{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Postby daddycool » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:18 am

Burton have signed. Johnny Smith from Bristol city ,,excellent winger
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:38 am

daddycool wrote:Burton have signed. Johnny Smith from Bristol city ,,excellent winger

Does this mean they have a wide man free to let go now.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:59 am

part time pete wrote:
daddycool wrote:Burton have signed. Johnny Smith from Bristol city ,,excellent winger

i’d very surprised if the Akins deal doesn't happen now
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:26 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Do you think we need a wide man?

You’ve not really said.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:29 am

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Do you think we need a wide man?

You’ve not really said.

watch n learn Gripper lad, watch n learn :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Deadline Day

Postby Kernow » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Hope Monday is not a damp squib, hoping for movement in and out.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Re: Deadline Day

Postby Sammythestag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:06 pm

Agreed. I think we would be leaving ourselves short if we didn’t sign at least one striker/winger with currently only having Reid & an injury-plagued Maynard up top and a make shift winger in Charsley on the right.
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:18 pm

This deadline day will be anticlimactic in relation to previous years. Thankfully the salary cap budget that clubs in league one and two has signed up for is bringing a reality check back to football.

Players sat on a big wage won’t be able to move clubs in the hope of being paid up and getting a similar amount elsewhere and clubs, as you would expect most are near the cap limits, won’t be able to throw money around to attract players. This new found financial responsibility means that clubs strategy will no longer be similar to ‘playing a game of brag with borrowed money’ more like ‘chase the ace where you all have the same amount to lose’.

This summer the impact will be more keenly felt by players than ever in league one and two. With pay days for players with their best years behind them or taking a chance on injury prone players a thing of the past.

Having said that, a 20 to 25 goals a season striker pulling on an Amber jersey from 1st February would be welcomed.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:03 pm

Don't mind what we do tbh. We're winning and moving up the table and it's summer that really counts. Clough will have us up there next season no matter who he signs this week.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:09 pm

Sammythestag wrote:Agreed. I think we would be leaving ourselves short if we didn’t sign at least one striker/winger with currently only having Reid & an injury-plagued Maynard up top and a make shift winger in Charsley on the right.

Maynard’s had one injury, hardly injury plagued.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sammythestag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sammythestag wrote:Agreed. I think we would be leaving ourselves short if we didn’t sign at least one striker/winger with currently only having Reid & an injury-plagued Maynard up top and a make shift winger in Charsley on the right.

Which one injury do you remember then? The dead leg that kept him out for 2 weeks or the hamstring tweak that followed?
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:35 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:This deadline day will be anticlimactic in relation to previous years. Thankfully the salary cap budget that clubs in league one and two has signed up for is bringing a reality check back to football.

Players sat on a big wage won’t be able to move clubs in the hope of being paid up and getting a similar amount elsewhere and clubs, as you would expect most are near the cap limits, won’t be able to throw money around to attract players. This new found financial responsibility means that clubs strategy will no longer be similar to ‘playing a game of brag with borrowed money’ more like ‘chase the ace where you all have the same amount to lose’.

This summer the impact will be more keenly felt by players than ever in league one and two. With pay days for players with their best years behind them or taking a chance on injury prone players a thing of the past.

Having said that, a 20 to 25 goals a season striker pulling on an Amber jersey from 1st February would be welcomed.

I agree with most of that but how do you know that most clubs are near the salary cap limit?

My guess would be that isn't the case.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:38 pm

Sammythestag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Which one injury do you remember then? The dead leg that kept him out for 2 weeks or the hamstring tweak that followed?

Forgot about the dead leg, apologies. He only missed one game with that though.

I would say a dead leg cannot be attributed to a player being injury plagued. It’s an impact injury so could’ve happened to anyone regardless of fitness/age.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:43 pm

i do worry if Maynards still got the desire to play for us, the more i listen to Cloughie the more i don’t think he feels Nicky is his first choice striker, hope i’m wrong i just don’t think he has what he wants from his forward
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:45 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i do worry if Maynards still got the desire to play for us, the more i listen to Cloughie the more i don’t think he feels Nicky is his first choice striker, hope i’m wrong i just don’t think he has what he wants from his forward

The bigger worry is that he can’t do what Reid does.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:51 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:i do worry if Maynards still got the desire to play for us, the more i listen to Cloughie the more i don’t think he feels Nicky is his first choice striker, hope i’m wrong i just don’t think he has what he wants from his forward

But he can do the most important job for a striker much better than Reid.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:53 pm

Chasing playoffs would be folly, Clough will not sign players just to have them sitting on the bench, and having games in hand is not helpful , we can see the top clubs moving away,
but we still maintain a 11 point cushion, a 20 goal striker will not be coming, its like putting your eggs in one basket, Gordan and Mclaughlin can play down the wings, and Sinclaire.
He is happy with midfield, and comfortable, with the strikers, and Defence, he has a 20 first team squad, and will bring academy players in if necessary.
We will not be held to ransom, trying to climb a mountain, it certainly was a big call, letting Cook and Menayese go, Sun and Mon could be interesting
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:55 pm

I aint worried at all,end of his contract can't come soon enough for me.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:05 pm

Conker wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

But he can do the most important job for a striker much better than Reid.

Based on last season yes.

But this season Reid has a slightly better open play goals per minute than Maynard.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:29 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:This deadline day will be anticlimactic in relation to previous years. Thankfully the salary cap budget that clubs in league one and two has signed up for is bringing a reality check back to football.

That striker was Maynard. He's already here. He scored goals the first year when we were utter crap and then this year we didn't want to pay his wages and he didn't want to play for us.
He eventually signed cos we couldn't get a replacement and no one else wanted him is how I read it. So this year he hasn't worked hard enough for successive managers and Cloughs pressing from the front doesn't seem to suit him. The same situation remains, no one else seems to want him so he sits here picking up a wage no more useful to us than Butcher et al from the previous era.

Hands seem to be tied on this one until we can move him on, which seems to be the summer. Genuinely don't know what the solution is to this for the rest of the season cos he's currently a waste of a squad number.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:39 pm

I’d be very surprised if Cook wasn’t replaced
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Dont think our nige will dissapoint us glad to be back on here
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:47 pm

Rob wrote:

I agree with most of that but how do you know that most clubs are near the salary cap limit?

My guess would be that isn't the case.

The lack of transfer activity points towards this. If a side has a an amount of underspent budget, sooner than now would have been the time to use it and steal a march on the other sides. The league this season is tighter than normally so and any money spent now should result in advantage gained or improvement.

What is the thinking behind your case?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:49 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:

That striker was Maynard. He's already here. He scored goals the first year when we were utter crap and then this year we didn't want to pay his wages and he didn't want to play for us.
He eventually signed cos we couldn't get a replacement and no one else wanted him is how I read it. So this year he hasn't worked hard enough for successive managers and Cloughs pressing from the front doesn't seem to suit him. The same situation remains, no one else seems to want him so he sits here picking up a wage no more useful to us than Butcher et al from the previous era.

Hands seem to be tied on this one until we can move him on, which seems to be the summer. Genuinely don't know what the solution is to this for the rest of the season cos he's currently a waste of a squad number.

I agree Julian. Hopefully, from the end of this season onwards we have a better strategy in the transfer market.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:00 pm

"Exeter City can confirm that midfielder Nicky Law will leave the club on January 31 to pursue an exciting playing and coaching opportunity with USL club Indy Eleven in the United States. Nicky was one of manager Matt Taylor’s first signings at the club, joining in the summer of 2018 and quickly became a fan favourite after scoring on his debut against Carlisle United. He has gone on to make over 100 appearances in red and white, scoring 20 goals and providing numerous assists and was pivotal in the Grecians reaching the play-off final last season."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum