{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Southend post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Southend post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Last edited by Son Of Sherwood on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Southend post match & match highlights

Postby garlic » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:38 pm

Could I take this opportunity to thank you, Son of Sherwood, for your constant supply of this thread on the message board, I, for one, am very grateful. As for NC`s comments, couldnt have put it better myself, there is no excuse for lack of effort and desire and that is what was lacking in the first 45 minutes.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:00 pm

garlic wrote:Could I take this opportunity to thank you, Son of Sherwood, for your constant supply of this thread on the message board, I, for one, am very grateful. As for NC`s comments, couldnt have put it better myself, there is no excuse for lack of effort and desire and that is what was lacking in the first 45 minutes.

I echo that SOS
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:14 pm

Mark Molesley's Post Match interview on BBC Radio Essex

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p091z9m4

Defended well for large periods. No football could be played on that cabbage patch pitch. It was all about doing the dirty side of the game. One sloppy moment cost us. Got a lead and then tried to be strong and resolute. Should have had a penalty. The biggest stonewaller you will ever see. The ref is not worth speaking about. Happy with a point. Tough place to come and it was an energy sapping pitch.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Mark Molesley's Post Match interview on BBC Radio Essex

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p091z9m4

Defended well for large periods. No football could be played on that cabbage patch pitch. It was all about doing the dirty side of the game. One sloppy moment cost us. Got a lead and then tried to be strong and resolute. Should have had a penalty. The biggest stonewaller you will ever see. The ref is not worth speaking about. Happy with a point. Tough place to come and it was an energy sapping pitch.

This was the Southend manager Mark Molesley quote from the local paper:

“It was a really tough pitch and if it had rained it was going to be called off straight away."

I wonder if that was from the referee, or his own opinion.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:31 am

garlic wrote:Could I take this opportunity to thank you, Son of Sherwood, for your constant supply of this thread on the message board, I, for one, am very grateful. As for NC`s comments, couldnt have put it better myself, there is no excuse for lack of effort and desire and that is what was lacking in the first 45 minutes.

The One wrote:

I echo that SOS

Thank you both, much appreciated.

and a very merry Christmas to all Stagsnet members
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:23 am

Poor positioning from Non Stech imo. An attempt at a save wouldn't have gone amiss either.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:24 am

Must admit from the angle we got I did wonder about his positioning, but the power on it meant he probably didn’t have time to move, brilliant strike, oh to see Charsley and co put their foot through the ball like that.
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:44 am

I could listen to Cloughie all day long, shame the players didn't in the first half.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:01 am

agree but if the players are not taking it on board we int winning & im starting to get worried tbh,
for whatever reason these players don’t gel as a team & he needs to get this right next month
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:32 am

They should build a brick wall in the home dug out so Nigel has got something to bang his head against.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:18 am

northern stag wrote:Must admit from the angle we got I did wonder about his positioning, but the power on it meant he probably didn’t have time to move, brilliant strike, oh to see Charsley and co put their foot through the ball like that.

From the angle we had in the West Stand, Stech had no chance.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:32 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
northern stag wrote:Must admit from the angle we got I did wonder about his positioning, but the power on it meant he probably didn’t have time to move, brilliant strike, oh to see Charsley and co put their foot through the ball like that.

Well he won't have had Marty, he was too far left and gave the player a massive target.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:38 am

Spiritater wrote:Poor positioning from Non Stech imo. An attempt at a save wouldn't have gone amiss either.

He had absolutely no chance with that, its right in the top corner at some speed from not far out...

Should watch Ben fosters vlogs where he sticks his camera in the net, some shots from way out the box with pace right in the corner shows a keeper sometimes has no chance. Never mind from the edge of the box like the shot Stech faced
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 am

Spiritater wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Well he won't have had Marty, he was too far left and gave the player a massive target.

fans are always right :roll:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:41 am

No chance for Stech with that one, from someone who has criticised his positions previously.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:47 am

I think it was poor positioning by Mark Oxley in the Southend goal for Jordan Bowery's equaliser. Marek Stech would have been hammered for it. Oxley was expecting Jordan Bowery to pass to George Lapslie on his right and he was positioning himself to deal with a shot from Lapslie from the right hand side of the area. It was also a bad decision by centre half, Shaun Hobson, not to immediately challenge Bowery because he was also expecting a pass to the unmarked Lapslie who would have had a free shot on goal but from a tighter angle.

Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think it was poor positioning by Mark Oxley in the Southend goal for Jordan Bowery's equaliser. Marek Stech would have been hammered for it. Oxley was expecting Jordan Bowery to pass to Harry Charsley on his right and he was positioning himself to deal with a shot from Charsley from the right hand side of the area. It was also a bad decision by centre half, Shaun Hobson, not to immediately challenge Bowery because he was also expecting a pass to the unmarked Charsley who would have had a free shot on goal but from a tighter angle.

Lapslie, not Charsley.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:58 pm

Well spotted Martin. It just shows how easy it is to make mistakes when identifying players :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

And that's it from me with you. If your constant negativity aint bad enough you're now a GK expert.
You sir are a class A jebend. Dont bother charging your Wii up to reply as I won't see it...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:05 pm

I'm heart broken. :cry:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:12 pm

Tbf to Stech, that was a terrific well-placed shot which most keepers at our level would struggle with. That and the fact Olayinka had more time & space than Dr Who
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum