{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Prep for fans returning/bail-out/Project big picture etc

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Prep for fans returning/bail-out/Project big picture etc

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:22 am

Manchester's German Christmas Market is huge. You could walk for half an hour and not get from end to end. All cancelled this year. These things are outdoors so the risk will be low, but it's surprising that Nottingham went ahead. Although the real risk is family visits over Christmas, but I suppose that there's nothing to stop them.

Mansfield is down to 121 per 100000 in the last 7 days. Taking into account the rate of decline, we'd be a candidate for tier 2. Bassetlaw is the problem though, at 261 they may keep the county in tier 3. I hope that drops this week and gives us a chance. Nottingham is 157.4. The national figure is 151.4.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 am

Bradders wrote:Manchester's German Christmas Market is huge. You could walk for half an hour and not get from end to end. All cancelled this year. These things are outdoors so the risk will be low, but it's surprising that Nottingham went ahead. Although the real risk is family visits over Christmas, but I suppose that there's nothing to stop them.

Mansfield is down to 121 per 100000 in the last 7 days. Taking into account the rate of decline, we'd be a candidate for tier 2. Bassetlaw is the problem though, at 261 they may keep the county in tier 3. I hope that drops this week and gives us a chance. Nottingham is 157.4. The national figure is 151.4.

Thanks for those figures
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am

Trouble is that if that shitshow at the market causes a spike in Notts, it’ll drag the whole County down. It’s insane that they thought it was a good idea to run it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am

Ultimately it's down to the populace to decide whether to attend said market.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:48 am

True, but some folk'll lose the will to live if they can't go shopping everyday, it's like a drug, they've absolutely nothing else in their sad lives.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:05 am

bellwhiff wrote:Trouble is that if that shitshow at the market causes a spike in Notts, it’ll drag the whole County down. It’s insane that they thought it was a good idea to run it.

Its bizarre because after all the protests, people on beaches etc in the summer, like when there was a gathering of about 20,000 in Manchester there was never a spike from it.

I think the WHO actually said outdoor gatherings don't tend to spread it, although Im not sure how thats true with an airborne disease? :?

still not sure there was even a second wave or spike, just as capacity for testing goes up so will the number of cases you find. We cant run from it forever, over 99% survival rate, average age of death the same as the uk average anyway and we've destroyed the economy over it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:22 am

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Trouble is that if that shitshow at the market causes a spike in Notts, it’ll drag the whole County down. It’s insane that they thought it was a good idea to run it.

Its bizarre because after all the protests, people on beaches etc in the summer, like when there was a gathering of about 20,000 in Manchester there was never a spike from it.

I think the WHO actually said outdoor gatherings don't tend to spread it, although Im not sure how thats true with an airborne disease? :?

still not sure there was even a second wave or spike, just as capacity for testing goes up so will the number of cases you find. We cant run from it forever, over 99% survival rate, average age of death the same as the uk average anyway and we've destroyed the economy over it.

The lack of spike following outdoor gatherings would suggest the infection rate outside is reduced.

Schools, Universities, work and supermarkets seem to places where transmission is highest.

BTW a 1% death rate if the virus was left unchecked would result in 650,000 to 700,000 deaths.

A colleague's daughter died of Covid last week. She was 28.
Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 am

Sneag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

The lack of spike following outdoor gatherings would suggest the infection rate outside is reduced.

Schools, Universities, work and supermarkets seem to places where transmission is highest.

BTW a 1% death rate if the virus was left unchecked would result in 650,000 to 700,000 deaths.

A colleague's daughter died of Covid last week. She was 28.

And as I have pointed out on here on numerous occasions, the death rate may be the figure that everyone is concentrating on, but it is also the long tern impacts that people who have 'recovered' are suffering that need to be considered. Previously healthy people left with permanent damage to lungs, heart, and other vital organs. These people could end up permanently 'disabled' with their quality of life destroyed and their job prospects in tatters. Apart from the massive impact on the welfare state, how would these healthy "I'm all right jack, it's only old folks dying" people in their 20s and 30s feel if they were left unable to work for the rest of their lives ?
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:36 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Ultimately it's down to the populace to decide whether to attend said market.

Well that's the point, we've all seen at first hand that the "populace" can't be trusted to do the right thing so decisions like this have to be taken out of their hands, as they have in Lincoln and Manchester.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:39 pm

Nottingham Christmas market "temporarily " closed after 1 day apparently.
Rigsby
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:49 pm

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Ultimately it's down to the populace to decide whether to attend said market.

Well that's the point, we've all seen at first hand that the "populace" can't be trusted to do the right thing so decisions like this have to be taken out of their hands, as they have in Lincoln and Manchester.

'Think how stupid the average man in the street is, then realize half the population are stupider than that.' George Carlin.
Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Rigsby wrote:Nottingham Christmas market "temporarily " closed after 1 day apparently.

I bet the rent for each stall has been taken, it's all about the money.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:00 pm

Carol Shanahan, the owner of Part Vale, says that they have lost £1 million of income this season. They sold 4,000 season tickets.

"I have to be totally honest and say that the Government have been particularly unhelpful, offering little or no financial help. Meanwhile, you – the Port Vale supporters – have been phenomenal."

"I want to thank you, the supporters, on behalf of myself and everyone at the club for the way you have backed myself, Kevin and the club through this most unpredictable and challenging of years. Without your support, with the absence of fans at games and significant revenue from hospitality, Port Vale would be even more disadvantaged."

"However, even with this money, with increased merchandise sales and grant aid amounting to around £400,000 from the Premier League, your club will find itself almost £1 million down in terms of the anticipated revenue for this season. We will, of course, continue to work to reduce this shortfall and Kevin and I will continue to support the club financially but that deficit is the stark reality facing our club at this time. A reality inflicted upon us by the pandemic. A reality which colours everything."

"Following the excitement of our trip to Man City back in January we went on a good run of results on the pitch and were building in confidence and optimism when suddenly I found myself in an EFL meeting voting to stop the season while Port Vale sat just a point outside the playoffs. It’s a moment that will live with me always, having to make a decision that felt like (and I am sure was) the right thing for football at that time – even if it didn’t give us at Port Vale what we wanted, deserved and had worked so hard for."

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... nt-4845584
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:15 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Carol Shanahan, the owner of Part Vale, says that they have lost £1 million of income this season. They sold 4,000 season tickets.

"I have to be totally honest and say that the Government have been particularly unhelpful, offering little or no financial help. Meanwhile, you – the Port Vale supporters – have been phenomenal."

"I want to thank you, the supporters, on behalf of myself and everyone at the club for the way you have backed myself, Kevin and the club through this most unpredictable and challenging of years. Without your support, with the absence of fans at games and significant revenue from hospitality, Port Vale would be even more disadvantaged."

"However, even with this money, with increased merchandise sales and grant aid amounting to around £400,000 from the Premier League, your club will find itself almost £1 million down in terms of the anticipated revenue for this season. We will, of course, continue to work to reduce this shortfall and Kevin and I will continue to support the club financially but that deficit is the stark reality facing our club at this time. A reality inflicted upon us by the pandemic. A reality which colours everything."

"Following the excitement of our trip to Man City back in January we went on a good run of results on the pitch and were building in confidence and optimism when suddenly I found myself in an EFL meeting voting to stop the season while Port Vale sat just a point outside the playoffs. It’s a moment that will live with me always, having to make a decision that felt like (and I am sure was) the right thing for football at that time – even if it didn’t give us at Port Vale what we wanted, deserved and had worked so hard for."

I am not in any way trying to make light of the loss of income suffered by clubs, but not once in any of these articles this season has a club official made reference to the cost savings from not opening the grounds to spectators. Obviously clubs are still making a loss compared to previous seasons, but it would be interesting to see what the net differences are rather than the headline grabbing loss of income figures.
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Carol Shanahan, the owner of Part Vale, says that they have lost £1 million of income this season. They sold 4,000 season tickets.

I am not in any way trying to make light of the loss of income suffered by clubs, but not once in any of these articles this season has a club official made reference to the cost savings from not opening the grounds to spectators. Obviously clubs are still making a loss compared to previous seasons, but it would be interesting to see what the net differences are rather than the headline grabbing loss of income figures.

I’ve been thinking the same.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:29 pm

"The chairman of National League South side Concord Rangers says his team will not play again until concerns over the funding of elite non-league sides and "Covid-19 testing are addressed. National League sides are being offered loans by the government to continue to play behind closed doors. Teams started the season thanks to £10m in grants from the government. But clubs are worried about the financial implications of taking on loans to cover costs due to Covid-19. Concord, who are 18th in National League South, were due to host Havant and Waterlooville on Saturday but the game has been postponed as The Hawks are self-isolating.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) has offered a further £11m in loans to National League sides as part of their £300m emergency funding package for sports hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. Clubs met on Wednesday and were told that they would either have to take out loans or suspend their season. "I have chaired our club for just over 20 years and during that time we have never borrowed a penny and we certainly would not be looking to start now," Antony Smith wrote on social media."My personal belief is that if we cannot get the DCMS decision overturned then the season should be suspended, and a decision made on null and void or points per game."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:31 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 pm

The Radfords are putting a lot less into the club than they were. Less than half the amount the used to. Luckily the SP bar could be refurbished due to the leak during the lockdown so didn’t incur loss of income from fans etc and the 400K means we are ok financially. It appears other clubs aren’t so fortunate. Thank goodness for JR. COYS.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:54 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:"The chairman of National League South side Concord Rangers says his team will not play again until concerns over the funding of elite non-league sides and "Covid-19 testing are addressed. National League sides are being offered loans by the government to continue to play behind closed doors. Teams started the season thanks to £10m in grants from the government. But clubs are worried about the financial implications of taking on loans to cover costs due to Covid-19. Concord, who are 18th in National League South, were due to host Havant and Waterlooville on Saturday but the game has been postponed as The Hawks are self-isolating.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) has offered a further £11m in loans to National League sides as part of their £300m emergency funding package for sports hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. Clubs met on Wednesday and were told that they would either have to take out loans or suspend their season. "I have chaired our club for just over 20 years and during that time we have never borrowed a penny and we certainly would not be looking to start now," Antony Smith wrote on social media."My personal belief is that if we cannot get the DCMS decision overturned then the season should be suspended, and a decision made on null and void or points per game."

I applaud the stance taken by Concord Rangers. What the NFL have done here is shift the decision making and onus of curtailing the season to those who they have been appointed to serve. The NFL may not have a high enough profile to survive the season being finished short. It’s a rock and a hard place for them, do they continue and incur costs knowing the season may not be completed or do they borrow money and the season may not be completed? If, as the Chairman says, through prudent fiscal acumen the club has got where it has why should they have to ‘follow the herd’ and become a money pit to continue in football.

It is coming up to the first anniversary of this awful pandemic and yet this is all management board of the NFL can come up with? A multiple choice version of suicide.

It’s a good job that Rick Parry and his ilk at the EFL are a much better management board. Oh wait......
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:59 pm

Fans allowed into the World Snooker Champs and one of the FA Cup Finals in April amongst other events, could it be that we may yet get a game or two in before the end of the season? Not entirely sure it would be worth it but it would be nice to suffer the misery in person!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:03 pm

Rob wrote:Fans allowed into the World Snooker Champs and one of the FA Cup Finals in April amongst other events, could it be that we may yet get a game or two in before the end of the season? Not entirely sure it would be worth it but it would be nice to suffer the misery in person!

I'm sure there are some on here who would like nothing more than to chuck some abuse at Reid :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:00 am

Rob wrote:Fans allowed into the World Snooker Champs and one of the FA Cup Finals in April amongst other events, could it be that we may yet get a game or two in before the end of the season? Not entirely sure it would be worth it but it would be nice to suffer the misery in person!
I doubt it Rob.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm

Not gonna happen Rob.
These are pilot events that will be closely monitored with a view to how restrictions will be released going forwards. Major events have been chosen as they can be kept under close control by government officials and sporting bodies. There is no way this will filter down to our level before our season ends. Other than a small number of selected pilot events, sports venues will not be seeing any crowds until May 17 at the earliest.
My other hobby of stock car racing, which (as an amateur sport) did hold meetings with restricted crowds between July and October last year, have released fixture lists beginning the weekend of May 22 for this year. If they aren't confident of opening any sooner this year when they were allowed to last year, then there is no chance of professional/elite sports doing so.
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:38 pm

They are arguing again today in a meeting of all 72 league clubs.
They want a 20 man limit on squad size, also talk of moving play offs to a later date.
Under 18s not being allowed into grounds due to no covid vaccinations.
There is talk of the pfa going to arbitration about the squad limit.

Here we go again.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:11 pm

chip63 wrote:They are arguing again today in a meeting of all 72 league clubs.
They want a 20 man limit on squad size, also talk of moving play offs to a later date.
Under 18s not being allowed into grounds due to no covid vaccinations.
There is talk of the pfa going to arbitration about the squad limit.

Here we go again.

Squad size limit... No. 60 odd games, you're just going to need more than that over a season.
No under 18's.. No. Even if you're vaccinated you can still carry and pass on this "deadly" virus so what difference does it make.

Load of nonsense.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum