{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Playing for time

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Playing for time

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:49 pm

8 mins left...

Just play the way that got us into that winning position.

Poor last 10
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Playing for time

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Chander Lear wrote:8 mins left...

Just play he way that got us into that winning position.

Poor last 10

Pure stupidity, don't know if it came from the sidelines, if so, the manager cost us 2 points with negative tactics.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:59 pm

The keep pressing for90 minutes comments we keep hearing were well and truly forgotten after 80 minutes . Stupid really because they were on the back foot till we decided change tactics. They did not win a point today we lost 2 .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Very frustrating.

Can’t see it being an instruction from the sidelines. We’ve never done it before under GC, even last season when relegation was a possibility.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Why go into defense when you are 2 up. They have to go forward leaving space at the back

Worrying style of play Dempster, Murray and now Coughlan. Soon we will be back to 1 up - strikers off and defenders on
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:15 pm

As I’ve said on another thread, don’t agree with the easy bashing of ‘time wasting’. Clarke follows his man, we win the game. We didn’t draw the game because we wasted time. In fact, we successfully wasted 4 of those 8 minutes with the ball in the corner.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:16 pm

I thought it was a stupid idea. We could have nicked a third if we'd kept on pressing and the time wasting from a corner we had took up less time than putting the ball in the box. The time wasting also allowed Orient to have confidence we weren't going to catch them on the break because they knew we wouldn't try and score so they could press forward for the equaliser.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:35 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:As I’ve said on another thread, don’t agree with the easy bashing of ‘time wasting’. Clarke follows his man, we win the game. We didn’t draw the game because we wasted time. In fact, we successfully wasted 4 of those 8 minutes with the ball in the corner.

No we didn't, we squandered possession quickly and needlessly . We called it on the score thread before they equalised. We had a free kick, we put one attacker in the box and played it short, then lost the ball instantly. This was with plenty of time left, get a third you've won, at the least keep the pressure on. Poor tactics and an error from Clarke, who was otherwise excellent cost 2 points.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:36 pm

sunray wrote:Why go into defense when you are 2 up. They have to go forward leaving space at the back

Worrying style of play Dempster, Murray and now Coughlan. Soon we will be back to 1 up - strikers off and defenders on

All managers do it because 90% of the time it works
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:As I’ve said on another thread, don’t agree with the easy bashing of ‘time wasting’. Clarke follows his man, we win the game. We didn’t draw the game because we wasted time. In fact, we successfully wasted 4 of those 8 minutes with the ball in the corner.

No we didn't, we squandered possession quickly and needlessly . We called it on the score thread before they equalised. We had a free kick, we put one attacker in the box and played it short, then lost the ball instantly. This was with plenty of time left, get a third you've won, at the least keep the pressure on. Poor tactics and an error from Clarke, who was otherwise excellent cost 2 points.

We squandered possession down in the corner flag, 90 yards from our own goal, after winning two throw ins, a corner and a free kick. The only time we opted not to time waste, we have the ball to their keeper and they built an attack.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:41 pm

One of George Michaels best i reckon...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Pathetic last 10 minutes. Threw away 2 points. I trust it wasn't the managers decision.
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Stockportstag wrote:Pathetic last 10 minutes. Threw away 2 points. I trust it wasn't the managers decision.

It wasn't according to the post-match
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby 88BenM » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Coughlan says the players were playing 'from their own hymn sheet' in the last 10 minutes. You could almost see the fume lines coming from him.

Great 7 minute long interview with him.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:One of George Michaels best i reckon...

:lol: :lol: Underrated post this.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:02 pm

88BenM wrote:Coughlan says the players were playing 'from their own hymn sheet' in the last 10 minutes. You could almost see the fume lines coming from him.

So why didn't he bring on an experienced player on like Perch with instructions to tell them to stop messing about ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:11 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
88BenM wrote:Coughlan says the players were playing 'from their own hymn sheet' in the last 10 minutes. You could almost see the fume lines coming from him.

So why didn't he bring on an experienced player on like Perch with instructions to tell them to stop messing about ?

He could have easily done it himself. He was 20 yards away from them on his side of the pitch.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:46 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He could have easily done it himself. He was 20 yards away from them on his side of the pitch.

Maybe he should have done both.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:58 pm

I don’t want to watch time waisting like that to me it was pretty shameful
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Most teams do it, however we seem to fall foul of it more than most. Maybe just perceptions.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:53 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:I thought it was a stupid idea. We could have nicked a third if we'd kept on pressing and the time wasting from a corner we had took up less time than putting the ball in the box. The time wasting also allowed Orient to have confidence we weren't going to catch them on the break because they knew we wouldn't try and score so they could press forward for the equaliser.

Spot on!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:20 pm

On reflection. Time wasting was cack
Good performance overall though.

Charley, o'Keefe and cook. Clarke also bar a couple of gltiches
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:47 pm

We need to keep going forward as promotion teams are usually very good at winning or drawing games by scoring goals in the last 5-10 minutes. You always see this in the stats. A very good sign for Orient who have scored late goals in all three games in the last week - Oldham (89th minute), Plymouth (93rd minute) and Mansfield (92nd minute).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:16 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need to keep going forward as promotion teams are usually very good at winning or drawing games by scoring goals in the last 5-10 minutes. You always see this in the stats. A very good sign for Orient who have scored late goals in all three games in the last week - Oldham (89th minute), Plymouth (93rd minute) and Mansfield (92nd minute).

I agree completely, I am certain we would have won that game had we continued to press forward and attack rather than run into the corner flag and give the ball back to them. Those tactics waste very little time and hand over the initiative back to the opposition. As you say the best sides continue to press and will probably only start going that sort of thing in the 90th minute, not the 80th minute!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Upper West » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:52 am

We also allowed Orient to take a breather and time to have a quick tactical discussion before their final assault on our goal by making a substitution in the 90th minute.

Was Cook injured? He was booked a few minutes earlier.

If you look at stoppage time goals you will often find that a substitution has been made shortly before.

Managers seem to think they are wasting time by making substitution but the time will get added on.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum