{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan + Perch press conference, Thu 27 Aug

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coughlan + Perch press conference, Thu 27 Aug

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:05 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Coughlan + Perch press conference, Thu 27 Aug

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Chad article by Duncan Browne , as John Lomas packed in :?:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:34 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:

Chad article by Duncan Browne , as John Lomas packed in :?:

he has been furloughed I think, and probably still is. Stephen Thirkill has been covering Mansfield, but was on holiday today.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby S7AGS » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:53 pm

I don’t understand our seemingly lack of preseason games? I understand it’s very difficult for obvious reasons but we have played a couple of games versus kids and a proper game last week and don’t have anything planned even for a week on Saturday which will make a 2 week gap with not game before the opener!?

I’m sure something will get set up but seems odd we seem to be arranging ad hoc games...!
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:03 pm

A Lincoln fan I know said that we should have played Lincoln this Saturday before the Preston game was moved.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:47 pm

We had 5 games planned, the last of which was due to be Saturday before the League Cup game which was expected to be next Saturday. It’s probably one less that you would usually expect but we’ve got the cup starting earlier.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:51 am

And a tie in the mickey mouse cup on the 8th.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am

Gutted we never played Retford, does JR still own it ?

i think Nik Springthorpe went back to Onecall so unsure what’s happened to owd Retford, i’m sure Tippy Tappy can enlighten us ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:05 am

Wouldn’t mind a game being lined up against non-league opposition next week. Would be nice to rack up a few goals hopefully and breed a bit of confidence a week before the new season (even if it is against lowly opposition).

Understand that it’s good to test ourselves against teams like Peterborough, Burton, Rotherham and obviously Preston coming up was out of our hands, but need to strike a balance. I know it’s only friendlies but it won’t do our mindset any favours if we’ve been beaten throughout pre-season and then don’t get a positive result opening day.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Gutted we never played Retford, does JR still own it ? i think Nik Springthorpe went back to Onecall so unsure what’s happened to owd Retford, i’m sure Tippy Tappy can enlighten us ?

I have not spoken to my Retford United mates lately as I've not been to the pub (or the swimming pool!) where I normally bump into them. As far as I'm aware, Nik Springthorpe is still Chairman. He's one of JR's directors at One Call. Retford United look like they have put together a strong squad and I expect them to to get promoted from the Central Midlands (Step 7) this season. They were 3rd last season before the lockdown behind Newark Town and Dinnington Town. They have beaten Clipstone (Step 6) and Hallam (Step 6) in friendlies and drawn with Heanor (Step 7) and Maltby Main (Step 5). They have also signed a former Coventry City acacdemy player. You would have thought that they would be tapping into some of the young Stags college lads at Brooksby. They should easily be strong enough for the Central Midlands though with their existing experienced non league players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:22 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Gutted we never played Retford, does JR still own it ? i think Nik Springthorpe went back to Onecall so unsure what’s happened to owd Retford, i’m sure Tippy Tappy can enlighten us ?

I have not spoken to my Retford United mates lately as I've not been to the pub (or the swimming pool!) where I normally bump into them. As far as I'm aware, Nik Springthorpe is still Chairman. He's one of JR's directors at One Call. Retford United look like they have put together a strong squad and I expect them to to get promoted from the Central Midlands (Step 7) this season. They were 3rd last season before the lockdown behind Newark Town and Dinnington Town. They have beaten Clipstone (Step 6) and Hallam (Step 6) in friendlies and drawn with Heanor (Step 7) and Maltby Main (Step 5). They have also signed a former Coventry City acacdemy player. You would have thought that they would be tapping into some of the young Stags college lads at Brooksby. They should easily be strong enough for the Central Midlands though with their existing experienced non league players.

cheers mate
might go see a few games next season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:51 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I have not spoken to my Retford United mates lately as I've not been to the pub (or the swimming pool!) where I normally bump into them. As far as I'm aware, Nik Springthorpe is still Chairman. He's one of JR's directors at One Call. Retford United look like they have put together a strong squad and I expect them to to get promoted from the Central Midlands (Step 7) this season. They were 3rd last season before the lockdown behind Newark Town and Dinnington Town. They have beaten Clipstone (Step 6) and Hallam (Step 6) in friendlies and drawn with Heanor (Step 6) and Maltby Main (Step 5). They have also signed a former Coventry City acacdemy player. You would have thought that they would be tapping into some of the young Stags college lads at Brooksby. They should easily be strong enough for the Central Midlands though with their existing experienced non league players.

cheers mate
might go see a few games next season
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Retford United have just announced that "Chairman" Nik Springthorpe is sponsoring Illack Tongo Chiti (lad from Coventry City) for the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Wouldn’t mind a game being lined up against non-league opposition next week. Would be nice to rack up a few goals hopefully and breed a bit of confidence a week before the new season (even if it is against lowly opposition).

Understand that it’s good to test ourselves against teams like Peterborough, Burton, Rotherham and obviously Preston coming up was out of our hands, but need to strike a balance. I know it’s only friendlies but it won’t do our mindset any favours if we’ve been beaten throughout pre-season and then don’t get a positive result opening day.

I agree, would be good to knock some goals in and create chances against a non league team.

Who have Chesterfield got? :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:00 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Wouldn’t mind a game being lined up against non-league opposition next week. Would be nice to rack up a few goals hopefully and breed a bit of confidence a week before the new season (even if it is against lowly opposition).

I agree, would be good to knock some goals in and create chances against a non league team.

Who have Chesterfield got? :D

bit unfair youth, maybe up the level a bit and play Clippo :hysteria:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum