{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Deadline Day

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:So it seems our approach is just to see out the season with hope of not being dragged into the relegation zone and with the play-offs a step to far , so I can only applaud Bolton who despite being a point behind and played a game more are not throwing the towel in far from it with their recruitment yesterday I hope they achieve promotion they will have deserved it ..

They will have deserved it? Why for spending even more
Money when they already have a top 3 budget?

Yeah. That’s the point isn’t it ? To better yourself ?

Bolton are in a worse position than us but are prepared to back their manager and give him the best possible chance of achieving something this season rather than looking to offload the higher earners they’ve bought more quality in.. chalk n cheese attitude to the rest of the season .

Why will they have deserved it though? Billy is suggesting that we have thrown the towel in by not splashing out yesterday. So will we not deserve it if we make the play offs?

Why will Bolton deserve it purely for throwing money at the problem?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:03 am

bellwhiff wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:probably just saved 8k in wages for lads who are not playing. Got in a lad on smaller wages who could probably have the same impact from the bench.

Plus Akins has signed. announced today

I hope so. There’s a few biatches on here that would owe you an apology

I would be first in queue
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby natfromboza » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 am

With our abundance of talented midfielders in the squad, I honestly think Lapslie could play centre forward in an emergency. He has the quality.
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 am

Billy the fish wrote:
yorkstag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:So it seems our approach is just to see out the season with hope of not being dragged into the relegation zone and with the play-offs a step to far , so I can only applaud Bolton who despite being a point behind and played a game more are not throwing the towel in far from it with their recruitment yesterday I hope they achieve promotion they will have deserved it ..

It’s called ambition, we seem to have thrown the towel in to start again next season .

I think that's a bit harsh - it seems likely the deals we wanted to happen didn't for whatever reason. In real life it happens.

I've no big problem with Cook and Maynard going. The only thing I would have done is bring Jimmy Knowles back as I just don't see the point him being there.

I don't agree that Bolton deserve to go up anymore than anyone else.

The point I’m trying to make is we have the momentum top of the form league in div 4 then we decide to significantly weaken the squad to save money . To be Honest I would have released Maynard and Cook but only when suitable (better) replacements where in the building . Whatever people’s opinions on Maynard and Cook they are damn good players to have sitting on your bench .

Cook and Maynard weren't even playing and we're doing fine without them. I won't be arsed if we don't get play offs this year, and I don't expect us to either.

That's a lot of money to be spending for both of them to sit on the bench as well.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 am

Billy, the fact they’re high earners is irrelevant, it’s a side issue.

They’ve been moved on because they wanted to play games, and they weren’t doing that here. Since Clough came in they’ve played an average 22% of available league minutes between them.

To say Clough wasn’t backed is wrong. He was backed, he just didn’t secure his targets (it would seem)
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:11 am

Billy the fish wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It’s called ambition, we seem to have thrown the towel in to start again next season .

How have we lost our ambitions ,we are on a 5 game winning run ,we lost our regular substitute and another who rarely got onto the pitch and brought in a young player who clough must rate highly we could extend that run tonight and keep it going along nicely for all we know ,ok we didnt get who some expected but i sure as hell dont think our manager will just coast along now
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gregmtfc » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:20 am

I’m not concerned

Bowery , Sinclair , McLaughlin can play LW

Reid or Bowery could play down the middle

Sarkic , Charsley or one of the above could play RW we’ll be fine.

Glad we’ve not just chucked money at players for the sake, we’re learning. We’re mostly preparing for next season anyway. Considering we were in a relegation fight with 0 wins in November, I’d have taken this all day long. Finish the season strong, push on next season
MTFC for life, always a yorkshire stag. COYS!!
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Beano » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 am

It’s obvious that Nigel has missed out on his target, however the fact that he hasn’t just panicked and bought a load of expensive dross must be reassuring for JR.

Do we have enough quality to get into the play offs?

Yes, of course we do.

Nigel has turned this team around, got rid of high earners that weren’t pulling their weight, and added a cpl of players that he rates highly.

Trust Nigel ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 am

Billy the fish wrote:
yorkstag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I think that's a bit harsh - it seems likely the deals we wanted to happen didn't for whatever reason. In real life it happens.

I've no big problem with Cook and Maynard going. The only thing I would have done is bring Jimmy Knowles back as I just don't see the point him being there.

I don't agree that Bolton deserve to go up anymore than anyone else.

The point I’m trying to make is we have the momentum top of the form league in div 4 then we decide to significantly weaken the squad to save money . To be Honest I would have released Maynard and Cook but only when suitable (better) replacements where in the building . Whatever people’s opinions on Maynard and Cook they are damn good players to have sitting on your bench .

You say they are damn good players, I've not seen that from either this season and we were paying them a fortune. As you said it was right we let them go. We brought in Quinn, who I think will be excellent at this level and NC obviously likes Sarkic. He did, as far as I can tell, try to sign Akins and Brayford but for whatever reason the deals were not made. I would not say that shows a lack of ambition but more the difficulty of signing players in January. Yes we need one more striker, but overall the first eleven is better than it was pre-window with Quinn.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:29 am

gregmtfc wrote:I’m not concerned

Glad we’ve not just chucked money at players for the sake, we’re learning. We’re mostly preparing for next season anyway. Considering we were in a relegation fight with 0 wins in November, I’d have taken this all day long. Finish the season strong, push on next season

100% this.

Add Gordon to the wing options as well.

I would like to have seen another centre forward option, but even if we had signed Akins he’s not a goal scoring centre forward, he’s in the Bowery mould.

Sick to death of a scattergun approach to our transfers and being served up dross every week. We finally have a manager who knows what he is doing and deserves our trust to deliver.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:31 am

Our midfield will bail us out too, Lot of quality coming from that area.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:37 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Not sure he's always in the know, seems to blag a lot of what he posts about certain clubs.

Is he a related to you?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:40 am

I just don't get the pessimism of some on here.

Cook and Maynard, for whatever reasons were bench players. How many times have they come off the bench and scored?

Sarkic it seems has already been written off. At least give him a chance and see what he can do. Also we can recall Knowles if needed. A lot want to see youngsters given a chance.

Reminds me of the time Lee Peacock was transferred and we got Chris Grreenacre in exchange plus cash. Chris who many said. He became a Stags legend.

Best to wait and see. We have a very good manager. Believe in him and support him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 am

Amber Andy wrote:I just don't get the pessimism of some on here.

Cook and Maynard, for whatever reasons were bench players. How many times have they come off the bench and scored?

Sarkic it seems has already been written off. At least give him a chance and see what he can do. Also we can recall Knowles if needed. A lot want to see youngsters given a chance.

Reminds me of the time Lee Peacock was transferred and we got Chris Grreenacre in exchange plus cash. Chris who many said. He became a Stags legend.

Best to wait and see. We have a very good manager. Believe in him and support him.

Half of the users on here have been moaning about Cook and Maynard for bloody ages saying they're not justifying their wages. Now they've both gone folk are up in arms about it :lol:

They weren't contributing to our recent run of form and for once we've finally got midfielders chipping in with goals helping the strikers out. We're absolutely fine imo, best signing this season is Cloughie followed by Lapslie 'D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:47 am

He has a squad that are winning every week and he's got rid of 2 bench players while bringing in Quinn and Sarkic and making Lapslie permanent. He's improved us on the field this window and definitely in the dressing room. Trust the gaffer.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:56 am

Agree 100% - we've wasted so much money on poor short term signings in the last few years and it's got us nowhere. January is never a great time to pick up much value in the transfer market, and this year I'd imagine the situation is even worse. Clough looks like a manager who wants to improve players, which is great news, those that have left have offered little to nothing this year.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Sharp wrote:

Agree 100% - we've wasted so much money on poor short term signings in the last few years and it's got us nowhere. January is never a great time to pick up much value in the transfer market, and this year I'd imagine the situation is even worse. Clough looks like a manager who wants to improve players, which is great news, those that have left have offered little to nothing this year.

Stop being so sensible please you two :lol:

In all seriousness thou i agree... With potentially the NL season being cancelled & no promotion / relegation it doesnt make sense to go all out and waste money for the sake of it... Cloughie will improve the players which hes already got at the club first then look for the value buys in the summer.

Dont forget we already landed quinn & lapslie early on in jan which are both quality signings at this level
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby West Ham 1969 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:28 pm

With the Akins deal falling over at the last minute, I’m sure NC would have been really frustrated to say the least, but really good to see he had a plan B.

I am more than happy with Nigels’ dealings in this window and agree with many of the comments already made above that neither Cook or Maynard will be greatly missed.
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Yeah. That’s the point isn’t it ? To better yourself ?

Why will they have deserved it though? Billy is suggesting that we have thrown the towel in by not splashing out yesterday. So will we not deserve it if we make the play offs?

Why will Bolton deserve it purely for throwing money at the problem?

I don’t recall saying that they deserved it but if they go up by getting the right players in then how can you say they don’t ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:34 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I just don't get the pessimism of some on here.

Half of the users on here have been moaning about Cook and Maynard for bloody ages saying they're not justifying their wages. Now they've both gone folk are up in arms about it :lol:

They weren't contributing to our recent run of form and for once we've finally got midfielders chipping in with goals helping the strikers out. We're absolutely fine imo, best signing this season is Cloughie followed by Lapslie 'D

I don’t think many have issues with Cook and Maynard going. I think it’s more that they’ve not been really replaced ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:34 pm

My reply was to Billy though, who said they deserved its then you joined in. He seemed to be suggesting they deserved it more than us purely because the manager had been ‘backed’.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:35 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:My reply was to Billy though, who said they deserved its then you joined in. He seemed to be suggesting they deserved it more than us purely because the manager had been ‘backed’.

I joined in? Who the chuff are you?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:My reply was to Billy though, who said they deserved its then you joined in. He seemed to be suggesting they deserved it more than us purely because the manager had been ‘backed’.

Your best bet is to not interact ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:37 pm

i don’t think it’s the fact Maynard n Cook left, it’s the fact we only got one in, it’s left us short of a forward.
I really liked the option of bringing Cook on for the last 20mins when needed not just for attack but he was extremely useful in defending set pieces and those bloody long throws

be interesting to hear the Gaffa’s take
Last edited by yorkshire stag on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:38 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

I joined in? Who the chuff are you?

Those are the facts. It wasn’t meant as a dig. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum