{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Score Fred sponsorship by unbeaten run at the races

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Score Fred sponsorship by unbeaten run at the races

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:The one good thing that we will take from this season in my opinion is that the fans expectations will be hugely lowered.

I think a lot will be expecting promotion again next season

That's what worries me :(
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:The one good thing that we will take from this season in my opinion is that the fans expectations will be hugely lowered.

and you know some fans will call GC a failure if he doesn't get us up in one year... I suppose this season he has failed also? :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:04 am

If GC gets us in the playoffs next season it will be a miracle imo. This squad needs a complete overhaul. I think it’s a big ask. Maybe in two seasons!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:If GC gets us in the playoffs next season it will be a miracle imo. This squad needs a complete overhaul. I think it’s a big ask. Maybe in two seasons!!!

It will depend on who he brings in. At least half of this squad will be gone before a ball is kicked next season.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:12 am

Some joker on Facebook just suggested dropping Maynard.

Unbelievable.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:27 am

bellwhiff wrote:Some joker on Facebook just suggested dropping Maynard.

Unbelievable.

Our player of the season so far. Without his goals I dread to think where we would be in the league
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am

Kernow wrote:It is bad, when Chris Clements looked better than we have had all season. Midfield inept and don't mention Macca please. Need a clean sweep of all midfielders.

On the Chelts MB, Clements was described as woeful.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:40 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Expectations arent just plucked out of thin air. When the directors are saying its the aim and talk about a top 3 budget, when the management team say it's the aim, when new signings say its the aim... guess what, people then expect it and rightly so.

Next season's expectations will depend on what is said over the summer and pre season and by who.

Hopefully with the red faces in the boardroom after 3 years of "project promotion" talk and nothing delivered - they'll keep quiet or be more realistic going forward. Whipping up expectations as they have can be a dangerous game, as they've found out with the negativity and toxicity around us this season.

Either way it's not the fans fault as you seem to be alluding to. Our expectations are set by others. The issue is those setting them have failed to deliver.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:10 am

If Cheltenham think Clements was woeful what did they think to our midfield? Just feel sorry for the service our strikers are receiving. A joke.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 am

BH_Stag wrote:It was glaringly obvious to every Mansfield Town fan that the midfield was our weak point and we go on to sign Charsley who is lightweight and Evans who hasn’t had a kick.

I thought Harry Charsley had his best 45 minutes for us in the 1st half against Cheltenham. He works hard but needs to get on the ball more and get more involved in games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 am

I think we can file the Cheltenham defeat with the Crawley and Swindon away games where we ended up losing 1-0 but should have come away with a point based on chances created.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:46 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I don't know. I think we've been humbled :lol:
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Jamie wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Expectations arent just plucked out of thin air. When the directors are saying its the aim and talk about a top 3 budget, when the management team say it's the aim, when new signings say its the aim... guess what, people then expect it and rightly so.

Next season's expectations will depend on what is said over the summer and pre season and by who.

Hopefully with the red faces in the boardroom after 3 years of "project promotion" talk and nothing delivered - they'll keep quiet or be more realistic going forward. Whipping up expectations as they have can be a dangerous game, as they've found out with the negativity and toxicity around us this season.

Either way it's not the fans fault as you seem to be alluding to. Our expectations are set by others. The issue is those setting them have failed to deliver.

If the board say 'we are aiming for promotion next season' then i personally take that as setting our ambitions and instilling a high standard of aspiration. I don't usually take that as an absolute mandatory / red light 'do or die' scenario, at least not without weighing up the factors influencing the outcome. I think the board have to stir interest with rousing words to inspire and attract fans - unless the situation was dire (eg - financially), then i can't ever see a board coming out with a lukewarm or mediocre announcement while investment remains high.

I personally don't apportion blame to anyone, but at a push perhaps the board could have chosen it's word more carefully and us fans taken it with a pinch of salt ;)

We've all promised stuff and not delivered at some point in our lives - it's how far short of the mark you fall & reasons why (imo). Either way, if we have wholesale squad changes in summer, then it's fairly unlikely we'll be topping the league - imo, teams that go up are usually those that make relatively few key tweaks to what was already a settled and winning side, rather than boom > bust > boom
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Depending on who is willing to re-sign, I don't think there will be wholesale changes in the summer. We will stick with the majority of the defence and possibly sign another centre half.

Rose and Maynard will be offered new contracts and we will probably add one more target man. I'm not sure about Davis but given a good pre-season, I think he may be given a chance.

Midfield is not so simple to predict but Macca and Tomlinson will be here next season. I think there will probably be at least three additions here.

Players that are on the fringe now will be gone but I think will probably be replaced with back ups as opposed to first team players.

We may see a couple of season long loans of youngsters from premiership clubs.

In respect of our youngsters, I can only see Jimmy Knowles getting a new contract.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:50 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Depending on who is willing to re-sign, I don't think there will be wholesale changes in the summer. We will stick with the majority of the defence and possibly sign another centre half.

Rose and Maynard will be offered new contracts and we will probably add one more target man. I'm not sure about Davis but given a good pre-season, I think he may be given a chance.

Midfield is not so simple to predict but Macca and Tomlinson will be here next season. I think there will probably be at least three additions here.

Players that are on the fringe now will be gone but I think will probably be replaced with back ups as opposed to first team players.

We may see a couple of season long loans of youngsters from premiership clubs.

In respect of our youngsters, I can only see Jimmy Knowles getting a new contract.

Think you missed goalkeepers off that list ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Sneag wrote:Another week closer to next season. Yaaaay.

flipping Reuben Ried. We should sign him, he'd never score again.

:lol: :lol: so true.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:12 pm

Dan wrote:
Sneag wrote:Another week closer to next season. Yaaaay.

flipping Reuben Ried. We should sign him, he'd never score again.

:lol: :lol: so true.

Murray was close to signing him.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm

It would be very risky signing someone like Reuben Reid (31). He has been a bit injury prone in the last two seasons and has not played that many games. He only plays and scores against us :lol:

League Appearances and Goals

2018-2019 Forest Green Rovers 20(9) appearances and 7 goals
2019-2020 Cheltenham Town 3(4) appearances and 3 goals
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum