{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Early days yet , BUT !!!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Early days yet , BUT !!!

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:08 am

It is early days because it's still pre-season but I don't have the same feeling of dread and doom that I had this stage last season under Dempster.

So that's nice.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:11 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:My concern, and I can envisage the thread popping up shortly once the season commences, is that old favourite "No plan B."

Looks like wing backs and if that doesn't work, it'll be a case of "Try harder and make it work."

I think if clubs do their homework on us, we'll be one of those teams that may get found out and teams will set up specifically to play against us.

said the very same thing last week, not one winger in the building

The worst thing I envisage with it as well, is when any of the wing backs are having a bit of a mare defensively (Mal Benning does have his moments more often than not recently) and they get doubled up on by the wingers and overlapping full backs when the opposition go with 4-4-2.
It's the job of the extra centre mid or one of the three centre halves to get over and help out, but it's far more likely with our lot that they point the finger at each other saying it's someone elses job when it all goes tits up.

I’m sure GC won’t allow that to happen.

Also fans seem to be picking lots of what ifs with a formation we’ve basically played the last 2 seasons.

The fact that we have played it for the last two seasons is precisely why we are all looking at ifs and buts. We have all seen the advantages but have also witnessed the drawbacks. Good system for most of the time but plan b is a must particularly if your first choice wing backs are injured or suspended. These are vital positions for the system and the players must be first class at what they are doing..

I always thought that no plan b was the main reason we ran out of steam under Flitcroft and why he had to go. Teams sussed us out and we had no answer. I just hope we learned the lesson.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:02 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:My concern, and I can envisage the thread popping up shortly once the season commences, is that old favourite "No plan B."

Looks like wing backs and if that doesn't work, it'll be a case of "Try harder and make it work."

I think if clubs do their homework on us, we'll be one of those teams that may get found out and teams will set up specifically to play against us.

said the very same thing last week, not one winger in the building

Left wing I would agree with you, but isn't right wing the position Kellan Gordon was most known for when we signed him ?
Also, I am no expert on the 'youth' players and how ready they are for first team football, but I think Jason Law is a left sided attacking player.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:05 am

Benning, Gordon, O’Keefe, Sinclair and Maris have all played out wide in their careers.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:09 am

stagmanrob wrote:The worst thing I envisage with it as well, is when any of the wing backs are having a bit of a mare defensively (Mal Benning does have his moments more often than not recently) and they get doubled up on by the wingers and overlapping full backs when the opposition go with 4-4-2. It's the job of the extra centre mid or one of the three centre halves to get over and help out, but it's far more likely with our lot that they point the finger at each other saying it's someone elses job when it all goes tits up.

If we play Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning as wing backs then we are always going to be weak defensively down the sides. Mal Benning charges forward and leaves loads of space behind him and Kellan Gordon does the same and is not a good defender. This does put a lot of pressure on the left and right sided centre halfs to cover behind them and so you need players with pace in those positions. David Sharpe talked about this in his D3D4 interview. This is why GC has signed a couple of young centre halfs, Rollin Menayese and Aaron O'Driscoll, to play in these positions along with Ryan Sweeney.

I think Kellan Gordon, Corey O'Keeffe, Mal Benning and Tyrese Sinclair could play as wide players if required but we do need another left sided player.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum