{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:35 pm





Last edited by Son Of Sherwood on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
User avatar
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Weston-super-Mare

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:36 pm

Can't watch that after his opening line, deluded!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6676
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Find the comments about numbers strange. Four weeks ago he was happy with the squad, we’ve only lost Rose since then and now we’re 3 or 4 players short of where he wants to be?

He’s definitely unhappy about Rose leaving. A not so subtle dig at Sharpe/Radfords in there it would seem.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby zygon2003 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Urgh! Another failing manager with one of the best budgets in the league and still claiming it’s not enough. Murray was the only manager who didn’t seem to whine about what he was working with and signed the best players.
zygon2003
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby lancer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:55 pm

We have laid a ghost to rest and proved we can hold on!!!!!!!
Against a that should be conference
Sorry but resign now as your expectations are well below ours
User avatar
lancer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm

At least he has finally clicked on that we don’t have enough in midfield!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby The One » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Find the comments about numbers strange. Four weeks ago he was happy with the squad, we’ve only lost Rose since then and now we’re 3 or 4 players short of where he wants to be?

He’s definitely unhappy about Rose leaving. A not so subtle dig at Sharpe/Radfords in there it would seem.


I was surprised when he said 15 excluding kids and two gone who he had in his plans. He is peed off re Rose going.
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:25 pm

That interview was just painful...

Hes running out of ideas......Fast.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Sounds like a man with no idea how to break down a team that’s happy with a point.

News flash, if you want to be near the top, more and more teams will be happy to come here and take a point. If Stevenage have managed to make it ‘really difficult’ for us with their ‘red wall’ then wait until we play teams of higher quality!

Agree with Musings above, his comments about wanting 3/4 more are baffling. 10-14 days back he was delighted with his team. Now all of a sudden he’s missing 3 or 4 that he wanted in his 11 from the off. His subtle digs at the hierarchy regarding that won’t do him any favours either, not when we’ve played 8 won 0 anyway!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:32 pm

GC is usually very honest in his post match interviews. He was not tonight which is worrying because a manager then starts to lose the fans. He should have said it was pleasing that we dominated possession and kept a clean sheet but the quality of our football and passing was poor. We played too deep and sat back too much and we needed to be more positive and improve the quality of our short passing and movement to try and play through the thirds and get the ball out wide to our wing backs or to the feet of our forwards.

It doesn't matter how many midfield players we have if we don't play through midfield. Stevenage worked out like Lincoln that if they just let our back six have the ball then they just need to sit back and wait for us to lose possession.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7597
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:43 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Sounds like a man with no idea how to break down a team that’s happy with a point.

News flash, if you want to be near the top, more and more teams will be happy to come here and take a point. If Stevenage have managed to make it ‘really difficult’ for us with their ‘red wall’ then wait until we play teams of higher quality!

Agree with Musings above, his comments about wanting 3/4 more are baffling. 10-14 days back he was delighted with his team. Now all of a sudden he’s missing 3 or 4 that he wanted in his 11 from the off. His subtle digs at the hierarchy regarding that won’t do him any favours either, not when we’ve played 8 won 0 anyway!


really didn't like the way he brought it up...

"from a frustrating point of view myself, not having a number of players we set out to have at the start of the season to have in my team and part of my starting 11... probably 3/4 players we don't have" clearly having a go blaming someone else for not getting his targets when the other week he was delighted with the team he built???
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Sounds like a man with no idea how to break down a team that’s happy with a point.

News flash, if you want to be near the top, more and more teams will be happy to come here and take a point. If Stevenage have managed to make it ‘really difficult’ for us with their ‘red wall’ then wait until we play teams of higher quality!

Agree with Musings above, his comments about wanting 3/4 more are baffling. 10-14 days back he was delighted with his team. Now all of a sudden he’s missing 3 or 4 that he wanted in his 11 from the off. His subtle digs at the hierarchy regarding that won’t do him any favours either, not when we’ve played 8 won 0 anyway!


really didn't like the way he brought it up...

"from a frustrating point of view myself, not having a number of players we set out to have at the start of the season to have in my team and part of my starting 11... probably 3/4 players we don't have" clearly having a go blaming someone else for not getting his targets when the other week he was delighted with the team he built???



Could that be Hamilton, Rose, Riley and Tomlinson?
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby West Ham 1969 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:46 pm

He must have been watching a different game. Stevenage celebrating a draw at full time....bull crap...they were probably getting a rollicking because they should have won. We were very lucky to keep a clean sheet today. Stech nearly gifted them one and the one that hit the bar was a real scare. Thought Perch and Maris were ok, other than them no one really shone for me. Clock ticking for Keystone Coughlan!
West Ham 1969
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby AlanStag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:56 pm

As a guess he wanted his team to be:

Stech
Rollin
Rawson
Sweeney
Riley - lost through injury
Clarke
Ogogo - heavily rumoured
McLaughlin - one of the first rumours but didn’t sign until the season was under way
Charsley/Another? - mentioned wanting to sign an attacking player in his interview
Rose - Seems like we offered him a contract at the start of the season and he’s ended up sold
Maynard - Similar to McLaughlin, signed late on

I have some sympathy with Riley and Ollie Clarke’s injuries as they are out of everyone’s control.

The problem is any other manager we bring in is going to say they need to bring in their own players so we start this circus again. I think he has a point that we are short so if things don’t improve with any new additions then there’s no excuses.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Riley was injury prone before we signed him
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Sounds like a man with no idea how to break down a team that’s happy with a point.

News flash, if you want to be near the top, more and more teams will be happy to come here and take a point. If Stevenage have managed to make it ‘really difficult’ for us with their ‘red wall’ then wait until we play teams of higher quality!

Agree with Musings above, his comments about wanting 3/4 more are baffling. 10-14 days back he was delighted with his team. Now all of a sudden he’s missing 3 or 4 that he wanted in his 11 from the off. His subtle digs at the hierarchy regarding that won’t do him any favours either, not when we’ve played 8 won 0 anyway!


really didn't like the way he brought it up...

"from a frustrating point of view myself, not having a number of players we set out to have at the start of the season to have in my team and part of my starting 11... probably 3/4 players we don't have" clearly having a go blaming someone else for not getting his targets when the other week he was delighted with the team he built???



Could that be Hamilton, Rose, Riley and Tomlinson?


Doubt it, I think he means new signings
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Spiritater » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:That interview was just painful...

Hes running out of ideas......Fast.

Running out of ideas... more like run out.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 21253
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:59 am

Captain Cunno wrote:That interview was just painful...

Hes running out of ideas......Fast.


Clutching at straws.

The problems are of our own making.

The creative players were the first to go last season and now he complains when teams sit in saying we don’t have the answer!

On the numbers debate the two i’d say we are down on in his plans are Rose and Tomlinson. We’d still be short of something creative with those two in the squad in my opinion.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:48 am

Well Graham, after sleeping on it and in the cold light of day, yesterday was still absolute garbage
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6676
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:00 am

Alex Revell's Post Match Comments on Three Counties Radio - 34m

He said it was a point gained. Their keeper did not have a save to make. They worked hard and created chances. They broke well. Effiong's performance up front was huge. Clean sheet. Good work rate from Jack Aitchson. Two young lads in midfield were magnificent - Arthur Read (20) and Jack Smith (19). Mansfield are a good side and have good players.

34m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08sv1s5
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7597
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby The One » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:35 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Alex Revell's Post Match Comments on Three Counties Radio - 34m

He said it was a point gained. Their keeper did not have a save to make. They worked hard and created chances. They broke well. Effiong's performance up front was huge. Clean sheet. Good work rate from Jack Aitchson. Two young lads in midfield were magnificent - Arthur Read (20) and Jack Smith (19). Mansfield are a good side and have good players.

34m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08sv1s5



Hope you have edited out the regular 5 minute updates on the state of the M25 :P

Is that the Reville that used to play for Rotherham?
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:49 am

Kinda worrying that our experienced midfield 3 barely competed with their 19 and 20 year old midfield 2.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6737
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:20 am

Will be an interesting week.

Coughlan wants more bodies, but if Sharpe is thinking about a change in the manger any time soon then will he be inclined to back him on his targets?

Suppose he has to, the squad does need more quality in certain areas regardless of who is in charge so hopefully we get that resolved.

I think he will have another 5 games at least, unless we lose the next 3 on the spin say, which could feasibly leave us bottom.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:04 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Will be an interesting week.

Coughlan wants more bodies, but if Sharpe is thinking about a change in the manger any time soon then will he be inclined to back him on his targets?

Suppose he has to, the squad does need more quality in certain areas regardless of who is in charge so hopefully we get that resolved.

I think he will have another 5 games at least, unless we lose the next 3 on the spin say, which could feasibly leave us bottom.


Cant see us getting a point against the next three... one including a trip to morecambe how sad is that.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:08 pm

To be fair it'd be a very "mansfield" thing to do to go and smash the league leaders. Then poor results follow.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6737
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Paulstag, staggered218, yellowstagsfan and 29 guests