{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"Barrowcelona" Tifo x Athletic video

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

"Barrowcelona" Tifo x Athletic video

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:07 am

So I read the article on the Athletic and really made me amazed by Evatt and how hes gone about managing Barrow... Honestly think if a club like barrow can do this then surely we can too?

Went to watch them a few weeks ago and they are a league above. Think it finished 2-1 when I went but it was the most entertaining football ive seen this year. Bottom 6 budget but they've recruited well and got non negotiable patterns of play they constantly stick to no matter how the game is going and it produces chance after chance.

anyway for those without access to the Athletic, Tifo have turned it into a really good video... worth a watch. Future stags manager?

Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Re: "Barrowcelona" Tifo x Athletic video

Postby w12stag » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:56 am

Excellent video,real eye opener.Different philosophy than what was on view at Brisbane Road this week.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MOTG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Really enjoyed that video Sedgwick and thanks. I recall Barrow being in the league . The town itself is somewhat run down the last time I visited it some years back . Hope they get promoted .It would be nice to have a weekend in the Lake District with a trip to nearby Barrow. Obviously that's dependant on the outcome we remain in League two but I keep the faith that we will. COYS
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Hope Barrow go up. They didn’t deserve to be demoted. Scandalous really. My mate watched them at County and said they were superb. Evatt has done brilliantly.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 pm

We need to take this to JR and get a similar club philosophy.... big budgets don't equal success... signing footballers to play in a system and hard work on the training ground does.

Think GC is the right manager for this.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:19 pm

Sedgwick wrote:We need to take this to JR and get a similar club philosophy.... big budgets don't equal success... signing footballers to play in a system and hard work on the training ground does.

Totally agree.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:13 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:We need to take this to JR and get a similar club philosophy.... big budgets don't equal success... signing footballers to play in a system and hard work on the training ground does.

Totally agree.

Me too, save the cash and spend it on the Bishop St!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:45 pm

You don’t half spout some rubbish, do you actually attend any Stags matches?
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:34 am

KirkbyStag2 wrote:

You don’t half spout some rubbish, do you actually attend any Stags matches?

:lol: I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks this.

This is my favourite bit from above: “ Went to watch them a few weeks ago and they are a league above. Think it finished 2-1 when I went but it was the most entertaining football ive seen this year.“

It was that entertaining he can’t even remember the score even though he claims to have gone to see them. :lol: #waltermitty
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:36 pm

Its odd reading this board. Anyone who is involved in the game and qualified in coaching, talent ID, club management, scouting, data analysis or anything similar always seem to scoffed at by those who are still stuck in the 80's and rarely add any value to football discussion.

Sedgwick is spot on. The club needs a proper philosophy and long term plan. It's no coincidence that clubs who we used to consider as rivals are now doing really well in the divisions above us.

The obvious teams that spring to mind are Brentford and Peterborough who have very clear recruitment philosophies.
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Its odd reading this board. Anyone who is involved in the game and qualified in coaching, talent ID, club management, scouting, data analysis or anything similar always seem to scoffed at by those who are still stuck in the 80's and rarely add any value to football discussion.

Sedgwick is spot on. The club needs an proper philosophy and long term plan. It's no coincidence that clubs who we used to consider as rivals are now doing really well in the divisions above us.

The obvious teams that spring to mind are Brentford and Peterborough who have very clear recruitment philosophies.

Its hard for some... any opportunity to shout and have a go at someone they take it... not the brightest are they? somehow manages to miss every point anyone makes. Not entertaining him any longer.

We do need a long term plan absolutely. Some fans would rather us just let a manager spend £££ then sack them and replace the squad after one season of "failure" and thats just never going to work.

but yeah, I think it was 2-1, hard to be sure when I left after 85 minutes :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:10 pm

There are a few reasons why this would never happen at this club.

Number one is that we have established there isn't much high-level football knowledge at the top of the club. This is not something a purist football culture can be born out of.

The second is the re-education of our fans, which Evatt alluded to himself about the fans at Barrow. A lot of our fans simply don't get it. That's not a dig, it's just the facts. This fan base is not one that will be able to get behind a possession based system, it'd be 'stop farting about with it and get it forward' if we've not pumped it forward 360 times after 5 minutes. There are too many fans who don't understand the why's behind such a philosophy. It's hard to get the people who would just scream 'get it forward' to understand the system and get on board with it.
Bringing in 'footballers' won't pacify the fans too. It's well known we are anti-footballers and pro-workhorses. The Bishop's and Rose's get lathered in plaudits, and the Mellis', Khan's, Clements' are branded as luxuries. People can disagree, although I'm not sure why they would, if not for being in denial. It's how it's always been at Mansfield. Even if this kind of culture change occurred with us, I'm not confident our fans would have

I also completely disagree that Coughlan would be the suitable manager to bring about this kind of culture change we talk about. He is clearly not a manager who holds a possession based philosophy, it's evident by what we've seen. We don't need to hear 'well it's not his team yet is it' either, you can point to what he did and how his Rovers teams played too.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:31 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Its odd reading this board. Anyone who is involved in the game and qualified in coaching, talent ID, club management, scouting, data analysis or anything similar always seem to scoffed at by those who are still stuck in the 80's and rarely add any value to football discussion.

Sedgwick is spot on. The club needs a proper philosophy and long term plan. It's no coincidence that clubs who we used to consider as rivals are now doing really well in the divisions above us.

I think you need to check out the National League :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Sedgwick wrote:but yeah, I think it was 2-1, hard to be sure when I left after 85 minutes :lol:

Was the game at Barrow or somewhere else?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:15 pm

Dan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:but yeah, I think it was 2-1, hard to be sure when I left after 85 minutes :lol:

Well Sedgwick are you going to answer or have you been caught out again?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Puckbunny » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Dan you are an odd ball

I personally think tippy tappy football is boring
Puckbunny
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:45 pm

Thanks. But it’s better than being a liar & a fantasist ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Dan wrote:
Dan wrote:

Well Sedgwick are you going to answer or have you been caught out again?

Nobody cares. Have a day off.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:46 am

Puckbunny wrote:Dan you are an odd ball

I personally think tippy tappy football is boring

Darren Shaw isn't that bad :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Puckbunny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:01 am

Dont get it. However still dont understand why Dan is ao aggressive towards a forum user. Has he history of this?
Puckbunny
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06 am

Puckbunny wrote:Dont get it. However still dont understand why Dan is ao aggressive towards a forum user. Has he history of this?

:lol: :lol: Interesting first 4 posts having a pop at me, bless.

I'm just fed up of reading Sedgwick's bull, so I called him out on it and once again he's not responded because he knows he's been caught out lying again. Not sure why he feels the need to keep doing it, I think it's because he thinks he knows more than any of us when really he knows nothing.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Puckbunny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:12 am

Fair play. Looks like bullying to me. Or keyboard warrior if you will.

Back on topic, looks an interesting way of playing does Barrow. As above, I hate watching Barelona / Spain ways if playing football, its boring. Give me Corden / Lawrence with overlapping fullbacks any day of the week.
Puckbunny
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby WVStag » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:11 pm

Puckbunny wrote:Fair play. Looks like bullying to me. Or keyboard warrior if you will.

Back on topic, looks an interesting way of playing does Barrow. As above, I hate watching Barelona / Spain ways if playing football, its boring. Give me Corden / Lawrence with overlapping fullbacks any day of the week.

Interesting thoughts. Overall in football, I am a purist and find absolute enjoyment in watching sides like Guardiola's. I think it's the best way to play football, although there is no right way.

When it comes to Mansfield though, my principles become a little bit more malleable, it probably just boils down for that desperation to succeed one way or another. Paul Cox's football was not exactly a delight on the eye but we were so effective and ruthless so the style of play wasn't an issue- while we were winning games of course!
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Puckbunny wrote:Fair play. Looks like bullying to me. Or keyboard warrior if you will.

:lol: :lol: :lol: bullying. If asking someone where they saw a football match is bullying then I don't think the internet is for you ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Dan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: bullying. If asking someone where they saw a football match is bullying then I don't think the internet is for you ;)

Dan isn't a bully.

I think I have finally realised that he is one of a few posters who are simply a bit insecure and need the pointless arguments and the attention they bring to boost their self esteem. I'm actually growing sympathetic towards some of them.

Their posts are usually unnecessarily provocative and of little substance, especially when it comes to football related matters and contain a number of common logical fallacies.

What other reason is there to revive a thread which everyone else has moved on from just to try and pick an argument?

Dan in particular uses the 'ad hominem' and 'straw man' fallacies.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum