{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Road Ahead

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Road Ahead

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:26 pm

bear 73 wrote:I agree money thats what we want, so lets get through and the best chance non= league at home, The way forward is a long road with goals set that are achievable at the beginning of a season, and not judged till the end of the season [ unless results become unsustainable to achieve the goal set ] this season revised goal avoid relegation.
With our fan base playoffs next season should be our goal. We must remember we are limited to a wage bill so players of real quality wont want league two kick n rush.
So like a jigsaw puzzle we find the pieces, this takes time and patience knowing our best players will be cherry picked by richer clubs, we have a bonus our wage structure can match any in league 2. The downward spiral is when clubs in your own division take you best players, league 1 could be a challenge with x championship clubs having far superior fan bases and revenue.
So Clough has a massive challenge after a top 7 finish in league 2, thoughts new playing surface==new stand=more parking, average gate league 1 = 17-000.
So our journey has many disappointments and highs just had one with our F_A+cup win. So lets remember patience is the hardest thing in football, and im sure no one wants out of this league more than Clough

Bear makes a good related point.

With the wage cap meaning that the highest wages will cap out for League Two players (and I accept it’s a squad cap but that will feed into the max that clubs can pay) will that mean the facilities, the manager, the team and the quality of football will become more important to recruits than previously?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:53 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:I agree money thats what we want, so lets get through and the best chance non= league at home, The way forward is a long road with goals set that are achievable at the beginning of a season, and not judged till the end of the season [ unless results become unsustainable to achieve the goal set ] this season revised goal avoid relegation.
With our fan base playoffs next season should be our goal. We must remember we are limited to a wage bill so players of real quality wont want league two kick n rush.
So like a jigsaw puzzle we find the pieces, this takes time and patience knowing our best players will be cherry picked by richer clubs, we have a bonus our wage structure can match any in league 2. The downward spiral is when clubs in your own division take you best players, league 1 could be a challenge with x championship clubs having far superior fan bases and revenue.
So Clough has a massive challenge after a top 7 finish in league 2, thoughts new playing surface==new stand=more parking, average gate league 1 = 17-000.
So our journey has many disappointments and highs just had one with our F_A+cup win. So lets remember patience is the hardest thing in football, and im sure no one wants out of this league more than Clough

Bear makes a good related point.

With the wage cap meaning that the highest wages will cap out for League Two players (and I accept it’s a squad cap but that will feed into the max that clubs can pay) will that mean the facilities, the manager, the team and the quality of football will become more important to recruits than previously?

I agree but don’t forget that you can pay a promotion bonus which isn’t attached to the overall wage bill. Astute players will be looking at squads that have a realistic chance of automatic promotion so they can get the bonus when they go up. The bigger the bonus the more chance good players will come but only if the chance of promotion is realistic.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Good point. I wonder if this skews the January window in favour of clubs higher in the league.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby AlanStag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Could we not have a bonus for staying up? I know some don't agree with it, but it gives them incentive to stay up and a way to compete with other clubs who are offering promotion bonuses. I think it will be a case of players wanting to join those at the top under normal circumstances, not many players want to join a side near the bottom of the league COVID or not.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:19 pm

AlanStag wrote:Could we not have a bonus for staying up? I know some don't agree with it, but it gives them incentive to stay up and a way to compete with other clubs who are offering promotion bonuses. I think it will be a case of players wanting to join those at the top under normal circumstances, not many players want to join a side near the bottom of the league COVID or not.

No. Unfortunately not. Only for promotion or ‘directly linked to cup progression’.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum