{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Update - Retain list now out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retain list

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 13, 2020 8:43 pm

I was told at the weekend that we already have 4 very good signings in the bag including a centre half from Bristol

We will also see a better style of play when we eventually get a new season under way and everyone at the club are confident that we will be in contention for the automatics. The players that are staying have bought into the philosophy but some who haven't will be released. Released players will include a couple who set out to undermine John Dempster from the outset of his appointment and never gave him a chance.

Nothing surprising there really and it only confirmed what I suspected earlier in the season.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Wed May 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Can see the majority on the way out to be honest.

I think we’ll keep
Stone, Riley, Clarke, Sweeney, charsley, Tomlinson, Rose, knowles

Imagine Maynard will be on his way, not convinced we’ll keep Pearce, White is a shell of his former self - unless he either took a wage cut or it was more appearance based I can’t see us keeping him on.
Can see CJ wanting to leave too.

Benning and Macca have been two good servants to the club but I think they’ll be leaving.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby lifestags » Wed May 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I was told at the weekend that we already have 4 very good signings in the bag including a centre half from Bristol

We will also see a better style of play when we eventually get a new season under way and everyone at the club are confident that we will be in contention for the automatics. The players that are staying have bought into the philosophy but some who haven't will be released. Released players will include a couple who set out to undermine John Dempster from the outset of his appointment and never gave him a chance.

Nothing surprising there really and it only confirmed what I suspected earlier in the season.

Centre half will be that rollin Menayese, we agreed a fee for him in Jan but couldn’t agree personal terms, he seems to be out of contract in the summer.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 14, 2020 6:39 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I was told at the weekend that we already have 4 very good signings in the bag including a centre half from Bristol

For clarity, which players set out to undermine JD? I think his own ineptitude did that!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 14, 2020 6:42 am

my name is jonas wrote:Can see the majority on the way out to be honest.

I think we’ll keep
Stone, Riley, Clarke, Sweeney, charsley, Tomlinson, Rose, knowles

Imagine Maynard will be on his way, not convinced we’ll keep Pearce, White is a shell of his former self - unless he either took a wage cut or it was more appearance based I can’t see us keeping him on.
Can see CJ wanting to leave too.

Benning and Macca have been two good servants to the club but I think they’ll be leaving.

Macca? Why? He has been a mainstay so far. For all the criticism he had lately, even when things were not going his way he was never invisible. Always involved covering the whole pitch. I think he'll be very highly thought of by Coughlan.

We'll wait and see.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 am

Totally agree with AWC about Macca. He might not be everyone’s cup of tea but he always gives 100%
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu May 14, 2020 8:21 am

So did Gary Mills, He was gash aswell
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am

Why do fans love poor players.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu May 14, 2020 8:36 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

For clarity, which players set out to undermine JD? I think his own ineptitude did that!

From what I have been told there was a hardcore of four players who played up from the outset and refused to takes Dempster seriously. Two have already gone and the other two did buckle down a bit under GC but the damage had already been done. One of those players surprised everyone by his behaviour as it was totally out of character and it is thought he was heavily influenced by the others as they all travelled together. It apparently started by disrespectful comments and just grew and got out of control knocking all confidence out of the team.

I don't think it necessary to name the remaining two players as most will be able to work it out for themselves. We shall see on Friday how accurate my source was when the list comes out.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu May 14, 2020 9:17 am

Macca isn’t good enough to play centre mid and no longer quick enough to play on the wing.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am

Too right, totally agree.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu May 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

From what I have been told there was a hardcore of four players who played up from the outset and refused to takes Dempster seriously. Two have already gone and the other two did buckle down a bit under GC but the damage had already been done. One of those players surprised everyone by his behaviour as it was totally out of character and it is thought he was heavily influenced by the others as they all travelled together. It apparently started by disrespectful comments and just grew and got out of control knocking all confidence out of the team.

I don't think it necessary to name the remaining two players as most will be able to work it out for themselves. We shall see on Friday how accurate my source was when the list comes out.

So mellis has gone which other?

Cook ?

The other 2 could be either Pearce Preston or Benning ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu May 14, 2020 3:56 pm

I think Cook was a Dempster signing wasn't he?
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Yes
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu May 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Pearce/Preston
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Kernow wrote:Why do fans love poor players.

Macca isn't a poor player. He had a poor season along with everyone else.

He's a good player in my opinion. He can switch play very well. Can turn defence into attack quickly, tracks back very well and has a big engine and tenacity.

I hope he's retained.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Sorry sandy, you're gonna have to spell it out.

I'm going for Mellis, and Donohue as the two who are gone.

Preston, Pearce, Benning or CJ, I'm guessing might have been the other 2.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu May 14, 2020 5:36 pm

You've got the two who have left correct. I'm not sure it's fair to name the other two (you have) and I'm sure it will be clear when the retained list is announced, if not I'll tell you who I heard they were.

I expect CJ to be offered a new contract.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 pm

It will be dissapointing to see Pearce's spell here end like this.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu May 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Interesting one if your cj, do you stop with a security of a contract (players will want stability just like everyone else)

Or does he risk being a free agent with the thousand of other players, I doubt many clubs will be paying transfer fees for players so a bigger club may take a punt on him if he is a free.

If JR is certain this season won’t finish and he was going to “back us” again next season then he could sign players early, players who wouldn’t normally come to us/our level may want the security of a contract. We will also free up a load of money on wages on players like Davies/Mellis.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:25 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:You've got the two who have left correct. I'm not sure it's fair to name the other two (you have) and I'm sure it will be clear when the retained list is announced, if not I'll tell you who I heard they were.

I expect CJ to be offered a new contract.

We've had a good run sending a number of agents over the Chesterfield in order to support their demise. So I suppose it was only a matter of time before they managed to infiltrate our ranks with one of their own.

On paper Donohue was a good signing by JD but in reality has to be up there as one of the worst signings the club has ever made and demonstrates what a bad apple can do in the dressing room.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu May 14, 2020 9:27 pm

I thought you was gonna say Davies...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I thought you was gonna say Davies...

Donohue has to be worse than Davies due to his assault charge. Davies has been an absolute waste of money though and I expect he will be released tomorrow.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Thu May 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Cook ?

Its Pearce and Bishop
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu May 14, 2020 9:59 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Cook ?

Its Pearce and Bishop

Bishop was not mentioned to me.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum