{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Train Buried Under Centre Circle

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Train Buried Under Centre Circle

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:18 am

Is this the same train that was lugging stolen Nazi gold, looted from the Polish in Prussia, to be hidden in secret tunnels at Crown Farm colliery?

This seems the only plausible explanation and would explain why there are so may Poles are here seeking their fortune!! (Here all week folks).
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:05 pm

I saw that train, it was just off the training galleries at Crowny. It still had an 88mm attatched to the truck at the rear of the coal tender, big black thing it was.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 pm

We used to have Keith "Puffer" Kennedy who played left back for us in the early 80s and who used to chug up and down the left side of the pitch very slowly.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:01 pm

The train belonged to Alvin Stardust. I met him once at Field Mill and he pointed to the centre spot and said "That's my Choo Cha Choo".
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Teapot wrote:Can anyone throw any light on this. Just heard that a railway locomotive was buried under the Field Mill centre circle many years ago. Never heard this before. Seriously, is this true or is it a wind up?

Thomas the tank engine ?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby sunray » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:11 pm

Sure it's not a helicopter
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 pm

Teapot wrote:Can anyone throw any light on this. Just heard that a railway locomotive was buried under the Field Mill centre circle many years ago. Never heard this before. Seriously, is this true or is it a wind up?

Yes....
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Upper West » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Given that the railway station opened in 1872 and that Field Mill has been used as a football ground since 1861 I think it is very unlikely

There was a story that there was a railway engine under the pitch at Wembley.

In the early years of last century they started to build London's version of the Eifell tower at Wembley. It ran into problems but did reach a height of almost 50 metres before they gave up.

The story was that an engine came off the tracks and was buried below the pitch.

This proved to be untrue but concrete foundations for the structure were uncovered when the old wembley was demolished.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Spiritater wrote:I saw that train, it was just off the training galleries at Crowny. It still had an 88mm attatched to the truck at the rear of the coal tender, big black thing it was.

Spoke to an ex-Crown Farm employee this weekend at last orders. He says he can remember that train leaving the marshaling yards at Crowny, destination unknown, with a former American Air Force pilot turned Deputy known as Von Ryan running behind it, trying in vain to catch it and get on. Sadly he tripped, fell and never made it.

It’s time to dig up the pitch, find the Nazi gold and use it to propel the Stags to Champions league glory.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:46 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Spiritater wrote:I saw that train, it was just off the training galleries at Crowny. It still had an 88mm attatched to the truck at the rear of the coal tender, big black thing it was.

Spoke to an ex-Crown Farm employee this weekend at last orders. He says he can remember that train leaving the marshaling yards at Crowny, destination unknown, with a former American Air Force pilot turned Deputy known as Von Ryan running behind it, trying in vain to catch it and get on. Sadly he tripped, fell and never made it.

It’s time to dig up the pitch, find the Nazi gold and use it to propel the Stags to Champions league glory.

:D Metal detector will do ;) My tip is don't wear steel capped boots :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:28 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:

Correlates with what Chinese Mick's Grandad told us as nippers one night after he'd been sampling Frank's home brew all day.
Von Ryan used to do a decent tribute to Sintatra, however the fall knocked his front teeth out and he struggled to get bookings after.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:35 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:

Was it black Gold ? In the coal market it’s known as Anthracite, didn’t half kick out some heat !
Allegedly a lot of coal was discovered under the old West Stand during the Haslam ownership when the ground was being modernised. Anybody else heard this ?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm

MOTG wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Was it black Gold ? In the coal market it’s known as Anthracite, didn’t half kick out some heat !
Allegedly a lot of coal was discovered under the old West Stand during the Haslam ownership when the ground was being modernised. Anybody else heard this ?

Well they would find coal under the West Stand seeing as that's where they buried the tender.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Apparently Keith had a stall on Shirebrook market selling it off in used potato sacks. Two pound a bag he was charging.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:27 pm

I think someone mis-heard. There’s a TRAINER buried beneath the centre circle.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:24 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:I think someone mis-heard. There’s a TRAINER buried beneath the centre circle.

Where's the sole in that?
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:I think someone mis-heard. There’s a TRAINER buried beneath the centre circle.

Where's the sole in that?

A Puma
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Was it dead?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Spiritater wrote:Was it dead?

No it was a Ford
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum