{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Times: Football's Crisis Plan

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:11 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 pm

No rationale? Are they sniffing glue.

Covid-19 you dimwits. Been declared a pandemic. Utterly stupid thing to say.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:18 pm

The Cheif Medical Officer stated point is if you implement a total shutdown of sport and enforced self isolation to early people will get fed up and disobey advice. In his own words "just at the moment infections peak".

Nothing stopping anyone self isolating by choice. If it's missing a football match that is worrying you then I think you have your priorities wrongly set.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:20 pm

If the matches end up getting played behind closed doors or cancelled then that could be the end for a few lower league clubs with their income stream cut off unless they get some financial help from somewhere else.
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:43 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:No rationale? Are they sniffing glue.

Agreed. What a really silly comment by the EFL. Of course there’s a medical rationale for not getting thousands (or tens of thousands) of people together (often in very close proximity) in these circumstances. It beggars belief that someone actually wrote this and someone reviewed it.

If they wanted to say something that at least had some logic they could have said they don’t believe it’s proportionate at this stage to cancel events. I wouldn’t agree with that but at least it would make some vague sense.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:

Agreed. What a really silly comment by the EFL. Of course there’s a medical rationale for not getting thousands (or tens of thousands) of people together (often in very close proximity) in these circumstances. It beggars belief that someone actually wrote this and someone reviewed it.

If they wanted to say something that at least had some logic they could have said they don’t believe it’s proportionate at this stage to cancel events. I wouldn’t agree with that but at least it would make some vague sense.

There is more chance of transferring the virus between people at the pub rather than at a football game. Do you suggest we shut down all pubs.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 pm

part time pete wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

There is more chance of transferring the virus between people at the pub rather than at a football game. Do you suggest we shut down all pubs.

What happens if you go to the football and the pub? Which most fans will do
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 pm

part time pete wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

There is more chance of transferring to virus between people at the pub rather than at a football game. Do you suggest we shut down all pubs.

No Pete, I am not suggesting that. Please re read my comment. I am saying that the statement ‘there is no medical rationale....’ is silly. There is a medical rationale for not getting people together in great numbers. The question is whether it is proportionate to do so, which is what your comment goes to. (People can take different views on that).

Put another way - it would be pretty stupid to say there’s no chance of getting knocked down by a car if you cross roads every day. But you accept the risk because it’s proportionate to the benefit of getting around.

My point wasn’t that they should necessarily close things down (as it happens I think they probably should, but I accept there’s a perfectly rational opposite view). My pint was their statement seemed silly to me.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:52 am

Ok. Well now that Arteta has the Virus, let's see how long there is no rationale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867854
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Ok. Well now that Arteta has the Virus, let's see how long there is no rationale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867854

It will change very swiftly.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:31 am

part time pete wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

If it is deemed necessary at some point then yes, close the pubs, the staff will probably be already ill anyway.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:49 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:23 am

Hmmm.

From ‘no medical rationale’ 24 hours ago (seems fairly definitive to me) to ‘oh raspberry now some footballers have it maybe we better cancel everything for a few weeks’.

As has been said the original announcement was silly.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:29 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

what a bloody idiot.

no 'rationale'!!! it's ok saying people are unlikely to get it outside, but what about the travelling using busses, trains, tubes etc. people piling into and out of pubs. What about police and steward numbers. I'd rather police numbers were applied appropriate causes than to control an entertainment/sporting occasion.

It was a totally absurd thing for them to publish. Of course there is a rationale and of course this was bound to happen as the epidemic will likely get worse before it gets better.

What they need to think about is what happens if they season can't finish. Personally, I'd suggest that we get to a defined point in time and play what we can behind closed doors if possible.

At that point promote and relegate teams in the automatics, and forget about the playoffs.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 am

Makes me glad we have nothing to play for. Feel sorry for the clubs that do, but health comes first of course.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:38 am

Apparently the EFL is going to be suspended.
Last edited by adamstag on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

what a bloody idiot.

no 'rationale'!!! it's ok saying people are unlikely to get it outside, but what about the travelling using busses, trains, tubes etc. people piling into and out of pubs. What about police and steward numbers. I'd rather police numbers were applied appropriate causes than to control an entertainment/sporting occasion.

It was a totally absurd thing for them to publish. Of course there is a rationale and of course this was bound to happen as the epidemic will likely get worse before it gets better.

What they need to think about is what happens if they season can't finish. Personally, I'd suggest that we get to a defined point in time and play what we can behind closed doors if possible.

At that point promote and relegate teams in the automatics, and forget about the playoffs.

You and I agree. I suspect they may have been driven by revenue (clubs) rather than well being (fans and wider society).

A more sensible thing to do would have been to go closed doors and offered all season ticket holders an ifollow pass and all other potential viewers the chance to buy.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:27 am

Dan Roan: "BREAKING: Premier League and EFL look set to announce both will be suspended until at least Apr 4th, when situation will be reviewed. Hearing EFL board agreed on this unanimously. Premier League meeting happening in 10 mins when clubs will be urged to follow suit"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

When this is all over Craig Davies might actually be fit enough to start
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

Jeez
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am

Hope you all enjoy spending time with your partners chaps! :lol:
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:54 am

Richard Cranium wrote:When this is all over Craig Davies might actually be fit enough to start

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby M E » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:59 am

Just been on Radio Nottingham that all EFL games postponed until at least 3rd April
M E
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Games suspended until 4th April due to Coronavirus

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 am

Just been announced.

Shared from Sky News: Coronavirus: English Football League fixtures to be suspended until 4 April https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... l-11956889
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 am

League Two season postponed until 03 April, at earliest

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020 ... arch-2020/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum