{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Weather watch - pitch inspection 9.45am GAME OFF

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Weather watch - pitch inspection 9.45am GAME OFF

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:53 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:No game yesterday, yet we still have to find a victim who has underperformed ! Only on Stags net.

Mezz is in the firing line now, in the absence of Logan, Preston and Bishop. Clipstone are so much better as they get a game on, or our grounds man should have behaved differently in view of the bad weather.

We have had two games postponed in five years due to a water logged pitch yet Mezz's knowledge is being questioned.

Could the reason be to do with the most rainfall in February ever recorded, rather than the perceived ineptitude of our grounds man ?

sshhh Andy, you're ruining the lynch mob! Hang on my torch needs re lighting from all this rain :lol:

Who's next, Alan Wilson? Sammy the stag? Haven't seen the kiosks being mentioned recently :lol:

Ssssh Bobby, you're moaning about the moaners.

Did you not enjoy Spurs at home and later Wolves in the cup???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:57 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:No game yesterday, yet we still have to find a victim who has underperformed ! Only on Stags net.

Mezz is in the firing line now, in the absence of Logan, Preston and Bishop. Clipstone are so much better as they get a game on, or our grounds man should have behaved differently in view of the bad weather.

We have had two games postponed in five years due to a water logged pitch yet Mezz's knowledge is being questioned.

Could the reason be to do with the most rainfall in February ever recorded, rather than the perceived ineptitude of our grounds man ?

sshhh Andy, you're ruining the lynch mob! Hang on my torch needs re lighting from all this rain :lol:

Who's next, Alan Wilson? Sammy the stag? Haven't seen the kiosks being mentioned recently :lol:

I'm not moaning, just highlighting that some on here have got to have someone in their line of fire to shoot at.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:17 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I'm not moaning, just highlighting that some on here have got to have someone in their line of fire to shoot at.

But did you enjoy those two games in the mud???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:19 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

But did you enjoy those two games in the mud???

I don't know. I wasn't born :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Who's next, Alan Wilson? Sammy the stag? Haven't seen the kiosks being mentioned recently :lol:[/quote]

Did you not enjoy Spurs at home and later Wolves in the cup???[/quote]

I'm not moaning, just highlighting that some on here have got to have someone in their line of fire to shoot at.[/quote]

But did you enjoy those two games in the mud???[/quote]

I don't know. I wasn't born :lol:[/quote]

The answer I was expecting ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:49 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Jamie wrote:The pitch hasn't been right all season. If as Mez says its impacted and blocking drainage, surely that hasn't just happened this week. Why have we waited until it's almost underwater to consider 'hiring' a machine to fix it?

I get they cant put a tractor on it like it is but Is there no way to fix / separate it manually? Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it or something like that, then just go round spiking it into submission? Obviously very labour intensive but he admits hes done nothing all week.

Unless you can get the giant sponge machine on there is nowhere for the water to go.

The water table is brimming, nevermind, there will be a hosepipe banby August.

No he said there is drainage underneath but the layer under the top was compacted and not letting water through.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Jamie wrote:The pitch hasn't been right all season. If as Mez says its impacted and blocking drainage, surely that hasn't just happened this week. Why have we waited until it's almost underwater to consider 'hiring' a machine to fix it?

I get they cant put a tractor on it like it is but Is there no way to fix / separate it manually? Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it or something like that, then just go round spiking it into submission? Obviously very labour intensive but he admits hes done nothing all week.

Love a good stagsnet expert opinion... "Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it" I think that's the most absurd comment I've seen on here. Mrs knows what he's doing

Not a good resolution from Jamie but in a rare occurrence I agree with him.

A chap I go with who runs his own garden business and in his words if this means anything to anybody, "he knew the forecasts and has had two weeks to 'open up the top' "???

I think my solution is genius. Get a 2ft x 2ft fairly thick sheet of metal. Weld a load of thin spikes to it. Put a long handle on the other side and go round putting loads of small holes through the compacted layer to release water down to the drainage below. Isnt thar what 'opening the top' essentially is anyway and no doubt similar to what this machine they're gonna rent will do. With a couple of people and a whole week to kill it might have worked.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Saw games this morning on Quest...….pitches cut up over many of the lower division game highlights...ouch!

Probably for the best the game didn't go ahead yesterday which would have battered the pitch.

With hindsight.

(Stags v Spurs at FM years ago and a Glenn Hoddle with no mud on his shorts scored with a free kick late on and tbh it was a debacle of a game but a great mudfest!)
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:48 pm

Jamie wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Love a good stagsnet expert opinion... "Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it" I think that's the most absurd comment I've seen on here. Mrs knows what he's doing

Not a good resolution from Jamie but in a rare occurrence I agree with him.

A chap I go with who runs his own garden business and in his words if this means anything to anybody, "he knew the forecasts and has had two weeks to 'open up the top' "???

I think my solution is genius. Get a 2ft x 2ft fairly thick sheet of metal. Weld a load of thin spikes to it. Put a long handle on the other side and go round putting loads of small holes through the compacted layer to release water down to the drainage below. Isnt thar what 'opening the top' essentially is anyway and no doubt similar to what this machine they're gonna rent will do. With a couple of people and a whole week to kill it might have worked.

Or....get all those angry Stags fans stomping all over the pitch with a load of thin spikes on their shoes?

That should just about do it (sic).... ;)

COYS!

ps Jamie...are you really a genius (rhetorical me owd)
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:05 am

I am Spartacus wrote:
adamstag wrote:Looking at the pics it was obvious the game couldn’t go ahead.

Though it’s odd that Clipstone can get their game on but our system etc can’t get a league game on. Not a good look.

The pitch in general this season has been of a poor quality which is quite a surprise, have we got a new grounds man?

I take it you have based this post on comparison of games played / games called off for both Field Mill and the Lido ground? Or Not?

Clippo’s ground is well renowned in footballing circles for always playing games that will be on, same way at Blidworth’s will be off and the Welfare pitch at Forest Town not the former cricket square that AFC Mansfield play on will be on.

The groundsman is and has done a great job. Though some locations, such as Clippo being an open location for wind to dry the pitch, ground made up of easily draining sand will have an advantage. Most former Welfare pitches with the exception of Staveleys always perform well.

Like Martin said, two off in five years is testament to the hard work all at the club do. Did you see the state of Morecambes pitch a couple of weeks ago? Just as muddy as ours.

If, due to a lack of a game this week you are missing out on a drama upon which to comment, watch a Coronation Street omnibus and then write off to ITV. Should keep you occupied for a few hours.

No groundsman could have got the game on with the pitch in that inspection - a few of the groundstaff were in the Wheatsheaf and showed us pictures - there was just no chance - especially with the weather after the Newport game also.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:18 am

Fgs give it a rest.

The game was off, maybe a blessing, now live your lives until the next game.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby QuarrydaleStag21 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:23 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Just arrived at the pub for the prematch drink only to find that the game is off after coming from Nottingham.

How come the club can't send out an email or a text to prevent this. The commercial department send out emails to us all the time....why can't someone do it for this. Not everyone is glued to the Forum

Seriously ........ ?

Weather's been great all morning in Nottingham. Never occurred to me it'd be off after the Newport game was played

Weather in spain is fantastic ,but even i knew it was off , the news has been full of weather warnings ,must be the silliest post ive ever read on here

Wait... you live in Spain?
QuarrydaleStag21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:59 am

I often say that all the best players, managers and referees are to found in the stands.

Last week, it became apparent that the same applies to radio commentators.

Now, it seems, I have to add meteorologists, ground-staff and turf technologists.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:04 am

QuarrydaleStag21 wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Just arrived at the pub for the prematch drink only to find that the game is off after coming from Nottingham.

How come the club can't send out an email or a text to prevent this. The commercial department send out emails to us all the time....why can't someone do it for this. Not everyone is glued to the Forum

Seriously ........ ?

Weather's been great all morning in Nottingham. Never occurred to me it'd be off after the Newport game was played

Weather in spain is fantastic ,but even i knew it was off , the news has been full of weather warnings ,must be the silliest post ive ever read on here

The clues are there
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 pm

QuarrydaleStag21 wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Seriously ........ ?

Quarrydale stag tries irony massive fail ironic :D
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum