{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January transfer window news

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January transfer window news

Postby geoffhill » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Gary Roberts is at Chester.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Every transfer window heralds the Stags fans calling for numerous new signings. Worked so far!!!!! Time to look at what we've got , recognise that it is an inexperienced squad and give the new manager the time to do what he was brought in to do. Eye them up for the summer but let's build rather than buy for now.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:39 pm

five to three wrote:Every transfer window heralds the Stags fans calling for numerous new signings. Worked so far!!!!! Time to look at what we've got , recognise that it is an inexperienced squad and give the new manager the time to do what he was brought in to do. Eye them up for the summer but let's build rather than buy for now.

I agree most major business should be done in the summer, but we’ve won 2 league games all season. What we’ve got isn’t good enough for us to be certain of staying up at this stage. Teams around us will be strengthening and we need to as well.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:15 am

Wonder if stags will look at Stockton from morecambe he’s looked a good player when I’ve seen him on tv.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby lifestags » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:31 am

It’s a weird one, I’ve just had a look at our squad again and if I’m being totally honest it’s pretty decent, especially our centre of midfield with options like Lapslie, Clarke, Maris, Charsley.

It’s hard to put your finger on why they have been so inconsistent, is it that the squad is good but it’s missing some important ingredients ? Is it that they aren’t as good as they/we think and we need a clear out?

Certainly interesting, I do think Coughlam was extremely stubborn and got players in to play 5-3-2 which has left us without any pace in the side, I also think the strikers we have are pretty similar and none have that pace to get in behind, leaves us without that “out ball”.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:45 am

lifestags wrote:It’s a weird one, I’ve just had a look at our squad again and if I’m being totally honest it’s pretty decent, especially our centre of midfield with options like Lapslie, Clarke, Maris, Charsley.

It’s hard to put your finger on why they have been so inconsistent, is it that the squad is good but it’s missing some important ingredients ? Is it that they aren’t as good as they/we think and we need a clear out?

Certainly interesting, I do think Coughlam was extremely stubborn and got players in to play 5-3-2 which has left us without any pace in the side, I also think the strikers we have are pretty similar and none have that pace to get in behind, leaves us without that “out ball”.

I think it's this. Clarke has started to look pretty decent with an injury free run in the side, Maris flatters to deceive and the anonymous twins are just that for the majority of games
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:18 am

I don't think we need wholesale changes. Get Lapslie signed, get another centre mid who can battle and pass. Get one winger and bring back Knowelsy. That would keep us up and we'll see how far they can go and who wants to stay next season.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:36 am

I don’t think Knowles is good enough for this level as he don’t play for County regularly.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:41 am

Centre mid is the least of our worries in my opinion, particularly if Lapslie stays for the full season.

We’re absolutely crying out for some wide men and a striker with genuine pace. Would probably move Reid out on loan in January if we can based on what we have seen to make way.

Knowles is not the answer.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:42 am

I think a mixture of the 2.they are good players, who on their day could be some of the best in the league. However, as usually is the case in league 2, how often they have good days decides whether you are going for the top or near the bottom.

It's no surprise to me that a respected and experienced manager has come in and they start having more good days. Its a good squad that needs tweaking not replacing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Good luck if you get to know anything with Clough, he normally keeps things close to his chest till the deal is done. Looking at the team only 2 clean sheets from the last 11 games and their lies our problem. These players have till Jan to sort it.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:26 pm

Nigel and his brother will have a long list of players.Having been at Derby and Burton I would expect a couple of signings of players they know and trust.George Thorne ex Derby now at Oxford would be an excellent signing.Akins at Burton would too.He may have a close relationship with Clough.I am only speculating though.A quick striker and a centre back plus right and left back.It will be interesting who he brings in.I trust in him.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Midfield is the the biggest problem. A total lack of creativity. I feel sorry for the service starved strikers. Clarke and Lapslie in flashes are the only ones who give us anything
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:50 pm

Herts Stag wrote:Midfield is the the biggest problem. A total lack of creativity. I feel sorry for the service starved strikers. Clarke and Lapslie in flashes are the only ones who give us anything

It's funny because I've seen someone else say the midfield is the least of our worries :lol:

I'd try to address the defence first because we are raspberry at keeping clean sheets
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:55 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Herts Stag wrote:Midfield is the the biggest problem. A total lack of creativity. I feel sorry for the service starved strikers. Clarke and Lapslie in flashes are the only ones who give us anything

It's funny because I've seen someone else say the midfield is the least of our worries :lol:

I'd try to address the defence first because we are raspberry at keeping clean sheets

And yet Gordon and Rawson keep playing despite poor defending on a regular basis?????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on Trent » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:03 pm

Why play Gordon when you've got 2 better right backs on the books in Clarke and O'Keeffe?
Stag on Trent
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Ollie Clarke is decent but cant do it on his own.

Charsley has shown he's not up to it, spends too much time on the floor and trying to nick the ball or pass it last minute after a poor touch or being out muscled easily.

Lapslie, hard one.. tried and gives effort and runs about a lot, chipped in with some goals but goes missing and doesnt impact games as much as people think

Gordon, average winger thats being made to defend when he cant

no creativity and no movement or threat upfront...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:14 pm

I think we need at least 11 new players.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Jimmy Knowles played and scored for County today
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Jimmy knowles is not the answer at this point
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby chip63 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Think knowles is on a season long loan so not sure we could bring him back.
Think he's one for the future, maybe next season.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:47 pm

chip63 wrote:Think knowles is on a season long loan so not sure we could bring him back.
Think he's one for the future, maybe next season.

I thought we had a January recall clause which is fairly standard.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:03 pm

We need a wide player, our performances this season has shown how much we are missing CJ. OK his crosses were not always good but Blackpool have improved him already so why didn't we?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm

oldweststander wrote:We need a wide player, our performances this season has shown how much we are missing CJ. OK his crosses were not always good but Blackpool have improved him already so why didn't we?

We did improve him, Flitcroft definitely did.

He’s working under better coaches now, a manager who is used to developing young players. And he’s not playing on the left so his crossing is not a big factor.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Ched Evans been told he can leave Fleetwood... now I know he’s got a history but he’s a goalscorer...
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum