigel does make a few changes for Tuesday it has showed on numerous occasions this season playing Saturday/Tuesday is a big ask for the same 11 and usually results in a flat and tired performance
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:12 am

Kenwood wrote:O’keefe to right back Gordon instead of Charsley would be my change, he’s got more pace and crossing is better.

Also I’d start Cooke down the Middle instead of Reid with Bowery out left. Both Bowery and Gordon’s pace would make up for the lack of Cooke mobility

I hope Nigel does make a few changes for Tuesday it has showed on numerous occasions this season playing Saturday/Tuesday is a big ask for the same 11 and usually results in a flat and tired performance

I know there’s not many to choose from, but that’s the first win we’ve had with a weeks break between matches.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:57 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Neil Bishop's views were interesting on BBC Radio Humberside

Those comments show just because you’re an ex pro, it doesn’t necessarily mean you know what you’re talking about. How could you possibly say George Lapslie is not a battler?

Doesn't he still work for Mansfield? He's hardly impartial.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Think he’s right about Maris and Lapslie, Clarke likes a tackle, Maris gets eased off the ball quite easily and Lapslie isn’t built for midfield battles, he’s much more effective getting forwards
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:45 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:Think he’s right about Maris and Lapslie, Clarke likes a tackle, Maris gets eased off the ball quite easily and Lapslie isn’t built for midfield battles, he’s much more effective getting forwards

He’s not right. Lapslie has the most tackles per game of any of our squad, and Maris is third.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum