{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CJ

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

CJ

Postby Kernow » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:00 pm

How much longer does he get away with performances like today.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Re: CJ

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:38 pm

bin sayin so 4 ages, but cos he can run fast folk think he's a footballer
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:51 am

Try playing him in his actual position. He needs to be getting in behind defenders. Not left back
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:55 am

Back or front he does not have ball awareness. Frustrating as hell.
Last edited by Kernow on Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 am

Chander Lear wrote:Try playing him in his actual position. He needs to be getting in behind defenders. Not left back

He hasn’t got an actual position
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:21 am

It's funny how people get on CJ's back from minute one. We had players mishitting passes, missing 1 on 1s & shooting off target yet CJ is the whipping boy. Guy next to me wanted to know why CJ wasn't getting forward. No issue with Haydn not getting forward though. When the formation was changed & CJ played left wing he carved up their defence but not a peep from the guy. #bekind
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:48 am

Who will it be next week? Stones? Not been Pearce’s turn for a while. Watts? Maynard cos he misses another chance? Macca gets slated above and he’s not even playing!!!! Preston has not had a mention recently. Will it be his turn? Rose? Bishop has not been whipping boy for at least one match.

Come on, guys. Support the players. CJ is a good footballer for our club. He doesn’t get picked ‘because he can run fast ‘ but because he has the potential to unlock defences and has been known to score the odd goal or two over the last couple of years. CJ is a confidence player and will not be helped by being ridiculed by so called fans who have little idea of his qualities.

Let’s listen to those that were there yesterday. They seem to be saying we played reasonably well and that improvements are being noted under GC. Give the players a chance.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 am

I think CJ has become the new Ollie Palmer..... cant do much right here and a fresh start somewhere else will do him the world of good. Probably end up at county in non league next season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:59 am

Chander Lear wrote:Try playing him in his actual position. He needs to be getting in behind defenders. Not left back

What is his actual position? He spent a lot of last season in that kind of wing back role and it led to his most successful season with us.

I agree though, anyone with pace you need to utilise it and get them in behind.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:03 am

His position is LW. He looks ok when he’s attacking the RB. Not rocket science. Folk get on his back straight away without considering the instructions from the manager. The lad can’t win with our fans. At least half a dozen players have been worse than CJ this and last season.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:38 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:His position is LW. He looks ok when he’s attacking the RB. Not rocket science. Folk get on his back straight away without considering the instructions from the manager. The lad can’t win with our fans. At least half a dozen players have been worse than CJ this and last season.

I agree with those that say we played well yesterday. Sadly, yet again, CJ was a lost soul.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:48 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:His position is LW. He looks ok when he’s attacking the RB. Not rocket science. Folk get on his back straight away without considering the instructions from the manager. The lad can’t win with our fans. At least half a dozen players have been worse than CJ this and last season.

I agree with those that say we played well yesterday. Sadly, yet again, CJ was a lost soul.

Yet CJ playes LWB last week and had quite a good game.

CJ has been with us for several years and has produced one short spell of consistant good performances.

He isn't a player you can rely on to churn it out week in week out and I think it shows the weakness in the squad that he's been undroppable for much of the last 3 years.

I like him as a player in that he doesn't complain and gets on with whatever job he's asked, but he doesn't do any job constantly well.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 am

Overrated
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:35 am

Funny people saying hes overrated when they dont even watch us play.

Hes never been and will never be an effective wing back. As soon as he has defensive responsibilities - which to be fair he handles ok - it makes him far less effective.

Hes a winger. A tear the full back a new one winger who has pace to burn keeps going for 90 mins and on his day can be devastating. Instead of hammering the lad, get behind him. We all know what hes capable of.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:43 am

Jamie wrote:Funny people saying hes overrated when they dont even watch us play.

Hes never been and will never be an effective wing back. As soon as he has defensive responsibilities - which to be fair he handles ok - it makes him far less effective.

Hes a winger. A tear the full back a new one winger who has pace to burn keeps going for 90 mins and on his day can be devastating. Instead of hammering the lad, get behind him. We all know what hes capable of.

He's an okay winger, one game in four. That's not hammering him it's the truth.

He doesn't use his pace to good effect often enough, his delivery on crosses is bang average. He's a pretty good finisher on his day but too often lacks conviction in his shooting.

He's still young and could still improve, but he's not a bit of a kid just breaking into the squad, he's been a first team regular for 3 years.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:46 am

He's a left footed attacking player who needs the ball played in front of him to run onto. Unfortunately we've let anyone capable of playing a decently timed pass leave the club.(Mellis at Newport in the playoffs springs to mind). He's not the type of player to grab a game by the horns and turn it on his own. We need quality in midfield to bring the best out of him. Looked a player under Flitcroft when we had players and style of football that supplied him with bullets to fire.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am

He is a good League 2 winger, who if played in the right team could do an average job in League 1.

I don't think he does a bad job at left back and he is the only player we have had for the last few years who gets you on the edge of the seat occasionally.

Yes, he doesn't always produce the end product we would like but that's football.

I prefer him on the wing, but he needs someone capable of feeding the ball in front of him and I wish he would take his man on more often.

To single him out for criticism is very unfair, there have been much worse players this season.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:57 am

Jamie wrote:Funny people saying hes overrated when they dont even watch us play.

If that’s aimed at me, I’ve seen more than enough oh him to form an opinion. Even when he was getting plaudits I was consistent.

He’s like Bambi on Ice.

Bwahahahaha

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:00 pm

CJ has lost his Mojo, I think Evan's took it to Peterborough, not been the same since the fat man left.
On current form he is not worth his high wage, fast yes, consistent no, crosses a ball no.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm

oldweststander wrote:CJ has lost his Mojo, I think Evan's took it to Peterborough, not been the same since the fat man left.
On current form he is not worth his high wage, fast yes, consistent no, crosses a ball no.

Not looked the same since Evans left, except for being our second top scorer, getting into the L2 team of the season and being touted for a million pound transfer under Flitcroft.

Honestly!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:39 pm

To be fair I think Flitcroft got more out of CJ than Evans including goals
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Why do we accept that other players tire towards the end but expect CJ to have exceptional pace right to the end?

In the wing back role he probably covers more ground than any other player but always keeps going to the end of the game. That is true even when we are playing mostly down his wing looking for inspiration.

He may put better balls in if the rest of the team kept up with him but he usually has to wait allowing the fullbacks the chance to catch up and make the pass more difficult. Maynard has been the only player to consistently keep up this season which considerably reduces the options. Get faster forwards/midfielders and he will flourish.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:56 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
oldweststander wrote:CJ has lost his Mojo, I think Evan's took it to Peterborough, not been the same since the fat man left.

Not looked the same since Evans left, except for being our second top scorer, getting into the L2 team of the season and being touted for a million pound transfer under Flitcroft.

Honestly!

Only my view mate.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:44 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:

Honestly!

sums up the average IQ level of a stags fan.... wow
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:32 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

Honestly!

sums up the average IQ level of a stags fan.... wow

You think he’s worth a million ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum