{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Wishlist

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

January Wishlist

Postby natfromboza » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:54 pm

What do we need in January? Sure Mr Clough will be signing several players. For me we need a left back (anyone know where Kieran Freeman is at the moment as he has always seemed to follow Mr Clough around), a winger who can operate on either flank (Maybe Lucas Akins who Mr Clough worked with at Burton or Bouldewin from Notts County?) and a mobile goal scoring striker (This will be the toughest one in my opinion. Would it be worth Mr Clough giving Pep a ring and trying to persuade him to loan us Delap till the end of the season to give him some proper experience? I very much doubt he would come but if you don't ask you don't get!).
Thoughts folks??
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: January Wishlist

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:26 pm

We could do with bringing in some pace up top. I would try and move Cook and Reid on.to replace them with quicker players.

A left sided midfielder to replace McLaughlin.

More competition at left back
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:35 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:We could do with bringing in some pace up top. I would try and move Cook and Reid on.to replace them with quicker players.

How about a right back that can defend?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby natfromboza » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:We could do with bringing in some pace up top. I would try and move Cook and Reid on.to replace them with quicker players.

Personally I would swap O'Keefe for Gordon.
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

We already have O'Keefe, perch, Clarke and Gordon
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:46 pm

And Riley when he recovers.

How much of the wage bill do we want to spend in a single position?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:47 pm

We definitely need another left back I think. Wingers with pace and a striker with a bit of pace to get in behind. I can see another centre half coming in with one going out on loan
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cambridgestag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm fairly certain the recent bailout means no transfer fees can be paid. And players leaving can only replaced with players on a lower salary.
cambridgestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:10 pm

cambridgestag wrote:I'm fairly certain the recent bailout means no transfer fees can be paid. And players leaving can only replaced with players on a lower salary.

I don't think we are accepting that bailout because it means we can't sign players. Pretty sure Sharpe said that in an interview
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:17 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

We already have O'Keefe, perch, Clarke and Gordon

I said defend ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:27 pm

65 shots on goal in the last three games, so we are creating plenty of chances.
We don't usually concede by many goals.

So it's simples Max Watters or similar, luckily we have the best owners and the best manager in the league,
It's the only reason any decent striker would think of coming to us.

We can sort out the defence next season, I don't see the point of spending big in January when all we need is to survive.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:27 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
cambridgestag wrote:I'm fairly certain the recent bailout means no transfer fees can be paid. And players leaving can only replaced with players on a lower salary.

I don't think we are accepting that bailout because it means we can't sign players. Pretty sure Sharpe said that in an interview

There are two elements to the bail out. The first tranche is one with no strings attached.

The second one, which we are not taking, has the strings attached were you can’t sign players with the money.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:33 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

See https://www.stagsnet.net/news/newsdetai ... ewsid=9969
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:35 pm

part time pete wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

There are two elements to the bail out. The first tranche is one with no strings attached.

The second one, which we are not taking, has the strings attached were you can’t sign players with the money.

His words regards the monitored grant " we probably won't be taking that"

If we can survive without transfers then I'd take every penny we could.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:17 pm

natfromboza wrote:What do we need in January? Sure Mr Clough will be signing several players. For me we need a left back (anyone know where Kieran Freeman is at the moment as he has always seemed to follow Mr Clough around), a winger who can operate on either flank (Maybe Lucas Akins who Mr Clough worked with at Burton or Bouldewin from Notts County?) and a mobile goal scoring striker (This will be the toughest one in my opinion. Would it be worth Mr Clough giving Pep a ring and trying to persuade him to loan us Delap till the end of the season to give him some proper experience? I very much doubt he would come but if you don't ask you don't get!).
Thoughts folks??

Freeman made his Premier League debut as a sub for Sheff Urd earlier this season. I think if he moves he'll go to a Champ club.

Lucas Akins would be brilliant for us but I think he'd be one of Burtons group of highest paid players so may be out of our reach, although I'm sure he'd love to work with Nigel again.

A more realistic target may be another Kieran at Burton. Kieran Wallace, a local lad, a left back/defensive midfielder who won't be on bag loads of cash but I think we're pretty happy with the central midfielders we've got.

They're out watching a lot of games at League Two level, there's a lad at Carlisle John Meillish who has 10 goals in all competitions, he'd do for me.

He usually looks for players who can play in more than position and both Wallace and Akins certainly tick that box.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:33 pm

How about letting your full backs spend time defending and not always trying to create chances?

At one time an attacking full back was someone who, once in a while, pushed forward. Now they are expected to be a winger rather than spending time in defence.

Gordon should be played as a winger, defending is not his best asset.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:18 pm

I think O’keefe was MOM at left back in our first home game
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:38 pm

January wishlist :to be allowed back into the Mill
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:47 pm

Left sided midfielder perhaps? I believe Mclaughlin will be gone in January and may not play for us again if he's still injured through this month. Certainly not impressed since Clough arrived.

I feel we miss some pace at the back, Wouldn't might another CB or some competition for Mal who is coasting through games a little, though has been better recently.

Doesn't need too much adding because were creating bags of chances.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:13 pm

With Nigel now in charge we have enough in the present squad to easily survive this season. The plan has to be to mount a challenge for automatic promotion next year. So we don't have to bring players in d for the sake of it. Wait for players that will be good enough to be in the starting 11 of a top three team. If they are available in January OK, if not wait till the summer.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:31 pm

wink68 wrote:With Nigel now in charge we have enough in the present squad to easily survive this season. The plan has to be to mount a challenge for automatic promotion next year. So we don't have to bring players in d for the sake of it. Wait for players that will be good enough to be in the starting 11 of a top three team. If they are available in January OK, if not wait till the summer.

Imo i dont think the goal will be automatic promotion.

Not publicly anyway i think the owners have learnt there lesson.

More than likely it will be a squad which will be built to compete for top 7.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Lapslie on a permanent deal please.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:53 pm

wink68 wrote:With Nigel now in charge we have enough in the present squad to easily survive this season. The plan has to be to mount a challenge for automatic promotion next year. So we don't have to bring players in d for the sake of it. Wait for players that will be good enough to be in the starting 11 of a top three team. If they are available in January OK, if not wait till the summer.

I doubt we will go for automatic promotion next season, we expected it rather stupidly this season after coming 21st last year and look where it got us. Yes Nigel Clough is a fantastic manager but he isn't a miracle worker. If the expectation is immediately a top three finish and he gets us play offs, is he another "failure"? build on this season where ever we may finish and go from there

I do agree with your last point. We do not need to sign players for the sake of it, if they will do just for now give them short deals until the summer.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:58 pm

We need a goal scorer.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:We need a goal scorer.

who would you want in January?

I see Tyler Walker struggling at Coventry ;)
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum