{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Yey another negative Manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Yey another negative Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:23 am

I don't think he is a negative manager, he just made the wrong call.

Why on earth he thought bringing on Preston would help the situation heaven knows.

To a lesser degree the bringing on of CJ achieved little, although I and others around me were hoping he would come on for the last 20 and run into the ground, didn't happen, silly me for even thinking that.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:54 am

Dave Wayne wrote:GC came to us leading into the xmas period when games came thick and fast so there wasnt much time on the training ground.
Now he has had the opportunity to mould the squad in training and in the transfer market there are signs of improvement in the performances.
Yes it went wrong at the end yesterday, but we have taken 4 points from 3 games this week. If we continue doing that for the rest of the season we will end up on 51 points which is safety, the remit I expect he was given on arrival.
We can't judge GC for at least another year as he has taken over a poorly performing squad in mid season. Get off his back and give him time.

Spot On
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:43 am

CassellsCap wrote:The eleven picked to start should be on for 90 mins or don’t pick them. Subs for players injured is obvious but making changes is because the selection wasn’t right to start with and that’s down to whoever picks the team...making subs nowadays is just a way for a manager to try and right his wrongs.

Name me 1 successful manager who doesn't use substitutions outside of injuries.

As with everything you don't know for sure what the alternative would have done. It's easy to say "that" was wrong you should have done "this" instead. For all we know that could have lost us all 3 points rather than just 2 we also could have won or drew.

He essentially promised CJ he'd come off the bench in the pre match interview.

Players tire towards the end of the game so you freshen things up when winning with like for like changes. When drawing you make a sub to change something slightly and when losing you make a double sub to try something else.

Yesterdays game showcased it. They were 2-0 down and they made a double sub to change the game. We made a sub and played a player out of position to replace a player in position. They scored. They freshened their attack up after the goal and we responded by shuffling the defence around. Sweeney moved from the right to the left and Preston went on the right, Watts went into midield. Too much change for me.

Coughlan got the last sub wrong. If he wanted to freshen up the defence then you swap a defender for a defender. Doesn't make him a bad manager.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Why does supporters blame the manager......

Statistic time......

February 2019 Notts County away downward spiral of Mansfield Town

Present Day......

3 Managers

Same team

I think the problem maybe with the team failing to follow instructions....

And before some bright spark says this player that player as come n gone the majority of the defence and midfield have been the same.

Next season is the season to start judging GC after he's shipped out the entire dress that keeps stealing a wage from the club and GC as is own team in place.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:03 pm

We're conceding far too many from set pieces, for me that has to come down to the manager.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:16 pm

SINA, I don't think anyone has said the personnel hasn't changed. I do find it funny though that some were blaming Flitcroft for the missed opportunity last season but now are saying its not the manager. Which is it? It's either the players or the manager. You can't switch around to suit.

The defensive unit hasn't changed much yet half of those playing were in the team of the season last season. That's not a fluke, you don't accidentally get put in that team.

Fact of the matter is Flitcroft was sacked (rightly or wrongly isn't the debate anymore) and was replaced by the youth boss. There were signs in pre season that we weren't prepared enough and now we can't do 3 games in 8 days. Building fitness mid season is a very difficult task. This season is a write off. Has been for months now. Just avoid relegation and build again.

You are correct that we wait until next season. His results are with knackered players. How many games have we started strongly and then just get knackered.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:06 pm

I think GC has made a couple of mistakes in the last two games. I think it was a mistake to chuck Kelland Watts straight into centre midfield at Oldham. He would have been better off playing him in a back three like yesterday.

Yesterday he made the mistakes with his substitutions. If he is going to bring CJ on then he needs to play him wide on the left or even as left wing back for Mal Benning. Gasheads said that one of GC strengths is that he plays players in their normal positions. He could even have left Charlie Charles Charles on the pitch as he was not tiring. There was also no need to change the defence with 10 minutes to go by bringing Psycho Prezzer on. The defence had been playing well. However the late equalizer was due to Ryan Sweeney conceding the free kick and Mal Benning missing the first header.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:... with 10 minutes to go by bringing Psycho Prezzer on. The defence had been playing well. However the late equalizer was due to Ryan Sweeney conceding the free kick and Mal Benning missing the first header.

ie. It was nothing to do with bringing Preston on.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:... with 10 minutes to go by bringing Psycho Prezzer on. The defence had been playing well. However the late equalizer was due to Ryan Sweeney conceding the free kick and Mal Benning missing the first header.

Yes but by bringing Preston on it meant moving watts from LCB to midfield, Sweeney from RCB to LCB. Lots of positional changes to make in the last ten minutes of a game when said players were having good games in these positions. It would of caused a bit of confusion getting use to the new positions and an unnecessary risk when it was obvious Carlisle we’re going to Chuck the kitchen sink at us for the last ten minutes.

Hamilton replacing Charsley was a strange one too. We lost a massive foothold in midfield and effectively went from 3 CMs to 2 CMs and Hamilton who wouldn’t retain possession anywhere near as well as Charsley can.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:43 pm

I agree Matt Preston was not at fault for the goal Martin but it was a mistake to change the defence. You never change your defence if they are playing well. Bringing on Matt Preston for Nicky Maynard was a clear signal to Carlisle United that we were just trying to hang on until the final whistle. I think it also made the crowd and players more nervous and Matt Preston's lack of composure on the ball didn't help matters.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:09 pm

There were four players who could have done better to prevent the equaliser. And none of them was Preston.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:There were four players who could have done better to prevent the equaliser. And none of them was Preston.
Exactly. Thing is some fans have to have a scapegoat. Logan has gone so it's Preston now.

The facts don't seem to come into it..

If Logan was still with us and had conceded those goals he would have been slaughtered on here.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:There were four players who could have done better to prevent the equaliser. And none of them was Preston.
Exactly. Thing is some fans have to have a scapegoat. Logan has gone so it's Preston now.

The facts don't seem to come into it..

If Logan was still with us and had conceded those goals he would have been slaughtered on here.

Preston has the same effect on the crowd at the moment. He's been so poor this season he makes everyone nervous.
As a player I'm sure he's aware he's let himself down this season, the problem is once that gets in a players head, they lose their composure (look at any striker in a goal drought).
He had no part in the goal & it's daft to blame him, what he did to was shank a couple of easy clearances straight up into the air and blast a simple pass out for a goal kick when a through ball was on.
His only way back to form will be to play through it, but the defence looks much better without him at the moment.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

On Preston, he was not at fault for the goal, but I’m trying to understand the logic behind bringing him on. Given GC told the press recently that Preston had come to him saying he really need help due to poor form, is he really someone you want to be bringing on to sure up a defence that had conceded one fluke goal from a cross in nearly two games before that, especially considering Preston has given away at least two goals since GC arrived?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

On Preston, he was not at fault for the goal, but I’m trying to understand the logic behind bringing him on. Given GC told the press recently that Preston had come to him saying he really need help due to poor form, is he really someone you want to be bringing on to sure up a defence that had conceded one fluke goal from a cross in nearly two games before that, especially considering Preston has given away at least two goals since GC arrived?

I'm trying to understand why the most talked about player on here and facebook regarding yesterday's game is Preston. When he had zero impact on the result. There were 4 players who were at fault for the equaliser, and they are barely getting a mention.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 pm

The equaliser was definitely nothing to do with Preston him self. What I’m alluding to was the subsitution was a factor in the equalising goal. It caused players to change position for the last and most important/pressurised ten minutes of the game.

Imo the fault of the 2 goal surrender were down to a bad GK mistake and poor substitutions and tactics from the manager.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:11 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:The equaliser was definitely nothing to do with Preston him self. What I’m alluding to was the subsitution was a factor in the equalising goal. It caused players to change position for the last and most important/pressurised ten minutes of the game.

Imo the fault of the 2 goal surrender were down to a bad GK mistake and poor substitutions and tactics from the manager.

at the risk of repeating myself, the reason we conceded the equaliser was Sweeney's unnecessary foul, Benning missing the ball at the near post, then Rose missing it, and finally Watts losing his man Kayode. The substitution had no impact at all. Sweeney was in the position that he has played 99% of his career in, and so were the other players. If someone was in an unusual position for themselves, then that would have been a point.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Sweeney wouldn’t have been on the left had he not made the chance, so you can’t say it had no impact. Literally every post about it has not blamed Preston for the goal, they’re just saying it was a pointless substitution, done for the sake of it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:50 pm

daddycool wrote:If we keep giving away stupid fouls around the area we will always struggle ,the first goal a fluke the second from a foul. .
Agreed ,Preston substitution was strange but he had nothing to do with the goals

Can’t argue with that
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:52 pm

diablo wrote:I doubt that there was one fan at the match today who understood the Managers tactics in the last 10 minutes of the game . Cruising at 2-0 he changes the pattern and two goals are conceded. Totally negative in my opinion..Mr Coughlin hasn't anyone ever told you the best form of defence is attack. We should have been going for the third goal and not going defensive. Why have you stopped leaving 2 attackers up tops when the opposition get a corner? Today Carlisle's final attack saw 21 players in the box and virtually every supporter knew we were odds on to concede , everyone except you.

And your coaching qualifications are ??
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Sweeney wouldn’t have been on the left had he not made the chance, so you can’t say it had no impact. Literally every post about it has not blamed Preston for the goal, they’re just saying it was a pointless substitution, done for the sake of it.

my point was that Sweeney has spent 99% of his career in that position. I do not believe for one second that Sweeney would use it as an excuse for his mistake. It was his mistake to concede the free kick, pure and simple.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:23 pm

yorkstag wrote:
diablo wrote:I doubt that there was one fan at the match today who understood the Managers tactics in the last 10 minutes of the game . Cruising at 2-0 he changes the pattern and two goals are conceded. Totally negative in my opinion..Mr Coughlin hasn't anyone ever told you the best form of defence is attack. We should have been going for the third goal and not going defensive. Why have you stopped leaving 2 attackers up tops when the opposition get a corner? Today Carlisle's final attack saw 21 players in the box and virtually every supporter knew we were odds on to concede , everyone except you.

And your coaching qualifications are ??

Yorkstag - you must realise by now that the world’s best football managers sit in the stands. They sit alongside the world’s best referees and the world’s most knowledgable football financiers.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:26 pm

I thought Sweeney was quite unsure for all the first 80 odd minutes playing at right centre back and was quite relieved when he was switched to his natural position of left centre back.

His only mistake was trying to bully that 12 year old McKirdy and giving away a free kick in the last ten minutes.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:54 pm

Would you have switched Ryan Sweeney on 88 minutes though Pete? I thought Ryan Sweeney played well and was a lot more comfortable at right centre back than when he played there last season.

I was surprised Harry McKirdy was on the bench. I think he's another that has attitude problems. I'd swap him for Otis Khan though. He's scored 5 goals this season. He probably does not press hard enough for GC.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Jury still out on GC
Honest and hard working and will and should get a full pre season and some of his own signings in but that sub on Sat was criminal.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum