{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January transfer window news

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January transfer window news

Postby bear 73 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:13 am

Choudhury, Irvine, Akins, would certainly put Mansfield on a new level, Must say i hope broomo doesnt send me any mince pies
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:25 am

We've had some unrealistic players linked to us but Choudhury is the most ludicrous by a mile. :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:27 am

Captain Cunno wrote:We've had some unrealistic players linked to us but Choudhury is the most ludicrous by a mile. :lol:

apologies, had I realised he was involved with the first team on such a regular basis I wouldn't have believed it. Thought he was still a teenager that had played league one.

part of me though is hoping for some top signings because of Nigel :coys:
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:49 am

I agree ,im looking forward to see what Nige can get through the door.
I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:11 am

Hearing through the grape vine we are interested in Matt Palmer
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:30 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Hearing through the grape vine we are interested in Matt Palmer

Tidy little attacking midfielder who never really fulfilled his promise or potential, I always wanted him to get on the ball and dictate the pace of the game but he seemed to go into his shell a bit.

He definitely has ability but sometimes lacked a bit of application, if he came here with a point to prove it may turn out to be a canny bit of business.

I'd be shocked but its not out of the realms of possibility if he came as he got a bit too big for his boots at Burton and thought the grass was greener elsewhere. That kind of attitude doesn't usually sit well with Nigel.

I think Burton got around 250k for him from Rotherham where he thought they would build the midfield around him but the move didn't work out.

He's better than ok but he wouldn't get my pulse racing
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 pm

broomo wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Hearing through the grape vine we are interested in Matt Palmer

Tidy little attacking midfielder who never really fulfilled his promise or potential, I always wanted him to get on the ball and dictate the pace of the game but he seemed to go into his shell a bit.

He definitely has ability but sometimes lacked a bit of application, if he came here with a point to prove it may turn out to be a canny bit of business.

I'd be shocked but its not out of the realms of possibility if he came as he got a bit too big for his boots at Burton and thought the grass was greener elsewhere. That kind of attitude doesn't usually sit well with Nigel.

I think Burton got around 250k for him from Rotherham where he thought they would build the midfield around him but the move didn't work out.

He's better than ok but he wouldn't get my pulse racing

No mince pies do that ;)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sammythestag » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Would make sense. Formerly managed by Cloughie and represented by Sharpe. Also not been playing every week for Wigan and his loan finishes in Jan.
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:We've had some unrealistic players linked to us but Choudhury is the most ludicrous by a mile. :lol:

Know what I mean. That’s truly insane
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Think we’ve been linked with him for the last three windows.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I agree ,im looking forward to see what Nige can get through the door.
I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I think Broomo said that Nigel Clough's speciality is signing players that nobody has ever heard of and who will make you feel underwhelmed to start off with but who turn out to be quite good. A Jackson Irvine, Liam Boyce, Scott Fraser type signing would be good. They were all signed from Scotland.

Here are Nigel Clough's signings at Burton Albion from December 2015 taken from Soccerbase

2015-2016
Stephen Bywater
Ben Turner
Harry Campbell

2016-2017
Kyle McFadzean
Jackson Irvine
Ryan Delaney
Lee Williamson
Lloyd Dyer
Shaun Barker
Marvin Sordell
Luke Varney
Matthew Lund
Liam Boyce

2017-2018
Stephen Warnock
Jake Buxton
Hope Akpan
Jamie Allen
John Brayford
Will Miller
Jack Livesey

2018-2019
David Templeton
Scott Fraser
Elliot Hodge
Stephen Quinn
Dimitar Evtimov
Junior Daniel
Ben Garratt
John-Joe O'Toole

2019-2020
Oliver Sarkic
Joe Powell
Kwame Thomas
Steven Lawless
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Yeah by Pear Cider everytime :lol:
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Yep we have, definitely did under Evans
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:00 pm

He will eventually sign for us - law of averages, the rumours will come to fruition at some point :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:50 pm

BH_Stag wrote:He will eventually sign for us - law of averages, the rumours will come to fruition at some point :lol:

We’ve still not signed Luke Beckett or Mason Bennett!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:51 pm

Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:He will eventually sign for us - law of averages, the rumours will come to fruition at some point :lol:

We’ve still not signed Luke Beckett or Mason Bennett!

One day Luke Beckett will be ours :lol:
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby robbingdog » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:24 pm

Ben Turner at centre half it is then
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby AlanStag » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:47 pm

No sight of Maynard again and Clough already ruled him out for Tuesday, I may be reading too much into it but I get the feeling he's off.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:58 pm

AlanStag wrote:No sight of Maynard again and Clough already ruled him out for Tuesday, I may be reading too much into it but I get the feeling he's off.

Not saying you are wrong but we were told he has had a scan so maybe that has shown something that rules him out a bit longer?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:59 pm

He will be out for 9 month then.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:04 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
AlanStag wrote:No sight of Maynard again and Clough already ruled him out for Tuesday, I may be reading too much into it but I get the feeling he's off.

Not saying you are wrong but we were told he has had a scan so maybe that has shown something that rules him out a bit longer?

I'm just speculating and he could genuinely be injured it just seems the timing has been convenient. First it was a dead leg which ruled him out then he picked up a strain straight after, right before Christmas and the Jan window. Even before his injury he wasn't starting games and was coming off the bench ie Dagenham.

We look short of goals up top without him so I think a striker is needed next month.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:24 pm

AlanStag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

I'm just speculating and he could genuinely be injured it just seems the timing has been convenient. First it was a dead leg which ruled him out then he picked up a strain straight after, right before Christmas and the Jan window. Even before his injury he wasn't starting games and was coming off the bench ie Dagenham.

We look short of goals up top without him so I think a striker is needed next month.

Now now don’t be starting off conspiracy theories that would be “pathetic “ :D

Maynard is quality at league 2 but personally I don’t think he has ever showed he is happy at Mansfield, even last season when he did score a few goals.

He only signed again this season after all other offers didn’t come off that was pretty obvious.

I hope he does prove me wrong and comes back and scored goals but something just doesn’t look right and I suspect he might be off in January
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 am

Can see Maynard and Cooky either sold or moved on through loans , NG sees something in Reid but for me he has time to learn and improve and would probably benefit from going out on loan too . That leaves Bowery who attracts bad press but his 1st touch and hold up play is second to non in this league he just needs better players around him and a goal scorer who will benefit from his work .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:44 am

I hope Maynard does get moved on. He’s a decent player, but his pace has gone. His conversion rate isn’t great either which suggest he’s not as clinical as people keep saying.

Get his wage freed up and find someone quick to replace him.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:53 am

Maynard has been average since he left Bury, and didn't look happy to be here when he signed first time around. He's been a big disappointment for me. Big shame, but yet another player who should have been a great signing that turned out not to be.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum